all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* file-notify-tests.el hanging for nextstep builds on OS X?
@ 2015-10-11 19:13 John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2015-10-11 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Before I track this down further, is file-notify-tests.el hanging indefinitely
for anyone else during a build of HEAD?  I'm using Nix to do the build, so it
could be a complication from that environment, but I wanted to check here
first, to make sure I'm not missing something trivial.

XCode 6.4, OS X 10.10.5, using Clang 3.6.2.

Thanks,
  John

* Re: file-notify-tests.el hanging for nextstep builds on OS X?
@ 2015-10-11 19:20 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-10-11 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "John Wiegley" <johnw@newartisans.com>
> Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:13:46 -0700
>
> Before I track this down further, is file-notify-tests.el hanging indefinitely
> for anyone else during a build of HEAD?

Works OK here.

* Re: file-notify-tests.el hanging for nextstep builds on OS X?
@ 2015-10-11 19:32   ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2015-10-11 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: "John Wiegley" <johnw@newartisans.com>
>> Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:13:46 -0700
>>
>> Before I track this down further, is file-notify-tests.el hanging indefinitely
>> for anyone else during a build of HEAD?
>
> Works OK here.

On my Fedora x86-64 platform, file-notify tests sometimes work and sometimes
don't.  It seems pretty random.  I ignore the failures, just as I ignore the
failures in auto-revert etc.

* Re: file-notify-tests.el hanging for nextstep builds on OS X?
@ 2015-10-11 19:45     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-10-11 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: johnw, emacs-devel

> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
> Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:32:45 -0700
>
> On my Fedora x86-64 platform, file-notify tests sometimes work and sometimes
> don't.  It seems pretty random.  I ignore the failures, just as I ignore the
> failures in auto-revert etc.

I think you should report the details of the failures.  It's true that
due to event-driven nature of the underlying mechanisms these tests
are somewhat fragile, but it could be a real problem.

* Re: file-notify-tests.el hanging for nextstep builds on OS X?
@ 2015-10-12 11:43 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2015-10-12 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"John Wiegley" <johnw@newartisans.com> writes:

Hi John,

> Before I track this down further, is file-notify-tests.el hanging indefinitely
> for anyone else during a build of HEAD?  I'm using Nix to do the build, so it
> could be a complication from that environment, but I wanted to check here
> first, to make sure I'm not missing something trivial.
>
> XCode 6.4, OS X 10.10.5, using Clang 3.6.2.

Which test case? And which local and remote file notification libraries
/ commands are used?  `file-notify-test00-availability' and
`file-notify-test00-availability-remote' dump this out.

If the local library is `gfilenotify', pls show src/config.h. A
combination of HAVE_NS and HAVE_GFILENOTIFY is known not to
work. configure.ac should detect this situation, 'tho.

Unfortunately, I'm hindered to work on this due to health problems these
days. Will do as soon as I have recovered.

> Thanks,
>   John

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: file-notify-tests.el hanging for nextstep builds on OS X?
@ 2015-10-17  9:59   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2015-10-17  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi John,

>> Before I track this down further, is file-notify-tests.el hanging indefinitely
>> for anyone else during a build of HEAD?  I'm using Nix to do the build, so it
>> could be a complication from that environment, but I wanted to check here
>> first, to make sure I'm not missing something trivial.
>>
>> XCode 6.4, OS X 10.10.5, using Clang 3.6.2.
>
> Which test case? And which local and remote file notification libraries
> / commands are used?  `file-notify-test00-availability' and
> `file-notify-test00-availability-remote' dump this out.
>
> If the local library is `gfilenotify', pls show src/config.h. A
> combination of HAVE_NS and HAVE_GFILENOTIFY is known not to
> work. configure.ac should detect this situation, 'tho.

Ping. Could you, pls, provide the information?

>> Thanks,
>>   John

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: file-notify-tests.el hanging for nextstep builds on OS X?
@ 2015-10-18  0:14     ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2015-10-18  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> Which test case? And which local and remote file notification libraries
>> / commands are used?  `file-notify-test00-availability' and
>> `file-notify-test00-availability-remote' dump this out.
>>
>> If the local library is `gfilenotify', pls show src/config.h. A
>> combination of HAVE_NS and HAVE_GFILENOTIFY is known not to
>> work. configure.ac should detect this situation, 'tho.

> Ping. Could you, pls, provide the information?

It is in my queue, but may not be attended to for some time, since I have a
workaround for the time being. I'm keeping a link to this message in Org-mode,
and will return to it when I'm able.

John