all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
To: Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org>
Cc: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de>, 52948@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#52948: 28.0.90; NS variant and X11 client are not separated on macOS Monterey, Version 12.1
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 10:20:32 +0100	[thread overview]

Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> writes:

> But the emacs executable is installed in /usr/local/bin or wherever.
> The app bundle is there purely as a helper for running from the GUI.
> I've said this three times now.
>
> If you want two, incompatible, UNIX style installs, you have to give
> them different prefixes. You wouldn't expect to be able to install
> both the PGTK and motif ports in the same place on a GNU/Linux system.

Skimming this bug report, I'm not sure I understand what the problem is,
or whether there's a problem here at all.

Using different prefixes is certainly the way to do it if you want to
install two different Emacs versions, but I'm not very familiar with
Macos stuff.  (And as usual, I don't understand why somebody says "make
install" at all on a development version -- Emacs runs just fine from
the build directories.)

So is there anything to do here, or should this bug report be closed?