all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* elisp newbie: simplifying from cl structures?
@ 2015-02-07 22:39 Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2015-02-07 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs list

This is a simple code question: I've got myself a little turned around and
Practical Common Lisp just isn't coming to my mind right now (if it would
apply anyway). Here's the situation: I've vastly simplified a set of
functions, no longer needing various variables and assuming things (like
the use of SSL). But I've gotten myself tangled up trying to simplify the
old functions; now I get errors about expecting cl-list functions. I'm sure
an experienced elisper will be able to set me straight with a glance. The
purpose of this function is to look at my "From:" line in an email, compare
it against a table, and use that to set the smtp variables that will be
needed to grab the right info from my .authinfo. Here's the original, which
I grabbed from someone's site[1] and have used successfully in older
versions of emacs for years (note: it's mostly just the control structure
that's confused me):

;; (defun change-smtp ()
;;   "Change the SMTP server according to the current from line."
;;   (save-excursion
;;     (loop with from = (save-restriction
;;             (message-narrow-to-headers)
;;             (message-fetch-field "from"))
;;       for (auth-mech address . auth-spec) in smtp-accounts
;;       when (string-match address from) do (cond
;;                            ((memq auth-mech '(cram-md5 plain login))
;;                         (return (apply 'set-smtp (cons auth-mech
auth-spec))))
;;                            ((eql auth-mech 'ssl)
;;                         (return (apply 'set-smtp-ssl auth-spec)))
;;                            (t (error "Unrecognized SMTP auth. mechanism:
;; `%s'." auth-mech))) finally (error "Cannot infer SMTP information."))))

Here is the not-quite working (won't evaluate) version I'm trying to build,
now that I assume ssl and have dropped the variables in auth-spec:
(defun change-smtp ()
  "Change the SMTP server according to the current from line."
  (save-excursion
    (loop with from = (save-restriction
            (message-narrow-to-headers)
            (message-fetch-field "from"))
      for (address server . port) in smtp-accounts
      if (string-match address from) (return (apply 'set-smtp server port
address)))
    (error "Cannot infer SMTP information.")))

And, to be complete, here is the data and function backing the problem
function above, although they should be fine:

(defvar smtp-accounts
  "Accounts to be matched against outgoing messages' 'from' field. Assumes
SSL. Of format `%address' `%server' `%port'.
This will be used to match against the .authinfo file."
  '(
    ("me@mine.com" "mail.mine.com" 26);; Personal
    ("mail@me.com" "mail.mine3.com" 26);; Professional
    ("me2@mine.com" "mail.mine2.com" 26) ;; Web development
    ("mine@gmail.com" "smtp.gmail.com" 587) ;; Public
    ))

(defun set-smtp (server port user)
  "Set related SMTP variables for supplied parameters. String `user' will
not be evaluated."
  (setq smtpmail-smtp-server server smtpmail-smtp-service port)
  (message "Setting SMTP server to `%s:%s' for user `%s'."
       server port user))

A little help (with brief explanation) with the change-smtp function would
be much appreciated.

Footnotes:
[1]
http://www.mostlymaths.net/2010/12/emacs-30-day-challenge-using-gnus-to.html

* Re: elisp newbie: simplifying from cl structures?
@ 2015-02-07 23:16 ` John Mastro
       [not found]   ` <mailman.19493.1423351600.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: John Mastro @ 2015-02-07 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tory S. Anderson; +Cc: emacs list

Tory S. Anderson <torys.anderson@gmail.com> wrote:

> (defun change-smtp ()
>   "Change the SMTP server according to the current from line."
>   (save-excursion
>     (loop with from = (save-restriction
>             (message-narrow-to-headers)
>             (message-fetch-field "from"))
>       for (address server . port) in smtp-accounts
>       if (string-match address from) (return (apply 'set-smtp server port
> address)))
>     (error "Cannot infer SMTP information.")))

Try this (untested, sorry):

    (defun change-smtp ()
      "Change the SMTP server according to the current from line."
      (save-excursion
        (cl-loop with from = (save-restriction
                               (message-narrow-to-headers)
                               (message-fetch-field "from"))
                 for (address server port) in smtp-accounts
                 if (string-match address from)
                 return (funcall 'set-smtp server port address))
        (error "Cannot infer SMTP information.")))

I think there were three issues:

1. return is a cl-loop keyword, so it shouldn't be in parenthesis
   as if it were a function. That's the error you were getting.

2. The use of apply needed to change to funcall

3. And then it made sense to change from `for (address server . port)'
   to `for (address server port)'. The difference (given the shape of
   smtp-accounts) is that, in the former case, port will be a list
   containing a single integer, whereas in the latter case it will be an
   integer.

