joakim@verona.se writes: > Eli Zaretskii writes: > >>> From: joakim@verona.se >>> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 14:55:27 +0200 >>> >>> I'm finding it increasingly difficult to build emacs in my >>> distro, >>> Fedora(Ok, I havent managed to build emacs using distro >>> dependencies for >>> a long time) >> >> Why? what are the difficulties? > > In my case one of the problems that started the downward spiral > was the versions shipped of gnutls in > fedora which didnt work with emacs. > > The separate aproach of building all the dependencies emacs need > in a > separate build environment does work, like the Guix aproach. > > I could probably convince guix to do what I want, but guix is > also > fiddly. I was just wondering if somebody else had a solution for > a > reproducible development environment for emacs. > > Maybe I'm the only one facing these difficulties, that's fine I > guess. I was trying to build emacs on a debian + guix system today. The debian is bare minimum, and guix is used as the main package manager. Without `guix shell`, I got stuck at problem with gnutls: > configure: error: The following required libraries were not > found: > gnutls > Maybe some development libraries/packages are missing? The version of gnutls installed by guix in the system is 3.6.15. With `guix shell --development emacs`, gnutls wasn't a problem, but I got stuck at segfault at bootstrap-emacs.pdmp: > make[1]: *** [Makefile:858: bootstrap-emacs.pdmp] Segmentation > fault > make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/foo/source/emacs/src' > make: *** [Makefile:450: src] Error 2 On an Arch system where I used to be able to build emacs, it doesn't build either, and the error is about Recursive load in international/mule-cmds.el. I haven't looked into this error because it is a slow system and I'd rather build emacs on the debian + guix system. -- Best, Yuchen PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040 4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0