all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* getting email offline in Emacs
@ 2017-04-05 10:20 Devin Prater
From: Devin Prater @ 2017-04-05 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all. Now that I've become mostly entrenched into Emacs, I want to get
away from straight up Imap gnus access. I want my mail to be fetched
regularly, without me having to "get new gnus" all the time, and I want
to be able to access that mail while offline. So, any way to do this? I
can handle editing config files, if that’s what it’ll take. So, I want
offline mail, with maybe a service checking the server every 5 or 10
minutes for new mail, without me having to deal with it once it’s set, a
little like how Thunderbird does it.
--
Sent from Discordia using Gnus for Emacs.
Email: r.d.t.prater@gmail.com

* Re: getting email offline in Emacs
@ 2017-04-05 15:29 ` Danny YUE
From: Danny YUE @ 2017-04-05 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Devin Prater; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2017-04-05 10:20, Devin Prater <r.d.t.prater@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all. Now that I've become mostly entrenched into Emacs, I want to get
> away from straight up Imap gnus access. I want my mail to be fetched
> regularly, without me having to "get new gnus" all the time, and I want
> to be able to access that mail while offline. So, any way to do this? I
> can handle editing config files, if that’s what it’ll take. So, I want
> offline mail, with maybe a service checking the server every 5 or 10
> minutes for new mail, without me having to deal with it once it’s set, a
> little like how Thunderbird does it.

Hi Devin,

There are many sample configuration out there but I think you may need
some experiences as references. :-)

For me, I am using getmail + crontab to fetch my emails.
getmail uses POP3 protocol to download mails to my machine so that I can
visit them offline.
crontab is really handy if you want to do something regularly and
automatically.

For Emacs side...well, I am using mu4e instead of gnus.
It is responsible to read my local mailbox and display them (i.e. as a
pure MUA).

Besides I use msmtp to send my email.

In conclusion, getmail and msmtp handles incoming and outgoing process,
so that I do not have to wait for Emacs to fetch...

P.S. I have not tried myself, but many people recommend OfflineIMAP
instead of getmail.

Good luck.

Danny

* Re: getting email offline in Emacs
@ 2017-04-05 15:56   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-04-05 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Danny YUE <sheepduke@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2017-04-05 10:20, Devin Prater <r.d.t.prater@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all. Now that I've become mostly entrenched into Emacs, I want to get
>> away from straight up Imap gnus access. I want my mail to be fetched
>> regularly, without me having to "get new gnus" all the time, and I want
>> to be able to access that mail while offline. So, any way to do this? I
>> can handle editing config files, if that’s what it’ll take. So, I want
>> offline mail, with maybe a service checking the server every 5 or 10
>> minutes for new mail, without me having to deal with it once it’s set, a
>> little like how Thunderbird does it.
>
> Hi Devin,
>
> There are many sample configuration out there but I think you may need
> some experiences as references. :-)
>
> For me, I am using getmail + crontab to fetch my emails.
> getmail uses POP3 protocol to download mails to my machine so that I can
> visit them offline.
> crontab is really handy if you want to do something regularly and
> automatically.
>
> For Emacs side...well, I am using mu4e instead of gnus.
> It is responsible to read my local mailbox and display them (i.e. as a
> pure MUA).
>
> Besides I use msmtp to send my email.
>
> In conclusion, getmail and msmtp handles incoming and outgoing process,
> so that I do not have to wait for Emacs to fetch...
>
> P.S. I have not tried myself, but many people recommend OfflineIMAP
> instead of getmail.

And often recommend isync instead of offlineimap!

* Re: getting email offline in Emacs
@ 2017-04-05 16:24     ` Danny YUE
From: Danny YUE @ 2017-04-05 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2017-04-05 15:56, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
> Danny YUE <sheepduke@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 2017-04-05 10:20, Devin Prater <r.d.t.prater@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all. Now that I've become mostly entrenched into Emacs, I want to get
>>> away from straight up Imap gnus access. I want my mail to be fetched
>>> regularly, without me having to "get new gnus" all the time, and I want
>>> to be able to access that mail while offline. So, any way to do this? I
>>> can handle editing config files, if that’s what it’ll take. So, I want
>>> offline mail, with maybe a service checking the server every 5 or 10
>>> minutes for new mail, without me having to deal with it once it’s set, a
>>> little like how Thunderbird does it.
>>
>> Hi Devin,
>>
>> There are many sample configuration out there but I think you may need
>> some experiences as references. :-)
>>
>> For me, I am using getmail + crontab to fetch my emails.
>> getmail uses POP3 protocol to download mails to my machine so that I can
>> visit them offline.
>> crontab is really handy if you want to do something regularly and
>> automatically.
>>
>> For Emacs side...well, I am using mu4e instead of gnus.
>> It is responsible to read my local mailbox and display them (i.e. as a
>> pure MUA).
>>
>> Besides I use msmtp to send my email.
>>
>> In conclusion, getmail and msmtp handles incoming and outgoing process,
>> so that I do not have to wait for Emacs to fetch...
>>
>> P.S. I have not tried myself, but many people recommend OfflineIMAP
>> instead of getmail.
>
> And often recommend isync instead of offlineimap!

Never heard of it ;-)
Seriously, how is it compared to getmail?

* Re: getting email offline in Emacs
@ 2017-04-05 16:30       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-04-05 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Danny YUE <sheepduke@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2017-04-05 15:56, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>> Danny YUE <sheepduke@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Hi Devin,
>>>
>>> There are many sample configuration out there but I think you may need
>>> some experiences as references. :-)
>>>
>>> For me, I am using getmail + crontab to fetch my emails.
>>> getmail uses POP3 protocol to download mails to my machine so that I can
>>> visit them offline.
>>> crontab is really handy if you want to do something regularly and
>>> automatically.
>>>
>>> For Emacs side...well, I am using mu4e instead of gnus.
>>> It is responsible to read my local mailbox and display them (i.e. as a
>>> pure MUA).
>>>
>>> Besides I use msmtp to send my email.
>>>
>>> In conclusion, getmail and msmtp handles incoming and outgoing process,
>>> so that I do not have to wait for Emacs to fetch...
>>>
>>> P.S. I have not tried myself, but many people recommend OfflineIMAP
>>> instead of getmail.
>>
>> And often recommend isync instead of offlineimap!
>
> Never heard of it ;-)
> Seriously, how is it compared to getmail?

To be honest, I have no idea. I heard more than a few people say it was
more reliable and less resource-hungry than offlineimap, but I don't
know anything about getmail...