Michael Albinus writes: > "Basil L. Contovounesios" writes: > >> Michael Albinus writes: >> >>> The patch seems to assume that notifications-notify works >>> everywhere. That's not the case, since it depends on D-Bus it runs only >>> for GNU/Linux systems. >> >> Thank you for pointing this out. I had wondered about it while >> preparing the patch but could not find a description of what happens >> when notifications are not supported, other than the usual >> "notifications-notify returns an integer ID". >> >> Does notifications-notify return nil in this case? If so, I would like >> to document this. If not, wouldn't this make sense? > > Likely yes. It uses with-demoted-errors, which should return nil > indeed. In that case I think the proposed patch already behaves as it should, without changing existing behaviour. See the last few lines of the function gnus-notifications: (let* ((photo-file (gnus-notifications-get-photo-file address)) (notification-id (gnus-notifications-notify (or (car address-components) address) (mail-fetch-field "Subject") photo-file))) (when notification-id ;; Register that we did notify this message. (push article (cdr group-notifications)) ;; Register the notification ID for later actions. (setf (alist-get notification-id gnus-notifications-id-to-msg) (list group article))) ...) gnus-notifications-notify just calls notifications-notify, and the resulting ID is not assumed to be non-nil. Is this acceptable? Or did you mean something else when you said the patch assumes too much about notifications-notify? Here's the patch again, with an updated docstring for gnus-notifications-notify: