all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* tramp: put X forwarding and custom port to ssh
@ 2015-07-13 18:54 Biocyberman
From: Biocyberman @ 2015-07-13 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Emacs users

I am a new emacs user,and I thought the problem I have is solved long time
ago. However, after many google searched, I could not find a working
solution.

The goal:
I have a working X forwarding setup when working with SSH outside emacs.
Since TRAMP is so attractive, I want to make X forwarding work inside emacs
as well. This will help  me to run ESS and R code on a remote server and
output graphics on my local mointor.

What I tried:
I followed the manual at item 5.4.1 here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/tramp/Remote-processes.html
. I failed with the error described here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30043608/unable-to-start-device-x11cairo-in-r-on-mac-10-10.
I also tried and get this method working:
http://www.r-bloggers.com/run-a-remote-r-session-in-emacs-emacs-ess-r-ssh.
However, it still involves multiple steps.

Alternatively, I can manually modify the ssh connection method in
tramp-methods of the tramp.el file. But since it is a common issue to many,
I want to ask for a simpler/common solution.

Thanks
Vang

* Re: tramp: put X forwarding and custom port to ssh
@ 2015-07-14 12:37 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2015-07-14 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Biocyberman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Biocyberman <biocyberman@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Emacs users

Hi,

> The goal:
> I have a working X forwarding setup when working with SSH outside emacs.
> Since TRAMP is so attractive, I want to make X forwarding work inside emacs
> as well. This will help  me to run ESS and R code on a remote server and
> output graphics on my local mointor.
>
> What I tried:
> I followed the manual at item 5.4.1 here:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/tramp/Remote-processes.html
> . I failed with the error described here:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30043608/unable-to-start-device-x11cairo-in-r-on-mac-10-10.

If it doesn't help to set DISPLAY on the remote server via Tramp, you
could apply the second tip on this page:

"Another trick might be that you put ForwardX11 yes or ForwardX11Trusted
yes to your ~/.ssh/config file for that host."

Have you tried this?

> Thanks
> Vang

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: tramp: put X forwarding and custom port to ssh
@ 2015-07-15 22:50   ` Biocyberman
From: Biocyberman @ 2015-07-15 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Michael,
Thank you for your email. I tried both. At first I thought "ForwardX11 yes"
or "ForwardX11Trusted yes" is only meaningful to put on
/etc/ssh/sshd_config, which configure the ssh_server. But then I did it
anyway, and that did not help neither. I am lost on this now, If you or
someone have a working system, I would be grateful to see the configuration.

Best regards
Vang

@ 2015-07-16  6:03     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2015-07-16  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Biocyberman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Biocyberman <biocyberman@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi,

> Thank you for your email. I tried both. At first I thought "ForwardX11
> yes" or "ForwardX11Trusted yes" is only meaningful to put on
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config, which configure the ssh_server. But then I did
> it anyway, and that did not help neither. I am lost on this now, If
> you or someone have a working system, I would be grateful to see the
> configuration.

You must edit it in your ~/.ssh/config file. I for example have there

Host fencepost
	HostName	fencepost.gnu.org
	User		albinus
	ForwardX11	yes
	ForwardAgent	yes

Due to this, I can connect to that host as "/ssh:fencepost:".

> Best regards
> Vang

Best regards, Michael.