all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2008-01-03 13:31 Ignoramus5311
From: Ignoramus5311 @ 2008-01-03 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

he is my hero from late childhood

what OS is he using?

thanks

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2008-01-03 14:19 ` rjack
       [not found] ` <o-CdnRhcrsF9c-HanZ2dnUVZ_remnZ2d@comcast.net>
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: rjack @ 2008-01-03 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ignoramus5311 wrote:
> he is my hero from late childhood
>
> what OS is he using?
>
> thanks

OpenBSD of course. Theo de Raadt is Stallman's hero.

Stallman could never get an F.S.F. operating system to work properly. He
tried to steal the Linux name as GNU/Linux but he never succeeded.

Regards,
rjack

-- "Standing involves two distinct inquiries. First, an Article III
federal court must ask whether a plaintiff has suffered sufficient
injury to satisfy the "case or controversy" requirement of Article III
... Second, if a plaintiff has suffered sufficient injury to satisfy
Article III, a federal court must ask whether a statute has conferred
"standing" on that plaintiff."; Cetacean Community v. Bush, 386 F.3d
1169 (United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit 2004) --

@ 2008-01-03 14:28   ` Ignoramus5311
From: Ignoramus5311 @ 2008-01-03 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2008-01-03, rjack <danw6144@insightbb.com> wrote:
> Ignoramus5311 wrote:
>> he is my hero from late childhood
>>
>> what OS is he using?
>>
>> thanks

> OpenBSD of course. Theo de Raadt is Stallman's hero.
>
> Stallman could never get an F.S.F. operating system to work properly. He
> tried to steal the Linux name as GNU/Linux but he never succeeded.

Linux is simply a shorter, easier version of saying GNU/Linux.

Similar to "US" being a shorter version of "USA".

Any GNU/Linux distro is a packaging of Linux kernel with GNU
programs. Most of these GNU programs (X, Gnome, KDE, binutils, gcc)
run under many kernels and operating systems, such as Linux, BSD, Sun,
MS Windows, and so on and so forth.

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2008-01-03 14:42     ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2008-01-03 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[FollowUp-To: set to gnu.emacs.help]

Ignoramus5311 wrote:
> Any GNU/Linux distro is a packaging of Linux kernel with GNU
> programs. Most of these GNU programs (X, Gnome, KDE, binutils, gcc)

you should read up on what GNU actually means. X, Gnome and KDE are not GNU
software.

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2008-01-03 14:53       ` Ignoramus5311
From: Ignoramus5311 @ 2008-01-03 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2008-01-03, Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [FollowUp-To: set to gnu.emacs.help]
>
> Ignoramus5311 wrote:
>> Any GNU/Linux distro is a packaging of Linux kernel with GNU
>> programs. Most of these GNU programs (X, Gnome, KDE, binutils, gcc)
>
> you should read up on what GNU actually means. X, Gnome and KDE are not GNU
> software.

try this: http://www.gnome.org/about/

``GNOME is Free Software and part of the GNU project, dedicated to
giving users and developers the ultimate level of control over their
desktops, their software, and their data. Find out more about the GNU
project and Free Software at gnu.org.''

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2008-01-03 14:56         ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2008-01-03 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ignoramus5311 wrote:
> On 2008-01-03, Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> you should read up on what GNU actually means. X, Gnome and KDE are not GNU
>> software.
>
> try this: http://www.gnome.org/about/
>
> ``GNOME is Free Software and part of the GNU project,

ok, so gnome is, my bad. X and KDE still aren't.

--

@ 2008-01-03 15:04       ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2008-01-03 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2008-01-03, Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [FollowUp-To: set to gnu.emacs.help]
>
> Ignoramus5311 wrote:
>> Any GNU/Linux distro is a packaging of Linux kernel with GNU
>> programs. Most of these GNU programs (X, Gnome, KDE, binutils, gcc)
>
> you should read up on what GNU actually means. X, Gnome and
> KDE are not GNU software.

Nah, if he started reading up on stuff he'd have to change his
username.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I would like to
                                  at               urinate in an OVULAR,

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2008-01-03 15:24         ` Roy Schestowitz
From: Roy Schestowitz @ 2008-01-03 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

____/ Grant Edwards on Thursday 03 January 2008 15:04 : \____

> On 2008-01-03, Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> [FollowUp-To: set to gnu.emacs.help]
>>
>> Ignoramus5311 wrote:
>>> Any GNU/Linux distro is a packaging of Linux kernel with GNU
>>> programs. Most of these GNU programs (X, Gnome, KDE, binutils, gcc)
>>
>> you should read up on what GNU actually means. X, Gnome and
>> KDE are not GNU software.
>
> Nah, if he started reading up on stuff he'd have to change his
> username.

He uses gNewSense at the moment, so a Ubuntu (Debian) derivative in a sense. I
interviewed him recently, so he told me. He used to be using Utoto.

--
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz
 15:20:02 up 24 days,  4:08,  4 users,  load average: 0.99, 2.04, 2.29

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2008-01-03 15:27           ` Ignoramus5311
From: Ignoramus5311 @ 2008-01-03 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2008-01-03, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:
> He uses gNewSense at the moment, so a Ubuntu (Debian) derivative in a sense. I
> interviewed him recently, so he told me. He used to be using Utoto.

Roy, thanks, this is interesting to know!!!

