all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* eshell history cycling
@ 2004-02-16  6:35 James Cozine
From: James Cozine @ 2004-02-16  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

While cycling forwards in the history, shells like bash stop when they
reach the end.  Eshell starts over from the beginning of the history
list.  Any pointers on how to get the bash behavior in eshell?

-jc
--
<bozo> !v
<bozo> *damn*

* Re: eshell history cycling
       [not found] <mailman.2458.1076913670.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-02-16  9:16 ` lawrence mitchell
From: lawrence mitchell @ 2004-02-16  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

James Cozine wrote:

> While cycling forwards in the history, shells like bash stop when they
> reach the end.  Eshell starts over from the beginning of the history
> list.  Any pointers on how to get the bash behavior in eshell?

See the variable `pcomplete-cycle-completions'.  If you want to
cycle completions elsewhere, just not in eshell, you could do
something like:

(add-hook 'eshell-mode-hook (lambda ()
                              (setq pcomplete-cycle-completions nil)))

--
lawrence mitchell <wence@gmx.li>

* Re: eshell history cycling
@ 2004-02-16 16:13   ` James Cozine
From: James Cozine @ 2004-02-16 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

lawrence mitchell <wence@gmx.li> writes:

> James Cozine wrote:
>
>> While cycling forwards in the history, shells like bash stop when they
>> reach the end.  Eshell starts over from the beginning of the history
>> list.  Any pointers on how to get the bash behavior in eshell?
>
> See the variable `pcomplete-cycle-completions'.  If you want to
> cycle completions elsewhere, just not in eshell, you could do
> something like:
>
> (add-hook 'eshell-mode-hook (lambda ()
>                               (setq pcomplete-cycle-completions nil)))

Neat.  Though I've become a bit attached to eshell's current method of
completion :p

Basically, I don't want eshell-previous-matching-input-from-input[1] to
loop; if it's reached the end of the list, simply stop instead of
starting over from the beginning.  Not only am I used to this behavior
in other shells, I'm used to this behavior in Emacs!

[1] The binding function of <up>, M-p, and indirectly, <down>, M-n

-jc
--
<Mr-Ikari> X is being evil on my laptop :(((
<adrian> you have to shake it to clear the screen