all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* restoring window configuration after vc-ediff
@ 2022-05-14 10:46 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-05-14 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I often use vc-ediff instead of vc-diff to see the differences between
the working copy and a previous version.  Works very well.  I have just
one quibble: when I quit ediff, the previous version buffer is still
displayed.  Is there an easy way to restore the window configuration to
what it was when vc-ediff is invoked?

I could probably advise the function but would rather use existing
functionality if possible.

Thank you,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 29.0.50 2022-05-10) on Debian 11.3

* Re: restoring window configuration after vc-ediff
@ 2022-05-14 11:21 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-05-14 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
> Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 11:46:02 +0100
>
> I often use vc-ediff instead of vc-diff to see the differences between
> the working copy and a previous version.  Works very well.  I have just
> one quibble: when I quit ediff, the previous version buffer is still
> displayed.  Is there an easy way to restore the window configuration to
> what it was when vc-ediff is invoked?

The easiest way of leaving your window configuration untouched by a
command is to invoke that command in a separate frame.

* Re: restoring window configuration after vc-ediff
@ 2022-05-14 12:31   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-05-14 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Saturday, 14 May 2022 at 14:21, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> The easiest way of leaving your window configuration untouched by a
> command is to invoke that command in a separate frame.

Well, sure, but it definitely adds friction... currently, a simple key
binding invokes vc-ediff.  I would have to include creating and deleting
a frame to the process.  And this interferes to some degree with the
window (x parlance) manager.

For vc-ediff, there's (generally) no benefit in having the previous
version buffer remain visible after the ediff operation is finished.

I guess I'll advise the function instead making use of
save-window-excursion.

thank you,
eric
--

@ 2022-05-14 13:31     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-05-14 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
> Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 13:31:07 +0100
>
> On Saturday, 14 May 2022 at 14:21, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > The easiest way of leaving your window configuration untouched by a
> > command is to invoke that command in a separate frame.
>
> Well, sure, but it definitely adds friction... currently, a simple key
> binding invokes vc-ediff.  I would have to include creating and deleting
> a frame to the process.  And this interferes to some degree with the
> window (x parlance) manager.

If you are using Emacs 28 and later, there's the "C-x 5 5" prefix to
try.

* Re: restoring window configuration after vc-ediff
@ 2022-05-14 14:55       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-05-14 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Saturday, 14 May 2022 at 16:31, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> If you are using Emacs 28 and later, there's the "C-x 5 5" prefix to
> try.

Ah, yes, that helps reduce friction.  Thank you.

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 29.0.50 2022-05-10) on Debian 11.3