@ 2008-01-03 16:22   ` jellybean stonerfish
From: jellybean stonerfish @ 2008-01-03 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 09:19:12 -0500, rjack wrote:

> Ignoramus5311 wrote:
>> he is my hero from late childhood
>>
>> what OS is he using?
>>
>> thanks

> OpenBSD of course. Theo de Raadt is Stallman's hero.
>
> Stallman could never get an F.S.F. operating system to work properly. He
> tried to steal the Linux name as GNU/Linux but he never succeeded.
>
> Regards,
> rjack

That is a lie.  The system I use is gnu.  I call it linux, because the
rest of the world is stupid and doesn't know what gnu means.  Stallman is
a bit more stubborn than me.

stonerish

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
       [not found] ` <o-CdnRhcrsF9c-HanZ2dnUVZ_remnZ2d@comcast.net>
@ 2008-01-03 16:22 ` jellybean stonerfish
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: jellybean stonerfish @ 2008-01-03 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 07:31:02 -0600, Ignoramus5311 wrote:

> he is my hero from late childhood
>
> what OS is he using?
>
> thanks

http://www.stallman.org/stallman-computing.html

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2008-01-03 16:27       ` jellybean stonerfish
From: jellybean stonerfish @ 2008-01-03 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 14:42:36 +0000, Joost Kremers wrote:

>> Most of these GNU programs (X, Gnome, KDE, binutils, gcc)
>
> you should read up on what GNU actually means. X, Gnome and KDE are not
> GNU software.

You should read up on what is gnome....from http://www.gnome.org/about/

"GNOME is Free Software and part of the GNU project"

stonerfish

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-01-03 16:30 ` Joel J. Adamson
       [not found] ` <flmpk5$gcv$1@aioe.org>
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-01-03 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ignoramus5311 <ignoramus5311@NOSPAM.5311.invalid> writes:

> he is my hero from late childhood
>
> what OS is he using?

I'm putting my money on GNU.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2008-01-03 18:28   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2008-01-03 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

> Ignoramus5311 <ignoramus5311@NOSPAM.5311.invalid> writes:
>
>> he is my hero from late childhood
>>
>> what OS is he using?
>
> I'm putting my money on GNU.

Sure.  The question is just on which kernel, and whether he uses a
distribution to make things easier.

I guess this has been answered in another post already.

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2008-01-03 18:40             ` Linonut
From: Linonut @ 2008-01-03 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Ignoramus5311 fired off this tart reply:

> On 2008-01-03, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>> He uses gNewSense at the moment, so a Ubuntu (Debian) derivative in a sense. I
>> interviewed him recently, so he told me. He used to be using Utoto.
>
> Roy, thanks, this is interesting to know!!!

Looks like it is Ututo, not Utoto, though.

--
This sig has expired.  Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2008-01-03 20:13     ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-01-03 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:
>
>> Ignoramus5311 <ignoramus5311@NOSPAM.5311.invalid> writes:
>>
>>> he is my hero from late childhood
>>>
>>> what OS is he using?
>>
>> I'm putting my money on GNU.
>
> Sure.  The question is just on which kernel, and whether he uses a
> distribution to make things easier.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but seeing as how he led the
development of an operating system, I thought it was a pretty funny
question.  I knew the OP was after something more specific, unless he's
the sort of person who thinks Firefox is a free operating system.

Joel

--

@ 2008-01-04  3:14               ` Roy Schestowitz
From: Roy Schestowitz @ 2008-01-04  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

____/ Linonut on Thursday 03 January 2008 18:40 : \____

> * Ignoramus5311 fired off this tart reply:
>
>> On 2008-01-03, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>>> He uses gNewSense at the moment, so a Ubuntu (Debian) derivative in a
>>> sense. I interviewed him recently, so he told me. He used to be using
>>> Utoto.
>>
>> Roy, thanks, this is interesting to know!!!
>
> Looks like it is Ututo, not Utoto, though.

Yeah, I wasn't sure when I typed this. I was going to do a quick Web search to
confirm, but I didn't (I rarely do).

--
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz
Swap:  1510068k total,   342936k used,  1167132k free,    78528k cached

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2008-01-04  3:43               ` Mark Dodel
From: Mark Dodel @ 2008-01-04  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 18:40:20 UTC, Linonut <linonut@bollsouth.nut>
wrote:

-> * Ignoramus5311 fired off this tart reply:
->
-> > On 2008-01-03, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:
-> >> He uses gNewSense at the moment, so a Ubuntu (Debian) derivative in a sense. I
-> >> interviewed him recently, so he told me. He used to be using Utoto.
-> >
-> > Roy, thanks, this is interesting to know!!!
->
-> Looks like it is Ututo, not Utoto, though.
->

I can just see the Wicked Witch of the West (perhaps balmer in drag)
saying ""I'll get you, my pretty,and your little dog utoto too."  :-)

Mark

--
From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

http://www.warpstock.eu

@ 2008-01-04  4:12   ` Rick
From: Rick @ 2008-01-04  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 09:19:12 -0500, rjack wrote:

> Ignoramus5311 wrote:
>> he is my hero from late childhood
>>
>> what OS is he using?
>>
>> thanks

> OpenBSD of course. Theo de Raadt is Stallman's hero.
>
> Stallman could never get an F.S.F. operating system to work properly. He
> tried to steal the Linux name as GNU/Linux but he never succeeded.

He didn't try to steal anything.

--
Rick

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2008-01-04 10:40     ` Gian Uberto Lauri
       [not found]       ` <mailman.5729.1199467275.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Gian Uberto Lauri @ 2008-01-04 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ignoramus5311; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> OpenBSD of course. Theo de Raadt is Stallman's hero.

:)

>> Stallman could never get an F.S.F. operating system to work
>> properly. He tried to steal the Linux name as GNU/Linux but he
>> never succeeded.

Bullshit.

They tried the micokernel way  maybe w/o the required resources, since
a microkernel is much harder to debug.

