all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Multiple ftp clients using ange-ftp?
@ 2003-11-29 18:24 Andrew Koenig
From: Andrew Koenig @ 2003-11-29 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use ange-ftp to access files on a variety of machines.  I would like to be
able to use /usr/bin/ftp for some machines and /usr/bin/sftp for others.

Is there a straightforward way to tell ange-ftp to use different ftp clients
for different buffers?

* Re: Multiple ftp clients using ange-ftp?
@ 2003-12-01 21:18 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-12-01 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Koenig wrote:

> I use ange-ftp to access files on a variety of machines.  I would like to be
> able to use /usr/bin/ftp for some machines and /usr/bin/sftp for others.
>
> Is there a straightforward way to tell ange-ftp to use different ftp clients
> for different buffers?

Does this work?

(defadvice ange-ftp-start-process (before ange-ftp-ftp-program-name activate)
   "Set `ange-ftp-ftp-program-name' depending on HOST."
   (cond ((member (ad-get-arg 0) '("somehost-1" "somehost-2"))
          (set (make-local-variable 'ange-ftp-ftp-program-name)
               "/usr/bin/ftp"))
         ((member (ad-get-arg 0) '("otherhost-1" "otherhost-2"))
          (set (make-local-variable 'ange-ftp-ftp-program-name)
               "/usr/bin/sftp"))))

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Multiple ftp clients using ange-ftp?
@ 2003-12-16 23:51 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-16 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Andrew Koenig" <ark@acm.org> writes:

> I use ange-ftp to access files on a variety of machines.  I would
> like to be able to use /usr/bin/ftp for some machines and
> /usr/bin/sftp for others.

I think Ange-FTP won't work with sftp because the output from that
program is slightly different from the output of the real ftp program.

For example, typing "dir" into an ftp client will print these two
lines:

229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||30318|)
150 Here comes the directory listing.

Then comes the dir listing.  Then comes another line:

226 Directory send OK.

These numbered lines are missing in sftp.

Advertisement alert: You could try Tramp, though, which uses ssh to
connect to the remote host.  It can use scp to transfer the files, or
it can transfer the files directly through the shell connection using
UU or base64 encoding.

Kai