all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* problems printing non-usascii characters
@ 2002-09-03 13:14 A. L. Meyers
From: A. L. Meyers @ 2002-09-03 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi! Using ps-printing, e. g. F10 - f - 2 , to print a text file
containing Latin 1 and/or Latin 9 characters not part of us-ascii
returns a question whether or not to continue as some characters are
not found in the font.  If I continue, I get blanks instead of the
characters.  How can I debug and solve this pesky problem?

Lucien
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
PGP key fingerprint=F1C0 D9AE 1B18 1405 4DFA  B4CC 6DC7 FF78 C76E FB15

* Re: problems printing non-usascii characters
@ 2002-09-03 15:12 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-03 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

A. L. Meyers <nospam.look@replyto.because.this.is.invalid> writes:

> Hi! Using ps-printing, e. g. F10 - f - 2 , to print a text file
> containing Latin 1 and/or Latin 9 characters not part of us-ascii
> returns a question whether or not to continue as some characters are
> not found in the font.  If I continue, I get blanks instead of the
> characters.  How can I debug and solve this pesky problem?

I have asked the same question (subject line "ps-print can't print
Latin-9 characters"), and Eli explained it's a two-step dance.  I'm
sure those words help you to find it in Google.

When you have done it, could you share the solution?  I haven't
gotten around to it.  I don't have a BDF font, for instance.

kai

* Re: problems printing non-usascii characters
@ 2002-09-03 15:39   ` A. L. Meyers
From: A. L. Meyers @ 2002-09-03 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Gro~johann) writes:

> A. L. Meyers <nospam.look@replyto.because.this.is.invalid> writes:
>
> > Hi! Using ps-printing, e. g. F10 - f - 2 , to print a text file
> > containing Latin 1 and/or Latin 9 characters not part of us-ascii
> > returns a question whether or not to continue as some characters are
> > not found in the font.  If I continue, I get blanks instead of the
> > characters.  How can I debug and solve this pesky problem?
>
> I have asked the same question (subject line "ps-print can't print
> Latin-9 characters"), and Eli explained it's a two-step dance.  I'm
> sure those words help you to find it in Google.
>
> When you have done it, could you share the solution?  I haven't
> gotten around to it.  I don't have a BDF font, for instance.

Have searched for your subject text string in Google but it doesn't
return any exact reference.  Will be happy to try and report the
solution once I find it and get it working for me.  (If it works for me
it will certainly work for anyone else  :-)  )  But now I'm stuck.
Have also tried adding 'two-step dance' to the search string but this
did not help.

Lucien
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
PGP key fingerprint=F1C0 D9AE 1B18 1405 4DFA  B4CC 6DC7 FF78 C76E FB15
To Big Brother Echelon from "spook":
SEAL Team 6 assassination bomb terrorist ammunition Somalia Khaddafi SDI

* Re: problems printing non-usascii characters
@ 2002-09-03 15:55   ` A. L. Meyers
From: A. L. Meyers @ 2002-09-03 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Gro~johann) writes:

> A. L. Meyers <nospam.look@replyto.because.this.is.invalid> writes:
>
> > Hi! Using ps-printing, e. g. F10 - f - 2 , to print a text file
> > containing Latin 1 and/or Latin 9 characters not part of us-ascii
> > returns a question whether or not to continue as some characters are
> > not found in the font.  If I continue, I get blanks instead of the
> > characters.  How can I debug and solve this pesky problem?
>
> I have asked the same question (subject line "ps-print can't print
> Latin-9 characters"), and Eli explained it's a two-step dance.  I'm
> sure those words help you to find it in Google.
>
> When you have done it, could you share the solution?  I haven't
> gotten around to it.  I don't have a BDF font, for instance.

Have searched Google in vain.  No exact match for your subject text,
Kai.  Once I get instructions and it works, will be happy to report the
solution.  If it works for me, it will work for anyone.  :-)

Lucien
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
PGP key fingerprint=F1C0 D9AE 1B18 1405 4DFA  B4CC 6DC7 FF78 C76E FB15
To Big Brother Echelon from "spook":
Noriega Legion of Doom opus dei Honduras fissionable domestic disruption

* Re: problems printing non-usascii characters
@ 2002-09-03 15:59     ` lawrence mitchell
From: lawrence mitchell @ 2002-09-03 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

A. L. Meyers wrote:

[...] ps-print and latin-1/9

try <URL:
http://www.google.com/groups?selm=3D403588.3CBFED30%40is.elta.co.il>

--
lawrence mitchell <wence@gmx.li>

* Re: problems printing non-usascii characters
@ 2002-09-03 19:24       ` A. L. Meyers
From: A. L. Meyers @ 2002-09-03 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Lawrence.  Here is Eli's answer:

It's a 2-step dance:

1. Frob the list in ps-mule-font-info-database-bdf to include an
   association for Latin-9 (see ps-mule.el).

2. Install a Latin-9 BFD font (if you don't have it already).

(While at that, please submit the changes to ps-mule.el for inclusion in
a future release.)

