Juri Linkov writes: >> I'm not sure I understand why they need to be installed on emacs-30. >> Is this a regression in Emacs 29 or Emacs 30? What bad things will >> happen if we install the changes on master instead> No regression. > Replacing hard-coded logic with customizable variable > for external packages like activities.el is needed > as soon as possible on emacs-30 because hard-coded logic > hinders the use of packages. > > However, there is no hurry to change the default behavior > to match a symbol name instead of checking face names. > Therefore I think better to move the existing code > > (memq (get-text-property 0 'face (nth 2 item)) tab-bar-auto-width-faces) > > to the new predicate function on emacs-30. Then activities.el > can change it to another function that matches a symbol. > > Then on master the default body on the new predicate > could be replaced from checking the face to match a symbol. > Also changes in tab-bar--format-tab-group should be on master as well. Much as I'd like to use these changes asap, I think this patchset should go entirely on master. I see these changes as adding functionality (making tab-bar tabs more extensible) rather than bug fixes. >>> Does this change warrant a NEWS entry? >> >> Yes, since you are adding a hook variable. Obsolescence of a variable >> also requires a NEWS entry. Please see attached patches. Thanks! Joseph