all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#38225: Cannot move vertical screen division bar
@ 2019-11-16  1:32 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson @ 2019-11-16  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 38225

With the mouse I can move the bar created by C-x 2,
but not that created by C-x 3.
emacs-version "26.3"
(I can make a window shorter, but not thinner.)

* bug#38225: Cannot move vertical screen division bar
@ 2019-11-16  5:01 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-11-16  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson; +Cc: 38225

積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> writes:

> With the mouse I can move the bar created by C-x 2,
> but not that created by C-x 3.
> emacs-version "26.3"
> (I can make a window shorter, but not thinner.)

I'm unable to reproduce this in either Emacs 26 or 27 -- when I place
the mouse pointer over the division, I can drag it and make the window
shorter or wider.

* bug#38225: Cannot move vertical screen division bar
@ 2019-11-16  8:20 ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2019-11-16  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson, 38225

 > With the mouse I can move the bar created by C-x 2,
 > but not that created by C-x 3.
 > emacs-version "26.3"
 > (I can make a window shorter, but not thinner.)

Enable 'window-divider-mode'.

martin

* bug#38225: Cannot move vertical screen division bar
@ 2019-11-16  8:22   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-11-16  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: 38225, jidanni

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 06:01:54 +0100
> Cc: 38225@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> writes:
>
> > With the mouse I can move the bar created by C-x 2,
> > but not that created by C-x 3.
> > emacs-version "26.3"
> > (I can make a window shorter, but not thinner.)
>
> I'm unable to reproduce this in either Emacs 26 or 27 -- when I place
> the mouse pointer over the division, I can drag it and make the window
> shorter or wider.

Same here.  My guess is that the OP doesn't drag at the right place,
or maybe some toolkit makes this hard or impossible.

* bug#38225: Cannot move vertical screen division bar
@ 2019-11-16  8:40   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-11-16  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson; +Cc: 38225

> 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> writes:
>
>> With the mouse I can move the bar created by C-x 2,
>> but not that created by C-x 3.
>> emacs-version "26.3"
>> (I can make a window shorter, but not thinner.)
>
> I'm unable to reproduce this in either Emacs 26 or 27 -- when I place
> the mouse pointer over the division, I can drag it and make the window
> shorter or wider.

(I meant "thinner or wider".)

But now I can reproduce it.  I normally run with scroll-bar-mode
switched off, and then I can adjust the width of windows.  However, with
scroll-bar-mode switched on, I can't adjust the width any more.

With window-divider-mode switched on, I can adjust the width, but with
both the divider and the scroll bars there, the separation between
windows is very thick.

So I think there's a bug here; i.e., you should be able to adjust the
width of the windows even if there's (just) a scroll bar there.  But
perhaps this is a toolkit restriction?

* bug#38225: Cannot move vertical screen division bar
@ 2019-11-16  8:58     ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2019-11-16  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen, 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson; +Cc: 38225

 > But now I can reproduce it.  I normally run with scroll-bar-mode
 > switched off, and then I can adjust the width of windows.  However, with
 > scroll-bar-mode switched on, I can't adjust the width any more.

Which is not true.  You can always drag the "divider" of the mode
lines.

 > With window-divider-mode switched on, I can adjust the width, but with
 > both the divider and the scroll bars there, the separation between
 > windows is very thick.

You can easily make a one-pixel wide window divider.

 > So I think there's a bug here; i.e., you should be able to adjust the
 > width of the windows even if there's (just) a scroll bar there.  But
 > perhaps this is a toolkit restriction?

No.  But discerning horizontal and vertical mouse drags on a scroll
bar is not for the faint of heart.  If you want some code, I might be
able to retrieve it.

martin

* bug#38225: Cannot move vertical screen division bar
@ 2019-11-17  5:59     ` 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson @ 2019-11-17  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: 38225

Yeah, I was using emacs -Q, with
this https://www.jidanni.org/comp/configuration/.Xresources

* bug#38225: Cannot move vertical screen division bar
@ 2019-11-17 10:01       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-11-17 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: 38225, 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson

martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at> writes:

>> So I think there's a bug here; i.e., you should be able to adjust the
>> width of the windows even if there's (just) a scroll bar there.  But
>> perhaps this is a toolkit restriction?
>
> No.  But discerning horizontal and vertical mouse drags on a scroll
> bar is not for the faint of heart.  If you want some code, I might be
> able to retrieve it.

It would be nice if it were possible.  Even though you can change the
width in other ways, it feels natural to be able to drag the scroll bar
horizontally.

* bug#38225: Cannot move vertical screen division bar
@ 2019-11-18  9:45         ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2019-11-18  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: 38225, 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson

 >> No.  But discerning horizontal and vertical mouse drags on a scroll
 >> bar is not for the faint of heart.  If you want some code, I might be
 >> able to retrieve it.
 >
 > It would be nice if it were possible.  Even though you can change the
 > width in other ways, it feels natural to be able to drag the scroll bar
 > horizontally.

I lost that code anyway.  IIRC it didn't work well with slow or small
mouse movements, mistaking horizontal draggings for vertical ones or
vice-versa.  In either case I then decided to install window dividers
to fix that problem for good.  If these don't satisfy people, they
never looked into how other applications handle that.

martin