all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* searching for one person's replies in a gnus mailbox only, and not the rest.
@ 2015-12-01 18:57 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2015-12-01 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-emacs

Is it possible to search for one particular persons email reply in a
gnus mailbox please? I mean so that only their replies are shown and
no-one else's? Currently when I search for somebodies rely, its
searching through all of the emails displayed, and its showing *all*
the emails in the mailbox with the ones that I'm interested in being
kept in date order along with the rest.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.0, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 24.5.1

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: searching for one person's replies in a gnus mailbox only, and not the rest.
@ 2015-12-01 23:46 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-12-01 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> Is it possible to search for one particular persons
> email reply in a gnus mailbox please? I mean so that
> only their replies are shown and no-one else's?
> Currently when I search for somebodies rely, its
> searching through all of the emails displayed, and
> its showing *all* the emails in the mailbox with the
> ones that I'm interested in being kept in date order
> along with the rest.

That is possible with `gnus-summary-limit-to-author'.
But I have experienced a "limit"ation with that
function, and that is that if I open a group with only
say 20 out of a total of 200 posts/mails, then
`gnus-summary-limit-to-author' will operate on only
those 20!

This might be what some people want but I think it is
confusing, so I wrote this to compensate - with this,
all 200 will be filtered regardless how many was
opened with the group to begin with.

(defun gnus-summary-search-author (author)
  "As `gnus-summary-limit-to-author',
only do this on all articles in the group,
not just those displayed."
  (interactive "sFrom: ")
  (gnus-summary-insert-old-articles t) ; ALL
  (gnus-summary-limit-to-author author) )

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: searching for one person's replies in a gnus mailbox only, and not the rest.
@ 2015-12-02 16:02   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-12-02 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wednesday,  2 Dec 2015 at 00:46, Emanuel Berg wrote:

[...]

> This might be what some people want but I think it is
> confusing, so I wrote this to compensate - with this,
> all 200 will be filtered regardless how many was
> opened with the group to begin with.

Yes, I agree.  I quite often do "/ o / a AUTHOR RET" as a result.

For the OP, the limit to author can also be applied after searching from
the Group buffer using G G.

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.5.1 + Ma Gnus v0.14 + evil-git-ff74cfb

* Re: searching for one person's replies in a gnus mailbox only, and not the rest.
@ 2015-12-03  0:30     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-12-03  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Yes, I agree. I quite often do "/ o / a AUTHOR RET"
> as a result.

    / o RET / a AUTHOR RET

OK, but I still like mine better.

> For the OP, the limit to author can also be applied
> after searching from the Group buffer using G G.

I'm not getting any hits with that. Should one mark
groups (with # or `gnus-group-mark-group'), then do
G G and then what do you input as "Query"?

--

@ 2015-12-03  8:47       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-12-03  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday,  3 Dec 2015 at 01:30, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>> For the OP, the limit to author can also be applied
>> after searching from the Group buffer using G G.
>
> I'm not getting any hits with that. Should one mark
> groups (with # or `gnus-group-mark-group'), then do
> G G and then what do you input as "Query"?

I typically use this on either a single group or a whole topic by simply
placing point on a group or on the topic heading.  For the query, I type
whatever I want, e.g. "Joe Bloggs" (without the quotes) if I want to
search for emails from/about that person.

--

@ 2015-12-04  0:33         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-12-04  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I'm not getting any hits with that. Should one mark
>> groups (with # or `gnus-group-mark-group'), then do
>> G G and then what do you input as "Query"?
>
> I typically use this on either a single group or
> a whole topic by simply placing point on a group or
> on the topic heading. For the query, I type whatever
> I want, e.g. "Joe Bloggs" (without the quotes) if
> I want to search for emails from/about that person.

Indeed, it works simply with point at a group (for
example gmane.emacs.help, without marking it), and
then just:

    G G Eric S Fraga RET

The reason it didn't work earlier was that I tried it
on mail.misc and mail.sent which both use nnml and not
nntp as does Gmane!

Good to know, only optimally, the same should work
transparently for both nnml and nntp, right?

--

@ 2015-12-05 11:06           ` Will O'Brien
From: Will O'Brien @ 2015-12-05 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 4 Dec 2015 00:23, "Emanuel Berg" <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

> The reason it didn't work earlier was that I tried it
> on mail.misc and mail.sent which both use nnml and not
> nntp as does Gmane!
>
> Good to know, only optimally, the same should work
> transparently for both nnml and nntp, right?

I believe it can be configured to work with nnml. You will need a custom
nnir backend. IIRC namazu and swish(e|++) can both be used here. I used the
former for a time before moving to mairix, which of course offers another
solution to the original question, plus is very fast.

Will

* Re: searching for one person's replies in a gnus mailbox only, and not the rest.
@ 2015-12-05 14:20             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-12-05 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Will O'Brien" <will.08rien@gmail.com> writes:

> On 4 Dec 2015 00:23, "Emanuel Berg" <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:
>>
>> The reason it didn't work earlier was that I tried it
>> on mail.misc and mail.sent which both use nnml and not
>> nntp as does Gmane!
>>
>> Good to know, only optimally, the same should work
>> transparently for both nnml and nntp, right?
>
> I believe it can be configured to work with nnml. You will need a custom
> nnir backend. IIRC namazu and swish(e|++) can both be used here. I used the
> former for a time before moving to mairix, which of course offers another
> solution to the original question, plus is very fast.

Right -- I think the main point, implicit in Will's answer, is that Gnus
doesn't index or search anything by itself. Nnir is its interface to the
search functionality provided by any given backend. Backends like nnimap
and nntp come with their own search abilities, but nnml is just files on
disk: you need a program to do the searching, then nnir will talk to
that program.

* Re: searching for one person's replies in a gnus mailbox only, and not the rest.
@ 2015-12-05 19:45               ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-12-05 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> The reason it didn't work earlier was that I tried
>>> it on mail.misc and mail.sent which both use nnml
>>> and not nntp as does Gmane! Good to know, only
>>> optimally, the same should work transparently for
>>> both nnml and nntp, right?
>>
>> I believe it can be configured to work with nnml.
>> You will need a custom nnir backend. IIRC namazu
>> and swish(e|++) can both be used here. ...
>
> Right -- I think the main point, implicit in Will's
> answer, is that Gnus doesn't index or search
> anything by itself. Nnir is its interface to the
> search functionality provided by any given backend.
> Backends like nnimap and nntp come with their own
> search abilities, but nnml is just files on disk:
> you need a program to do the searching, then nnir
> will talk to that program.

OK, so it should work like this:

    nnml -> nnir -> namazu, or swish(el++)

I'll be back if/when I get it to work...

--

@ 2015-12-05 20:47                 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-12-05 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> I believe it can be configured to work with nnml.
>>> You will need a custom nnir backend. IIRC namazu
>>> and swish(e|++) can both be used here. ...
>>
>> Right -- I think the main point, implicit in Will's
>> answer, is that Gnus doesn't index or search
>> anything by itself. Nnir is its interface to the
>> search functionality provided by any given backend.
>> Backends like nnimap and nntp come with their own
>> search abilities, but nnml is just files on disk:
>> you need a program to do the searching, then nnir
>> will talk to that program.
>
> OK, so it should work like this:
>
>     nnml -> nnir -> namazu, or swish(el++)
>
> I'll be back if/when I get it to work...

On Debian:

    sudo aptitude install namazu namazu2-index-tools

Then get this file:

    https://github.com/deftsp/.emacs.d/blob/master/packages/gnus-namazu.el

Gunzip (and restore the .el suffix), then move the
file to `load-path'.

In Emacs:

    (require 'gnus-namazu)
    (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "" (nnir-search-engine namazu))
                                          (nntp "news.gmane.org")
                                          (nntp "news.gwene.org")
                                          (nntp "news.gnus.org")
                                          ))

Then:

    M-x gnus-namazu-create-index RET

(wait)

    M-x gnus-namazu-search <search string> RET

This searches *all* groups, not just the one at point
as with `G G' (which still doesn't work for nnml,
perhaps some setting is still not in effect...)

--

@ 2015-12-06  2:08                   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-12-06  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> Right -- I think the main point, implicit in Will's
>>> answer, is that Gnus doesn't index or search
>>> anything by itself. Nnir is its interface to the
>>> search functionality provided by any given backend.
>>> Backends like nnimap and nntp come with their own
>>> search abilities, but nnml is just files on disk:
>>> you need a program to do the searching, then nnir
>>> will talk to that program.
>>
>> OK, so it should work like this:
>>
>>     nnml -> nnir -> namazu, or swish(el++)
>>
>> I'll be back if/when I get it to work...
>
> On Debian:
>
>     sudo aptitude install namazu namazu2-index-tools
>
> Then get this file:
>
>     https://github.com/deftsp/.emacs.d/blob/master/packages/gnus-namazu.el
>
> Gunzip (and restore the .el suffix), then move the
> file to `load-path'.
>
> In Emacs:
>
>     (require 'gnus-namazu)
>     (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "" (nnir-search-engine namazu))
>                                           (nntp "news.gmane.org")
>                                           (nntp "news.gwene.org")
>                                           (nntp "news.gnus.org")
>                                           ))
>
> Then:
>
>     M-x gnus-namazu-create-index RET
>
> (wait)
>
>     M-x gnus-namazu-search <search string> RET
>
> This searches *all* groups, not just the one at point
> as with `G G' (which still doesn't work for nnml,
> perhaps some setting is still not in effect...)

Have you checked the "will 8.1.3.6 The namazu Engine" section of the
gnus info manual? My guess is you'll still need to set the
`nnir-namazu-remove-prefix' variable. That might be enough, but check
that info page...

* Re: searching for one person's replies in a gnus mailbox only, and not the rest.
@ 2015-12-07  2:51                     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-12-07  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Have you checked the "will 8.1.3.6 The namazu
> Engine" section of the gnus info manual? My guess is
> you'll still need to set the
> `nnir-namazu-remove-prefix' variable. That might be
> enough, but check that info page...

Right. The problem was this variable

    nnir-namazu-index-directory

which correctly was/is

    /home/incal/Mail/namazu/

but I had run the indexing command in ~/News/namazu !

In ~/Mail/namazu, after the shell command

    $ mknmz --mailnews ~/Mail/mail/

it works in the Gnus Group buffer with `G G'.

Thanks!

--

@ 2015-12-07  3:14                       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-12-07  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Have you checked the "will 8.1.3.6 The namazu
>> Engine" section of the gnus info manual? My guess is
>> you'll still need to set the
>> `nnir-namazu-remove-prefix' variable. That might be
>> enough, but check that info page...
>
> Right. The problem was this variable
>
>     nnir-namazu-index-directory
>
> which correctly was/is
>
>     /home/incal/Mail/namazu/
>
> but I had run the indexing command in ~/News/namazu !
>
> In ~/Mail/namazu, after the shell command
>
>     $ mknmz --mailnews ~/Mail/mail/
>
> it works in the Gnus Group buffer with `G G'.
>
> Thanks!

Glad you got it set up!