But w/o GNU software the Linux  kernel should have been as useless. If
Linus could have compiled it with minix native compiler (have you ever
read what  was the Minix license at  that time or have  you ever asked
professor Tanenbaum for the compiler sources ?

BEFORE GNU/Linux  we were  using bash, gcc,  emac, bison, flex  etc on
other U*x  as a better  replacement of the  native tools. They  run on
machines very few coukd afford for  use at home. And when Linus dialed
his PC HD, friing the Minix partition, he was using gcc to compile its
tools and other  GNU tools. He even wrote the kernel  ti comply to the
tools needings. And  THAT made the Linux kernel  succesful, because it
fitted perfectly  in GNU, creating  a good unix replacement  you coukd
run on the box you could afford at home.

I> Linux is simply a shorter, easier version of saying GNU/Linux.

I> Similar to "US" being a shorter version of "USA".

Right!

I> Any GNU/Linux distro is a packaging of Linux kernel with GNU
I> programs.

All, AFAIK.

I> Most of these GNU programs (X, Gnome, KDE, binutils, gcc)
I> run under many kernels and operating systems, such as Linux, BSD,
I> Sun, MS Windows, and so on and so forth.

Xfree is not a GNU project, and Xorg too. But what you say is right.

And, again, did it BEFORE the Linux kernel was written.

--
 /\           ___                                    Ubuntu: ancient
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____               African word

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2008-01-04 13:09                 ` Linonut
From: Linonut @ 2008-01-04 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Mark Dodel fired off this tart reply:

> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 18:40:20 UTC, Linonut <linonut@bollsouth.nut>
> wrote:
>
> -> Looks like it is Ututo, not Utoto, though.
>
> I can just see the Wicked Witch of the West (perhaps balmer in drag)
> saying ""I'll get you, my pretty,and your little dog utoto too."  :-)

You may find this site amusing:

   http://fakesteveballmer.blogspot.com/

   My wife nagged me about the way I walk about the mansion most of the
   night, "Go to see a psychologist, you are just too worried about all
   this Mac and Linux stuff".

--

@ 2008-01-04 14:02                   ` Roy Schestowitz
From: Roy Schestowitz @ 2008-01-04 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

____/ Linonut on Friday 04 January 2008 13:09 : \____

> * Mark Dodel fired off this tart reply:
>
>> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 18:40:20 UTC, Linonut <linonut@bollsouth.nut>
>> wrote:
>>
>> -> Looks like it is Ututo, not Utoto, though.
>>
>> I can just see the Wicked Witch of the West (perhaps balmer in drag)
>> saying ""I'll get you, my pretty,and your little dog utoto too."  :-)
>
> You may find this site amusing:
>
>    http:// fakesteveballmer. blogspot.com/
>
>    My wife nagged me about the way I walk about the mansion most of the
>    night, "Go to see a psychologist, you are just too worried about all
>    this Mac and Linux stuff".

Oh, no. Don't feed that thing. He goes around blogs (mine included) and spams
them with links to his blog, along with sarcastic remark and weird humour.

--
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Data lacking semantics is currency in an island
 14:00:02 up 25 days,  2:48,  4 users,  load average: 0.71, 1.56, 1.62

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2008-01-04 17:19       ` David Brodbeck
       [not found]       ` <mailman.5729.1199467275.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Brodbeck @ 2008-01-04 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs list

On Jan 4, 2008, at 2:40 AM, Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
> I> Linux is simply a shorter, easier version of saying GNU/Linux.
>
> I> Similar to "US" being a shorter version of "USA".
>
> Right!
>
> I> Any GNU/Linux distro is a packaging of Linux kernel with GNU
> I> programs.
>
> All, AFAIK.
>
> I> Most of these GNU programs (X, Gnome, KDE, binutils, gcc)
> I> run under many kernels and operating systems, such as Linux, BSD,
> I> Sun, MS Windows, and so on and so forth.
>
> Xfree is not a GNU project, and Xorg too. But what you say is right.

So if GNU/Linux is correct, doesn't that mean we should have to call
most distributions GNU/X.org/Apache/Perl/Linux?  (I'm probably leaving
a few out.)

And of course there's CP/M/DOS/Windows, and BSD/Mach/MacOS.

You know, this could get confusing.  I think I'll stick to just
"Linux."  I was never much for political correctness.

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-01-05  2:21 ` Andrew Gray
       [not found] ` <flmpk5$gcv$1@aioe.org>
From: Andrew Gray @ 2008-01-05  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ignoramus5311 wrote:
> he is my hero from late childhood
>
> what OS is he using?
>
> thanks

This question has not been answered a single time, so this thread needs
to continue without the presentation of new, more applicable topics.

I could be really out of place with this.

--
Andrew Gray
Free software | Free minds | Free neighbors | Free world

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2008-01-05  2:37                 ` Tim Smith
From: Tim Smith @ 2008-01-05  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <1360854.JpYrYixpef@schestowitz.com>,
 Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:

> ____/ Linonut on Thursday 03 January 2008 18:40 : \____
>
> > * Ignoramus5311 fired off this tart reply:

> >> Roy, thanks, this is interesting to know!!!
> >
> > Looks like it is Ututo, not Utoto, though.
>
> Yeah, I wasn't sure when I typed this. I was going to do a quick Web search to
> confirm, but I didn't (I rarely do).

The readers of these four groups aren't worthy of 10 seconds of your
time to check it before posting?

--
--Tim Smith

@ 2008-01-05  3:05   ` jellybean stonerfish
From: jellybean stonerfish @ 2008-01-05  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 18:21:56 -0800, Andrew Gray wrote:

> Ignoramus5311 wrote:
>> he is my hero from late childhood
>>
>> what OS is he using?
>>
>> thanks

> This question has not been answered a single time, so this thread needs
> to continue without the presentation of new, more applicable topics.
>
> I could be really out of place with this.

