all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* calc: putting the top of the stack in the kill ring
@ 2015-03-11 13:07 Rainer Thiel
From: Rainer Thiel @ 2015-03-11 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am sorry if I am missing something very basic here, but I cannot seem
to find a way to put the result on top of the stack in the kill ring.  I
am aware of the `Kill and Yank' section of the calc manual, but the
problem is that M-w (calc-copy-region-as-kill) always copies the whole
line.

So when I say

   2
   3+

I get

   5

but what is copied to the kill-ring with M-w is `1:  5'.

Is there any easy way of copying only the number on stack (`5', in this
case) into the kill-ring?

Many thanks in advance

Rainer
--
Prof. Dr. Rainer Thiel
Institut für Altertumswissenschaften

* Re: calc: putting the top of the stack in the kill ring
       [not found] <mailman.1839.1426079711.31049.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-03-11 13:42 ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2015-03-11 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rainer Thiel <r.thiel@uni-jena.de> writes:

> I am sorry if I am missing something very basic here, but I cannot seem
> to find a way to put the result on top of the stack in the kill ring.  I
> am aware of the `Kill and Yank' section of the calc manual, but the
> problem is that M-w (calc-copy-region-as-kill) always copies the whole
> line.
>
> So when I say
>
>    2
>    3+
>
> I get
>
>    5
>
> but what is copied to the kill-ring with M-w is `1:  5'.
>
> Is there any easy way of copying only the number on stack (`5', in this
> case) into the kill-ring?

I don't know if there is already a possibility to get just the value
(opposed to the whole line) into the kill-ring.

But there is C-x * y.  You can use it typically in a buffer to get the
top of the stack into that buffer.

You might also consider to use 'y' from within the calc buffer.

Bye,
                                          Marco
--
http://www.wahlzone.de
GPG: 0x49010A040A3AE6F2

* Re: calc: putting the top of the stack in the kill ring
@ 2015-03-11 20:23   ` Rainer Thiel
From: Rainer Thiel @ 2015-03-11 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-03-11, 14:42 +0100, Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com> wrote:

> But there is C-x * y.  You can use it typically in a buffer to get the
> top of the stack into that buffer.
>
> You might also consider to use 'y' from within the calc buffer.

Thank you!  That is even better than what I thought should be possible.

Many thanks again

Rainer
--

@ 2015-03-11 23:09 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-03-11 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rainer Thiel <r.thiel@uni-jena.de> writes:

> ... the problem is that M-w
> (calc-copy-region-as-kill) always copies the whole
> line.
>
> So when I say
>
>    2 3+
>
> I get
>
>    5
>
> but what is copied to the kill-ring with M-w is `1:
> 5'.

Indeed, that's strange. The `C-x * y' proposed is
probably what you need in most (all?) cases, but
nevertheless it goes against instinct that M-w should
ever kill anything that isn't in the region.

So, if you still want what you first asked for, you
can use the ordinary, all-Emacs `kill-ring-save' just
the same with the Calculator. You must use it
(kill-ring-save) interactively either with

    M-x kill-ring-save RET

or, if you put it in an Elisp wrapper (a defun), like
this:

    (call-interactively 'kill-ring-save)

That way, you don't have to fiddle with the
beginning/end of the region manually.

Then bind it to a shortcut. If you find you never use
`calc-copy-region-as-kill' you might even put your it
as M-w, plain and simple.

--
underground experts united