Alternatively, if your printer can print Latin-9 directly, modify
ps-mule-font-info-database-latin to include an association for Latin-9.

Sounds simple but it puts me out of my depths, which, admittedly, are
very shallow.  Some observations:

1. The problem exists with Gentoo GNU/Linux, not with Debian 3.0.
   (Perhaps blissful Southwestern US Province influence; they would
   anyway have preferred countinuing with 7bit ascii forever. ;-) )

2. Cannot find the verb "to frob" in my English dictionary.

3. Have a Postscript level 3 printer.  How can I know if it "groks"
   (he-he) Latin-9 directly?

So, to paraphrase Goethe's saying, I am as clever as before.

Lucien
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
PGP Key fingerprint=F1C0 D9AE 1B18 1405 4DFA  B4CC 6DC7 FF78 C76E FB15
To Big Brother Echelon from "spook":
Semtex supercomputer cryptographic sentiero luminoso kibo Sharon Ortega

* Re: problems printing non-usascii characters
@ 2002-09-03 21:49         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-03 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"A. L. Meyers" <nospam.look@replyto.because.this.is.invalid> writes:

> Sounds simple but it puts me out of my depths, which, admittedly, are
> very shallow.  Some observations:
>
> 1. The problem exists with Gentoo GNU/Linux, not with Debian 3.0.
>    (Perhaps blissful Southwestern US Province influence; they would
>    anyway have preferred countinuing with 7bit ascii forever. ;-) )

What did you do in Woody (that's the version, right?) to make it work?
It's not working in my Woody :-(

Maybe you installed some font package.  Hm.  "apt-cache search bdf"
doesn't turn up fonts, only utilities.

> 2. Cannot find the verb "to frob" in my English dictionary.

It means to change.  It also has some connotations about how
fine-grained it is, but I'm sure that http://www.dict.org/ (there's
also an Emacs interface called dict-web.el I think) has the full
story.

> 3. Have a Postscript level 3 printer.  How can I know if it "groks"
>    (he-he) Latin-9 directly?

I suggest to pretend it does.  Then print some umlauts and see if
they come out.  Then print the euro sign and see what you get.

kai

* Re: problems printing non-usascii characters
@ 2002-09-04  6:42           ` A. L. Meyers
From: A. L. Meyers @ 2002-09-04  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "A. L. Meyers" <nospam.look@replyto.because.this.is.invalid> writes:
>
>> Sounds simple but it puts me out of my depths, which, admittedly, are
>> very shallow.  Some observations:
>>
>> 1. The problem exists with Gentoo GNU/Linux, not with Debian 3.0.
>> (Perhaps blissful Southwestern US Province influence; they would
>> anyway have preferred countinuing with 7bit ascii forever. ;-) )
>
> What did you do in Woody (that's the version, right?) to make it work?
> It's not working in my Woody :-(
>
> Maybe you installed some font package.  Hm.  "apt-cache search bdf"
> doesn't turn up fonts, only utilities.

Yes, Woody, now stable.  Just used dselect and installed all the
available fonts including Chinese, Vietnamese, everything.  My
assumption was:  if they are all there, each app will gobble the ones
it wants.  Apparently works.

>> 2. Cannot find the verb "to frob" in my English dictionary.
>
> It means to change.  It also has some connotations about how
> fine-grained it is, but I'm sure that http://www.dict.org/ (there's
> also an Emacs interface called dict-web.el I think) has the full
> story.
>
>> 3. Have a Postscript level 3 printer.  How can I know if it "groks"
>> (he-he) Latin-9 directly?
>
> I suggest to pretend it does.  Then print some umlauts and see if they
> come out.  Then print the euro sign and see what you get.

On the Debian machine don't even have a ps capable printer.  Use
apsfilter.  But nevertheless don't get error messages.  ps-print just
works.

Lucien
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
PGP key fingerprint=F1C0 D9AE 1B18 1405 4DFA  B4CC 6DC7 FF78 C76E FB15
To Big Brother Echelon from "spook":
assassination Sudan Rumsfeld ammunition Peking Serbian Iraq Arafat Bush