I'll post the link to stallman's statement about his system again for
those who missed it

@ 2008-01-05  3:47     ` Andrew Gray
       [not found]     ` <477FBD32.30FCBB2E@web.de>
From: Andrew Gray @ 2008-01-05  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

jellybean stonerfish wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 18:21:56 -0800, Andrew Gray wrote:
>
>> Ignoramus5311 wrote:
>>> he is my hero from late childhood
>>>
>>> what OS is he using?
>>>
>>> thanks

>> This question has not been answered a single time, so this thread needs
>> to continue without the presentation of new, more applicable topics.
>>
>> I could be really out of place with this.
>>

> I'll post the link to stallman's statement about his system again for
> those who missed it
>
> http://www.stallman.org/stallman-computing.
>

> stonerfish

Thanks again stonerfish; actually I did catch that the first time, I was
just using my amazing power of sarcasm to will this topic to a close, it
being the #1 thread in my inbox right now for no real reason. <3

--

@ 2008-01-05 17:24     ` Alexander Terekhov
       [not found]     ` <477FBD32.30FCBB2E@web.de>
From: Alexander Terekhov @ 2008-01-05 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

jellybean stonerfish wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 18:21:56 -0800, Andrew Gray wrote:
>
> > Ignoramus5311 wrote:
> >> he is my hero from late childhood
> >>
> >> what OS is he using?
> >>
> >> thanks

> > This question has not been answered a single time, so this thread needs
> > to continue without the presentation of new, more applicable topics.
> >
> > I could be really out of place with this.
> >

> I'll post the link to stallman's statement about his system again for
> those who missed it
>
> http://www.stallman.org/stallman-computing.

Oh poor RMS...

"I use gNewSense, a GNU/Linux distro. I chose that distro because it has
the policy of rejecting non-free software."

Now,

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-users/2007-11/msg00042.html

"as we go along we find out now and then that we've got non-free
software. Some scripts have been written to help automate these checks,
but it still takes "too long". ... I don't believe that any package
manager has built-in support for license issues and this is something
that I think is a technical flaw that harms our distro ... I don't know
how to "find" binary blobs. I dont' know what they look like in the
source, so I'm almost totally useless as to determining non-license
freedom"

Reaction:

http://wiki.gnewsense.org/ForumMain/WhatSucksAboutGNewSense

"Yes it is hard to find non-free software in a distribution. It is
probably much easier to start from scratch and add from day one only
free software to your distribution. So you don't have to check existing
packages, you just know that you have add only free software.

Creating a distribution from scratch is probably to much work. So we
have to go the second way: Build upon an existing distribution.

GnewSense has waste already a lot of time with PFV"

(PFV stands for Package Freedom Verification.)

"So the overall question is how we can make PFV easier so that we can
concentrate more on creating an exciting distribution instead of putting
all our effort in checking licenses?

For me the answer is clear. Gnewsense should build upon a distribution
which already really cares about freedom.

I know the question upon which distribution Gnewsense should buid on was
discussed many times before. But using a distribution which bases on a
quite good distribution (in the sense of freeness) and adds non-free
components looks like a bad decision. We see and feel this bad decisions
more and more. Gnewsense struggles now for months to get Gnewsense 100%
free. We could get this much cheaper with a different distribution and
concentrate more on making a exciting distribution which attract (many)
new users."

regards,
alexander.

--
"Plaintiffs’ copyrights are unique and valuable property whose market
value is impossible to assess"

                             -- SOFTWARE FREEDOM LAW CENTER, INC.

@ 2008-01-06  9:30         ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2008-01-06  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Brodbeck <brodbd@u.washington.edu> writes:

> On Jan 4, 2008, at 2:40 AM, Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
>> I> Linux is simply a shorter, easier version of saying GNU/Linux.
>>
>> I> Similar to "US" being a shorter version of "USA".
>>
>> Right!
>>
>> I> Any GNU/Linux distro is a packaging of Linux kernel with GNU
>> I> programs.
>>
>> All, AFAIK.
>>
>> I> Most of these GNU programs (X, Gnome, KDE, binutils, gcc)
>> I> run under many kernels and operating systems, such as Linux, BSD,
>> I> Sun, MS Windows, and so on and so forth.
>>
>> Xfree is not a GNU project, and Xorg too. But what you say is right.
>
> So if GNU/Linux is correct, doesn't that mean we should have to call  most
> distributions GNU/X.org/Apache/Perl/Linux?  (I'm probably leaving  a few
> out.)
>
> And of course there's CP/M/DOS/Windows, and BSD/Mach/MacOS.
>
> You know, this could get confusing.  I think I'll stick to just  "Linux."
> I was never much for political correctness.

Generally, I *think* the convention is that GNU Linux refers to the whole
bundle/distribution, while Linux just refers to the kernel.

Given that you need a kernel and a basic set of core utilities before you
have a system that is at all usable and since most of those essential core
utilities are GNU based, GNU Linux seems like a good name. It tells us it
is a system running Linux as the kernel and using GNU utilities. I don't
think you need xorg, apache or perl because these are not essential or even
included in all distros.

I guess GNU Linux also makes the distinction between a GNU based OS using
the Linux kernel compared to one using a different kernel, such as hurd.

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

@ 2008-01-07  0:00       ` jellybean stonerfish
From: jellybean stonerfish @ 2008-01-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 18:24:02 +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:

Well not really, but he pasted something.

> Creating a distribution from scratch is probably to much work. So we have
> to go the second way: Build upon an existing distribution.