I also changed `loop' to `cl-loop', as is now preferred.

--
john

* Re: elisp newbie: simplifying from cl structures?
@ 2015-02-07 23:26   ` John Mastro
       [not found]   ` <mailman.19493.1423351600.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: John Mastro @ 2015-02-07 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tory S. Anderson; +Cc: emacs list

>     (defun change-smtp ()
>       "Change the SMTP server according to the current from line."
>       (save-excursion
>         (cl-loop with from = (save-restriction
>                                (message-narrow-to-headers)
>                                (message-fetch-field "from"))
>                  for (address server port) in smtp-accounts
>                  if (string-match address from)
>                  return (funcall 'set-smtp server port address))
>         (error "Cannot infer SMTP information.")))

Second try. The return won't escape the `error' in the above.

@ 2015-02-08  0:37     ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
       [not found]       ` <mailman.19507.1423366427.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2015-02-08  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

John Mastro <john.b.mastro@gmail.com> writes:

>>     (defun change-smtp ()
>>       "Change the SMTP server according to the current from line."
>>       (save-excursion
>>         (cl-loop with from = (save-restriction
>>                                (message-narrow-to-headers)
>>                                (message-fetch-field "from"))
>>                  for (address server port) in smtp-accounts
>>                  if (string-match address from)
>>                  return (funcall 'set-smtp server port address))
>>         (error "Cannot infer SMTP information.")))
>
> Second try. The return won't escape the `error' in the above.
>
>     (defun change-smtp ()
>       "Change the SMTP server according to the current from line."
>       (save-excursion
>         (cl-loop with from = (save-restriction
>                                (message-narrow-to-headers)
>                                (message-fetch-field "from"))
>                  for (address server port) in smtp-accounts
>                  if (string-match address from)
>                  return (funcall 'set-smtp server port address)
>                  finally (error "Cannot infer SMTP information."))))

    do (if  (string-match address from)
        (return (funcall 'set-smtp server port address)))
    finally (error "Cannot infer SMTP information.")

will.

* Re: elisp newbie: simplifying from cl structures?
@ 2015-02-08  3:33       ` Tory S. Anderson
       [not found]       ` <mailman.19507.1423366427.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2015-02-08  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Pascal J. Bourguignon, John Mastro; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for helping me straighten the code out and gain better understanding cl-tools and structure; it loads and mostly works. Thanks!

(defun change-smtp ()
  "Change the SMTP server according to the current from line."
  (save-excursion
    (cl-loop with from = (save-restriction
			   (message-narrow-to-headers)
			   (message-fetch-field "from"))
	     for (address server port) in smtp-accounts
	     do (if  (string-match address from)
		    (return (funcall 'set-smtp server port address))
		  (message "Failed to match %s with %s" address from))
	     finally (error "Cannot infer SMTP information."))))

(add-hook 'message-send-mail-hook 'change-smtp)

@ 2015-02-08  3:37         ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2015-02-08  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> Thanks for helping me straighten the code out and gain better
> understanding cl-tools and structure; it loads and mostly
> works. Thanks!
>
> (defun change-smtp ()
>   "Change the SMTP server according to the current from line."
>   (save-excursion
>     (cl-loop with from = (save-restriction
> 			   (message-narrow-to-headers)
> 			   (message-fetch-field "from"))
> 	     for (address server port) in smtp-accounts
> 	     do (if  (string-match address from)
> 		    (return (funcall 'set-smtp server port address))
> 		  (message "Failed to match %s with %s" address from))
> 	     finally (error "Cannot infer SMTP information."))))
>
> (add-hook 'message-send-mail-hook 'change-smtp)

Ok, but now, you should consider that this functions is performing
several tasks of different order: some parsing of a message is done, as
well as some searching for smtp configuration, and some setting of smtp
configuration.  That's a lot for a single function.

It would be better if you split it as follow, which would give you two
nice reusable functions, and makes change-smtp clearer:

(defun message-from-field ()
  "Find the from field in the current buffer that must contain a message."
  (save-excursion
   (save-restriction
    (message-narrow-to-headers)
    (message-fetch-field "from"))))

(defun find-smtp-account (address accounts)
  "Find the first account in `accounts' whose address matches `address'."
  (find from accounts :key (function first)
                           :test (lambda (from address)
                                   (string-match address from))))

(defun change-smtp ()
  (let ((from (message-from-field)))
    (destructuring-bind (address server port) (find-smtp-account from smtp-accounts)
      (if address
          (funcall 'set-smtp server port address)
          (error "Cannot not infer SMTP information")))))