all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: Utkarsh Singh <utkarsh190601@gmail.com>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Why Gnus is creating .nnmaildir directory in my maildir?
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 08:56:15 -0700	[thread overview]

Utkarsh Singh <utkarsh190601@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to configure Gnus on my GNU/Linux system.  I will first
> try to give background for my problem.
>
> 1. I am using mbsync/isync to fetch mail.
> 2. msmtp as `sendmail-program'.
> 3. '~/.local/share/mail/email-id' as maildir.
> 4. notmuch as mail indexer.
>
> Overview of my maildir:
> ~/.local/share/mail/utkarsh190601@gmail.com $ ls
> INBOX  [Gmail].Drafts     [Gmail].Sent       [Gmail].Spam     [Gmail].Trash
> Sent   [Gmail].Important  [Gmail].Sent Mail  [Gmail].Starred
>
> *Problem: Gnus is creating .nnmaildir directory in my maildir.*
>
> Due to this whenever I try to run 'notmuch new' (command to update
> indexer database) it gives several lines long warning:
> ignoring non-mail file .nnmaildir/cur/..'

The nnmaildir backend uses the .nnmaildir directory to store cached
headers and other information about your maildir messages, for faster
retrieval. Many people don't like this, and/or would prefer more
configurability, but at the moment there's no way around it. For now you
can tell notmuch to ignore that path with the "new.ignore" option in
your notmuch config.

HTH,
Eric