Is it really that hard to build a distribution.  I, as untrained as I am,
have an old laptop 97, that I built lfs on in 200?, so I could have a
working laptop. At the time I could not find a distro cd that would
boot.  It's system is sleek, just X with a couple or apps (firefox, gqview,
ect ).  Automating the build process with scripts would not be that tough.

Stallman won't even own an encrypted dvd and I bet doesn't go to sites
needing flash.  I am surprised he, or other folks at the gnu foundation
don't roll their own os.

I use ubuntu for my desktop, because it is easy.  I also like the fact
that my nvidia card's 3d works, and I do watch flash and listen to m4a
files once in a while.

stonerfish

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2008-01-07  9:40         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-01-07  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jellybean stonerfish; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.01.2008 um 00:00 schrieb jellybean stonerfish:

> Stallman won't even own an encrypted dvd and I bet doesn't go to sites
> needing flash.

Me too! I think I'm clever enough to understand if I would need a
flashing video to understand some trifle ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

When confronted with actual numbers, a mathematician is at a loss.
				– Steffen Hokland

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2008-01-07 16:53         ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2008-01-07 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

he may, using gnash <http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/>.

--

@ 2008-01-07 17:57           ` Ignoramus18728
From: Ignoramus18728 @ 2008-01-07 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2008-01-07, Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> wrote:
> jellybean stonerfish wrote:
>> Stallman won't even own an encrypted dvd and I bet doesn't go to sites
>> needing flash.
>
> he may, using gnash <http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/>.

How do you like this gnash, does it work very well?

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2008-01-07 18:46             ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2008-01-07 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ignoramus18728 wrote:
> On 2008-01-07, Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> he may, using gnash <http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/>.
>
> How do you like this gnash, does it work very well?

i have it installed on my ibook G3 under linux (powerpc, for which there's
no adobe flash player), but i hardly use it. for simple flash stuff it
works ok (not perfect, but ok, although with high cpu load), but anything
that's a bit more complex than just a moving ad usually doesn't function
very well. youtube videos (or any other videos for that matter) don't work
for me at all.

however, i once read a review of gnash that was much more positive. the
writer said most flash stuff works, and he had little trouble watching
youtube videos. so perhaps it's my setup or a bad configuration or
something.

big disadvantage, IMHO: gnash requires the boost library, and that took
forever to compile. really. i've compiled firefox a couple of times in the
past, and i've compiled kernels on this ibook, and they didn't take as long
as boost did...

--

@ 2008-01-08  3:58 braydon fuller
From: braydon fuller @ 2008-01-08  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ignoramus18728 wrote:
> On 2008-01-07, Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> jellybean stonerfish wrote:
>>
>>> Stallman won't even own an encrypted dvd and I bet doesn't go to sites
>>> needing flash.
>>>
>> he may, using gnash <http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/>.
>>

> How do you like this gnash, does it work very well?

Works with YouTube videos, well. I've also noticed that it will create
separate processes for each swf outsite of the browser process, which
could be good. However, they still seem to be process intense. If
watching video, I've found it more efficient on the processor to just to
use VLC, even if it's an extra step it helps keep the laptop cooler.

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2008-01-08  4:07               ` braydon fuller
From: braydon fuller @ 2008-01-08  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Joost Kremers wrote:
> Ignoramus18728 wrote:
>
>> On 2008-01-07, Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> he may, using gnash <http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/>.
>>>
>> How do you like this gnash, does it work very well?
>>

> i have it installed on my ibook G3 under linux (powerpc, for which there's
> no adobe flash player), but i hardly use it. for simple flash stuff it
> works ok (not perfect, but ok, although with high cpu load), but anything
> that's a bit more complex than just a moving ad usually doesn't function
> very well. youtube videos (or any other videos for that matter) don't work
> for me at all.

Running on many systems is one of the great things going for Gnash.
> however, i once read a review of gnash that was much more positive. the
> writer said most flash stuff works, and he had little trouble watching
> youtube videos. so perhaps it's my setup or a bad configuration or
> something.
>
> big disadvantage, IMHO: gnash requires the boost library, and that took
> forever to compile. really. i've compiled firefox a couple of times in the
> past, and i've compiled kernels on this ibook, and they didn't take as long
> as boost did...

I'm not a C or C++ hacker, but from what I hear using C++ and using
Boost, while easier to maintain, doesn't have the performance of writing
in C. Is this true?

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2018-09-23 11:14 microsoft gaofei
From: microsoft gaofei @ 2018-09-23 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ignoramus5311@NOSPAM.5311.invalid, rms@gnu.org; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.en.html  . I'm sorry about my lack of knowledge and bad awareness, I cannot understand the relationship between free software and other software. You said, nearly all free software is open source. It's too confusing for me because of the word "nearly": Not all free software is open-source. Can you find any real-world example of free but closed-source software? Can you find any real-world example of open-source but proprietary software?

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2018-09-23 13:59 ` tomas
       [not found] ` <mailman.1176.1537711957.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: tomas @ 2018-09-23 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: microsoft gaofei
  Cc: ignoramus5311@NOSPAM.5311.invalid, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org,
	rms@gnu.org

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2018-09-24  1:45 ` Richard Stallman
       [not found] ` <mailman.1176.1537711957.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-09-24  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: microsoft gaofei; +Cc: ignoramus5311, help-gnu-emacs

A license qualifies as "open source" only if the OSI rules on it.
Probably there are some free programs that are not open source because
they carry licenses that the OSI hasn't ruled on.

