all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* VC-log helpful modeline information not adapting to scope
@ 2020-12-01 18:37 Tomas Nordin
From: Tomas Nordin @ 2020-12-01 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Emacs

In the emacs repo, say, visiting INSTALL.REPO

C-x v l (vc-print-log)

gives me a log and a helpful message on the mode-line:

Git-Log-View from INSTALL.REPO

Helpful because indeed it logs changes that touch INSTALL.REPO.

Visiting the same file again and

C-x v L (vc-print-root-log)

Shows the same message in the log buffer and it seems less helpful
because now I see the log for the root of the repo.

Is this a bug or am I just misunderstanding something? I am trying to
get comfortable with VC namely. Not a show-stopper, but it doesn't help
me understand its behaviour.

Best regards and stay inside staring at your computer screens
--
Tomas

* Re: VC-log helpful modeline information not adapting to scope
@ 2020-12-01 19:04 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2020-12-01 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas Nordin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Tomas Nordin <tomasn@posteo.net> writes:

> Hello Emacs
>
> In the emacs repo, say, visiting INSTALL.REPO
>
> C-x v l (vc-print-log)
>
> gives me a log and a helpful message on the mode-line:
>
> Git-Log-View from INSTALL.REPO
>
> Helpful because indeed it logs changes that touch INSTALL.REPO.
>
> Visiting the same file again and
>
> C-x v L (vc-print-root-log)
>
> Shows the same message in the log buffer and it seems less helpful
> because now I see the log for the root of the repo.
>
> Is this a bug or am I just misunderstanding something? I am trying to
> get comfortable with VC namely. Not a show-stopper, but it doesn't help
> me understand its behaviour.

It is a bug. Please M-x report-emacs-bug

* Re: VC-log helpful modeline information not adapting to scope
@ 2020-12-02 11:12   ` Tomas Nordin
From: Tomas Nordin @ 2020-12-02 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, help-gnu-emacs

I did so, https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=45007