all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Turning scrollbar off in emacsclient frames
@ 2015-09-09  2:26 Ning Shi
From: Ning Shi @ 2015-09-09  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I switched to use emacsclient recently and found that the scrollbar
always appears in the frame created by emacsclient. I have
scroll-bar-mode set to nil using customize and scrollbars don't appear
if I start a standalone emacs. What else should I check or set to hide
scrollbars in emacsclient frames?

Ning

* Re: Turning scrollbar off in emacsclient frames
@ 2015-09-09  3:25 ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2015-09-09  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-09-08 22:26 -0400, Ning Shi wrote:

> I switched to use emacsclient recently and found that the scrollbar
> always appears in the frame created by emacsclient. I have
> scroll-bar-mode set to nil using customize and scrollbars don't appear
> if I start a standalone emacs. What else should I check or set to hide
> scrollbars in emacsclient frames?

Customize default-frame-alist and as one of the parameters include
vertical-scroll-bars = nil.

* Re: Turning scrollbar off in emacsclient frames
@ 2015-09-09 11:19 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2015-09-09 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ning Shi <zeegeek@gmail.com> writes:

> I switched to use emacsclient recently and found that the scrollbar
> always appears in the frame created by emacsclient. I have
> scroll-bar-mode set to nil using customize and scrollbars don't appear
> if I start a standalone emacs. What else should I check or set to hide
> scrollbars in emacsclient frames?

Please use M-x report-emacs-bug for informing the Emacs maintainers
about this issue.

It also happens if you put (scroll-bar-mode -1) in your .emacs?

* Re: Turning scrollbar off in emacsclient frames
@ 2015-09-09 12:56   ` John Yates
From: John Yates @ 2015-09-09 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 11:25 PM, Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> wrote:

> Customize default-frame-alist and as one of the parameters include
> vertical-scroll-bars = nil.

Alternatively, if you are on running under X you can customize your
~/.Xresources.  Here is mine:

Emacs.font: Dina-13
Emacs.fullscreen: maximized
Emacs.background: black
Emacs.foreground: white
Emacs.menuBar: off
Emacs.toolBar: off
Emacs.horizontalScrollBars: off
Emacs.verticalScrollBars:   off

This seems to avoid a lot of flashing and frame resizing before emacs
settles into its initial configuration.

* Re: Turning scrollbar off in emacsclient frames
@ 2015-09-09 13:44   ` Ning Shi
From: Ning Shi @ 2015-09-09 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> writes:

> Customize default-frame-alist and as one of the parameters include
> vertical-scroll-bars = nil.

I tried this and it didn't work, either. However, what's interesting is
that if I remove (scroll-bar-mode nil) from customize, and leave
(vertical-scroll-bars) in default-frame-alist, then the scrollbar is
gone.

I've also tried (scroll-bar-mode -1) without setting
(vertical-scroll-bars) in default-frame-alist, it didn't remove the
scrollbars.

It seems like scroll-bar-mode doesn't work with emacsclient frames. Not
only that, putting it in customize will somehow override the
(vertical-scroll-bars) setting in default-frame-alist.

--
Ning