Whether there are free licenses that would be rejected as open source,
I don't know.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

       [not found]     ` <mailman.1199.1537773312.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-09-24  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: ignoramus5311, help-gnu-emacs, wangziheng

  > This is difficult because "open source" can mean several things.
  > If you use the OSI's [1] definition of open source, then yes,
  > free software and open source are *technically* equivalent.

The OSI's definition is the real definition.  When the GNU Project
talks about the term, that is what it means.

Most people who use the term misunderstand its meaning, but, for the
sake of keeping confusion down, let's not elevate their
misunderstandings into legitimate "alternative meanings."
See https://gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html.

The two terms are not quite "technically equivalent" -- the Open
Watcom licenses has been approved as open source, and it is not a free
license.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2018-09-24  4:24   ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2018-09-24  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, microsoft gaofei

* Richard Stallman:

> A license qualifies as "open source" only if the OSI rules on it.
> Probably there are some free programs that are not open source because
> they carry licenses that the OSI hasn't ruled on.
>
> Whether there are free licenses that would be rejected as open source,
> I don't know.

OSI doesn't have a separate category for documentation licenses.  The
GNU Free Documentation License, at least when used with invariant
sections, does not meet the requirements of the OSI definition
regarding derived works.

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2018-09-24  7:15     ` tomas
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1199.1537773312.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: tomas @ 2018-09-24  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: ignoramus5311, help-gnu-emacs, wangziheng

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2018-09-25  4:42 microsoft gaofei
From: microsoft gaofei @ 2018-09-25  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms@gnu.org; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, fw@deneb.enyo.de

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html    . You said, some private software is also free and isn't released to public domain. Can that be free and closed-source at the same time?

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2018-09-25  4:49 ` Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2018-09-25  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 09/24/2018 11:42 PM, microsoft gaofei wrote:
> https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html    . You said, some private software is also free and isn't released to public domain. Can that be free and closed-source at the same time?

No. By the four software freedoms, one must be able to modify the code
of any piece of free software. This requires the code in its original,
unobfuscated non-binary form. When RMS says that software may be private
and free, he likely means that it can be developed by a private business
for industry. But, again, for it to be free it must retain the four
essential freedoms.

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html

Best,

Brett

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2018-09-25  7:20 ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-09-25  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: microsoft gaofei; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> public domain

I believe that term has been
weasel worded and lawyeringly put to death and
does not mean strictly what ordinary
people walking their dog at the park loosely
take it to innocently mean (IANAL).

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
       [not found] <mailman.1270.1537850586.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2018-09-25 15:30 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2018-09-25 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.1270.1537850586.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 microsoft gaofei <wangziheng@outlook.com> wrote:

> https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html    . You said, some private
> software is also free and isn't released to public domain. Can that be free
> and closed-source at the same time?

"Public domain" means that it's not protected by copyright. Not being
public domain is not the same as being closed-source.

In particular, the GPL makes use of copyright to make sure that the
software remains free. The copyright specifies that you may only copy
the program if you agree to the license, which requires you to make
source code available.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2018-09-25 21:50   ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1323.1537913730.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-09-25 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Barry Margolin wrote:

> In particular, the GPL makes use of copyright
> to make sure that the software remains free.
> The copyright specifies that you may only
> copy the program if you agree to the license,
> which requires you to make source
> code available.

I still don't understand what OS is used by
Richard Stallman? Debian perhaps, or Hurd?
I heard a rumor recently there is a Hurd Debian
distribution. I wonder how that works?
Perhaps it refers to the Debian software
archives! Because otherwise Debian GNU/Linux is
monolithic, while GNU Hurd is a "microkernel".
BTW I think that designation is misleading.
It should be called a "distributed" or
"conglomerate" OS instead. Because there is
nothing "micro" about the idea - actually it
creates much more complexity than a monolithic
OS! Only some commercial aspects are appealing,
where one can "verify" the kernel - because it
is supposedly small, and in a way it is; only,
in reality the complexity is transferred from
INSIDE the units to BETWEEN the units, where it
is much harder to make sense of anything. Well,
in all modesty, I don't want to educate anyone
on this, especially people who spent many of
their best years not getting it to work.
I mean, that would be totally
unappropriate. Ööö

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2018-09-25 22:15     ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1323.1537913730.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-09-25 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I still don't understand what OS is used by
> Richard Stallman? Debian perhaps, or Hurd?

Have you seen Debian among the OSes recommended by the FSF?

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2018-09-25 23:03 ` Richard Stallman
       [not found]   ` <MWHPR02MB2463038E8BBAE60667E45ADAD4150@MWHPR02MB2463.namprd02.prod.outlook.com>
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-09-25 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: microsoft gaofei; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, fw

  > https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html . You said, some
  > private software is also free and isn't released to public
  > domain.

It is free, and it is not released _at all_.  (That's what "private"
means.)

	    Can that be free and closed-source at the same time?

I don't care much what is or isn't open source.  For why I don't care,

@ 2018-09-26  2:30       ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-09-26  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Have you seen Debian among the OSes recommended by the FSF?

An unconfigured for email sending Emacs
will open a webpage to an OS desktop environment explainer page.

@ 2018-09-26  9:24       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-09-26  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> I still don't understand what OS is used by
>> Richard Stallman? Debian perhaps, or Hurd?
>
> Have you seen Debian among the OSes
> recommended by the FSF?

Here is a list:

    https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html

Debian isn't on the list but two distros are
based on Debian.

--

@ 2018-09-26 14:43         ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-09-26 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Here is a list:
>
>    https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html
>
> Debian isn't on the list but two distros are
> based on Debian.

Is a Lisp 3.0 machine on riscv.org architecture possible? now.

