Severity: minor I think it's since upgrading to the following Texinfo version: $ makeinfo --version texi2any (GNU texinfo) 7.1 that I've been seeing the following warnings when building misc manuals: cc-mode.texi:838: warning: @footnote should not appear on @item line cc-mode.texi:1224: warning: @footnote should not appear on @item line cc-mode.texi:1229: warning: @footnote should not appear on @item line cc-mode.texi:1572: warning: @footnote should not appear on @item line org.texi:15658: warning: @anchor should not appear on @item line org.texi:15671: warning: @anchor should not appear on @item line Is this a Texinfo bug, or am I / are we doing something wrong? I'm confused because: 0. No warnings appear for cc-mode.texi lines 2336 and 2347. 1. "(texinfo) Footnote Commands" says: Footnotes cannot be nested, and cannot appear in section headings of any kind or other "unusual" places. A final tip: footnotes in the argument of an ‘@item’ command for an ‘@table’ must be entirely on the same line as the ‘@item’ (as usual). 2. "(texinfo) @table" says: You may write as many lines of supporting text as you wish, even several paragraphs. But only the text on the same line as the ‘@item’ will be placed in the first column (including any footnotes). 3. "(texinfo) Command Contexts" says: ‘@c’, ‘@comment’ and ‘@if ... @end if’ conditional commands may appear anywhere (except the conditionals must still be on lines by themselves). ‘@caption’ and ‘@shortcaption’ may only appear in ‘@float’ but may contain general text. ‘@footnote’ content likewise. In addition to the above, sectioning commands cannot contain ‘@anchor’, ‘@footnote’ or ‘@verb’. 4. "(texinfo) @anchor" says: It is best to put ‘@anchor’ commands just before the position you wish to refer to; that way, the reader's eye is led on to the correct text when they jump to the anchor. My reading of 1-3 is that @footnote is supported, or at least not disallowed, on an @item line. Based on 4, I tried the following change: