Eli Zaretskii writes: >> 3. Open the following org file >> #+begin_src sh :results graphics file :file /tmp/colour.png >> convert -size 300x300 xc:#002b36 /tmp/colour.png >> #+end_src > ... > Is the "convert" part in step 3 necessary to reproduce this? If so, > it's a huge turn-off for me, because I don't have, and won't have, > ImageMagick installed, or anything similar to it. So someone else > will have to investigate this in that case, sorry. It is not. Anything generating an image of known size will do. The original report is in https://list.orgmode.org/87wn7287n2.fsf@localhost/T/#mda89a57883b92c8b48ad6c4aec9e111c131efe92 You can try the following: #+begin_src sh :results graphics file :file /tmp/colour.png true #+end_src and then change to #+begin_src sh :results graphics file :file /tmp/colour2.png true #+end_src The images are attached. >> If I step through the code inserting the image overlays, the wrong (not >> updated) overlay appears in `org-display-inline-images': > > Where is this code through which you are stepping? `org-display-inline-images' >> (let ((ov (make-overlay >> (org-element-property :begin link) >> (progn >> (goto-char >> (org-element-property :end link)) >> (skip-chars-backward " \t") >> (point))))) >> (overlay-put ov 'display image) ;; <- the updated image is correctly displayed >> (overlay-put ov 'face 'default) ;; <- un-updated image is displayed until we move cursor to the overlay > > And if you switch the order of the above two lines? Ain't helping. > Anyway, it is not reliable to try to deduce what happens when stepping > through the code if the problem is relied to cursor motion or > redisplay, because Edebug changes all of that in radical ways. I use debug-on-entry. Probably not much different though. > Finally, a stab in the dark: the fact that the problem disappears when > you move the cursor might mean that a call to 'redisplay' (or some > other trigger for redisplay to know stuff has changed) is missing > somewhere. Nope. When I move the cursor away, the erroneous image is displayed again.