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2018-09-27  0:12 microsoft gaofei
From: microsoft gaofei @ 2018-09-27  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: van@scratch.space; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, rms@gnu.org

> Is a Lisp 3.0 machine on riscv.org architecture possible? now.
No, you misunderstood it. Debian repository offers non-free software, you can edit /etc/apt/sources.list by adding contrib and non-free to download non-free software. Debian offers fully free CD and DVD, but its remote server offers non-free software.

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2018-09-27  0:24 ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-09-27  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: microsoft gaofei; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > Is a Lisp 3.0 machine on riscv.org architecture possible? now.
> No, you misunderstood it. Debian repository offers non-free software, you can edit /etc/apt/sources.list by adding contrib and non-free to download non-free software. Debian offers fully free CD and DVD, but its remote server offers non-free software.

I was thinking tangentially of the Lisp 2.0 John McCarthy had said wasn’t done right despite availability of resources.

I have read a few pages of the Lisp Machine Manual RMS contributed to in 1981.

The riscv architecture promises free and open principled instruction set.

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2018-09-27  0:41 microsoft gaofei
From: microsoft gaofei @ 2018-09-27  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms@gnu.org; +Cc: van@scratch.space, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> It is best to do so.  "GNU Linux" would mean something different.
Linux-libre is made by FSF Lain America, must we also say "GNU slash Linux-libre"? FSF Latin America made it, but "GNU/Linux-libre" means it isn't part of GNU.

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1360.1538003852.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2018-09-27 10:42       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-09-27 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Stallman wrote:

> It is best to do so. "GNU Linux" would mean
> something different.

Interesting - what would that be, exactly?
A Linux fork (kernel fork) developed and
sanctioned by the GNU project?

Perhaps not such a bad idea, only I take it it
has been considered at some point?

Even so, wouldn't the correct designation -
correct by the GNU standards - still
be "GNU GNU/Linux"?

Or GNU² Linux, pronounced "Gnu Square Linux" :)

--

@ 2018-09-27 14:12 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-09-27 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: microsoft gaofei; +Cc: van, help-gnu-emacs

  > Linux-libre is made by FSF Lain America, must we also say "GNU
  > slash Linux-libre"?

That is the clear way to say it.

       FSF Latin America made it,

I don't think so.  It is basically Linux, and we did not make Linux.

    but "GNU/Linux-libre" means it isn't part of GNU.

It isn't part of GNU.  It is just Linux with tweaks (deletions,
mainly).

--
Dr Richard Stallman

@ 2018-09-28 20:03       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-09-28 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

tomas wrote:

> I'd like to invite the BND and (especially
> these days) the BfV to that club.

BND is the West German secret service,
the Bundesnachrichtendienst.

But what is BfV? Answer: Bundesamt für
Verfassungsschutz, "the domestic intelligence
service of the Federal Republic of Germany" [1]

So it is foreign and domestic secret service.

[1] https://www.verfassungsschutz.de/en/index-en.html

--

@ 2018-09-29 16:06   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-09-29 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

tomas wrote:

> There have been attempts to mimic the
> advantages of open source without giving
> users freedom (e.g. Microsoft's several
> attempts at "shared source" [2]).

It is the "cathedral vs. bazaar" thing. By now
it should be clear that the bazaar is almost
infinitely more powerful. And they know it!
So they want it for them as well.

Also, to have a handful och experienced
developers/maintainers to do the final review,
is a bit of having both worlds, I'd say.
Perhaps even the best of both worlds, as in
that lousy TNG show where Capt. Picard gets
assimilated into a borg commander!

That is, the "bazaar" is great when it comes to
developing source code! In the non-computing,
physical world I have yet to see a single
project or setting where the "bazaar" works.
My experience has been, whenever more than but
a few people are involved, what happens is
those few people still do all the work, while
the rest gossip and meddle and create
negative energy for everyone.

So perhaps the only such setting is the actual
bazaar itself!

--

@ 2018-09-30  5:23     ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-09-30  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs

> In the non-computing,
> physical world I have yet to see a single
> project or setting where the "bazaar" works.

There is the
winter and summer
party at Davos’s.

There was a VR demo
of a tree’s life in the forest
which was award winning. Perhaps.

* Re: What OS is used by Richard Stallman
@ 2018-10-02 10:28 microsoft gaofei
From: microsoft gaofei @ 2018-10-02 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Khan, rms@gnu.org; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

>I [always?] took the slash to be pronounced “over” as in fractions.
>Makes it look like a stack ― GNU userland over Linux kernel.
No.
"Android kernel" means the kernel used by Google, and "windows kernel" means the kernel used by Microsoft, obviously, "Linux kernel" means the kernel inside a kernel. So "Linux kernel" is definitely wrong. You better say "Linux, the kernel," and must use comma, see https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nonrestrictive%20clause   . If you think using comma is a time waster, you can say "the kernel Linux".

* Re: What OS is used by Richard Stallman
@ 2018-10-02 11:08 ` Gian Uberto Lauri
       [not found] ` <mailman.1657.1538509070.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Gian Uberto Lauri @ 2018-10-02 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: microsoft gaofei; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, rms@gnu.org

>> I [always?] took the slash to be pronounced “over” as in fractions.
>> Makes it look like a stack ― GNU userland over Linux kernel.
mg> No.  "Android kernel" means the kernel used by Google, and
mg> "windows kernel" means the kernel used by Microsoft, obviously,
mg> "Linux kernel" means the kernel inside a kernel. So "Linux kernel"
mg> is definitely wrong. You better say "Linux, the kernel," and must
mg> use comma, see
mg> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nonrestrictive%20clause

Linux _IS_ a kernel.

The GNU userland works (in GNU/Linux) by issuing system calls to the
Linux kernel and therefore is "over" the kernel as the Earth crust is
over the core.

--
 /\           ___                                    Ubuntu: ancient
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____               African word
  //--\| | \|  |   Integralista GNUslamico            meaning "I can
\/                 coltivatore diretto di software       not install
     già sistemista a tempo (altrui) perso...                Debian"

Warning: gnome-config-daemon considered more dangerous than GOTO

* Re: What OS is used by Richard Stallman
@ 2018-10-02 19:37 ` Tomas Nordin
       [not found] ` <mailman.1657.1538509070.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tomas Nordin @ 2018-10-02 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: microsoft gaofei, Yuri Khan, rms@gnu.org; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

microsoft gaofei <wangziheng@outlook.com> writes:

>>I [always?] took the slash to be pronounced “over” as in fractions.
>>Makes it look like a stack — GNU userland over Linux kernel.

> No. "Android kernel" means the kernel used by Google, and "windows
> kernel" means the kernel used by Microsoft, obviously, "Linux kernel"
> means the kernel inside a kernel. So "Linux kernel" is definitely
> wrong. You better say "Linux, the kernel," and must use comma, see
> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nonrestrictive%20clause .
> If you think using comma is a time waster, you can say "the kernel
> Linux".

You must say: "There is no system but GNU, and Linux is one of its
kernels".

Best regards
--
Tomas

@ 2018-10-02 20:52   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-10-02 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tomas Nordin wrote:

> You must say: "There is no system but GNU,
> and Linux is one of its kernels".

"There is no system but GNU, and Linux is its
kernel, and X is its window system, and gnuplot
isn't even a GNU project" [1]

[1] http://www.gnuplot.info/faq/faq.html

--

@ 2018-10-02 23:31     ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-10-02 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs

> "There is no system but GNU, and Linux is its
> kernel, and X is its window system, and gnuplot
> isn't even a GNU project" [1]
>
> [1] http://www.gnuplot.info/faq/faq.html

Is the Free in FreeBSD a misnomer? too.

* Re: What OS is used by Richard Stallman
@ 2018-10-03  7:31       ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2018-10-03  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Van L; +Cc: Emacs

       [not found] <mailman.1647.1538476113.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2018-10-03 22:11 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-10-03 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> "Android kernel" means the kernel used by Google, and "windows kernel" means

In my world "Android kernel" means "the kernel called Android", just
like "the GCC compiler" means "the compiler called GCC" (except that
there is no such thing as "the kernel called Android" AFAIK).

@ 2018-10-05 16:26 ` James K. Lowden
From: James K. Lowden @ 2018-10-05 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 10:28:26 +0000
microsoft gaofei <wangziheng@outlook.com> wrote:

>  obviously, "Linux kernel" means the kernel inside a kernel. So
> "Linux kernel" is definitely wrong.

	Exxon Valdez
	Ford Mustang

Linux kernel doesn't mean kernel inside a kernel.  It means the Linux
kernel, as disintinct from other kernels, such as the Mach kernel or
the NetBSD kernel.

--jkl

* Re: What OS is used by Richard Stallman
@ 2018-10-05 21:57   ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1744.1538802339.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-10-05 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

James K. Lowden wrote:

> Linux kernel doesn't mean kernel inside
> a kernel. It means the Linux kernel, as
> disintinct from other kernels, such as the
> Mach kernel or the NetBSD kernel.

What is the Emacs KERNEL then?

--

@ 2018-10-06  5:05     ` Van L
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1744.1538802339.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Van L @ 2018-10-06  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help GNU Emacs

> What is the Emacs KERNEL then?

Have you heard of the HURD? which is not Windows on ZTE/Lenovo.

@ 2018-10-06  5:46       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-10-06  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Van L wrote:

>> What is the Emacs KERNEL then?
>
> Have you heard of the HURD? which is not
> Windows on ZTE/Lenovo.

Have I heard of it? I was the first who
mentioned it in this thread. Perhaps not in
a sensible way...

The Emacs kernel is, I think, the part of Emacs
that runs all the time, that loops indefinitely
unless told otherwise, and from which Emacs can
schedule things with, for example, the idle
timer.

This makes Emacs an OS not just in the
"interface-to-the-whole-computer" sense, but
also in the scheduler sense.

But it isn't a Unix OS just because it is
a scheduler.

These are just clues I've picked up...

--

@ 2018-10-06  9:13         ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-10-06  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help GNU Emacs

> Have I heard of it? I was the first who
> mentioned it in this thread. Perhaps not in
> a sensible way…

How is that going?

They passed the MVP milestone,
found critical mass and it is
free, alas, unreleased?

> The Emacs kernel is, I think, the part of Emacs
> that runs all the time, that loops indefinitely
> unless told otherwise, and from which Emacs can
> schedule things with, for example, the idle
> timer.
>
> This makes Emacs an OS not just in the
> "interface-to-the-whole-computer" sense, but
> also in the scheduler sense.
>
> But it isn't a Unix OS just because it is
> a scheduler.

The manpages exec(3), environ(7), intro(9)
on NetBSD may shed light on the context to
what you’ve said.

@ 2018-11-08  5:30 microsoft gaofei
From: microsoft gaofei @ 2018-11-08  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms@gnu.org; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

>>Most people who use the term misunderstand its meaning, but, for the
sake of keeping confusion down, let's not elevate their
misunderstandings into legitimate "alternative meanings."
See https://gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html.

The two terms are not quite "technically equivalent" -- the Open
Watcom licenses has been approved as open source, and it is not a free
license.<<
Were there any now-extirpated versions of open watcom license? The current version is 1.0. GNU offers two versions of GPL―2.0 and 3.0, whereas GPL 1.0 is now dropped.