all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs port to Eclipse
@ 2004-02-22 21:25 Sarir Khamsi
From: Sarir Khamsi @ 2004-02-22 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

[I search google and did not find anything on this.]

Is there anyone working on a port of GNU Emacs to the Eclipse
framework? If not, has anyone looked at how they could work together?
Thanks.

Sarir

PS This isn't the place to go into Eclipse and why it might be a good
thing. See http://www.eclipse.org/ for more details.

[parent not found: <200402230625.i1N6PmdK746698@e3.ny.us.ibm.com>]
[parent not found: <mailman.327.1077546555.340.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
[parent not found: <200402241351.i1ODp3s7412194@e2.ny.us.ibm.com>]
[parent not found: <mailman.376.1077632835.340.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
[parent not found: <200402242049.i1OKnlEq092416@e35.co.us.ibm.com>]
[parent not found: <mailman.432.1077682879.340.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* Re: Emacs port to Eclipse
@ 2004-02-28  0:52 Thomas L Roche
From: Thomas L Roche @ 2004-02-28  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sarir Khamsi Sun, 22 Feb 2004 14:25:29 -0700
>>> Is there anyone working on a port of GNU Emacs to the Eclipse
>>> framework?

>>> If not, has anyone looked at how they could work together?

Tom Roche Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:17:15 -0500
>> Not particularly, but 2 things come to mind:

>> * Eclipse can run any COM object in a page (== <view|editor>), so a
>>   COM wrapper would work

Gian Uberto Lauri Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:23:49 +0100
> COM ? BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

> Not S.O. independent :> -

That's what I thought, until I heard about

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xpcom/

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/co-xpcom.html
> At the microscopic level, XPCOM and [Microsoft COM] appear
> identical: Both are interface based and require every interface to
> derive from the same base interface. This base interface defines the
> three methods QueryInterface, AddRef, and Release. Despite this
> common ideological heritage, MSCOM and XPCOM components are not
> compatible or interchangeable -- some sort of wrapper or glue code
> is required for the two to operate together. The embedding wrapper
> for Mozilla is a good example. It allows the browser engine to
> appear as an MSCOM ActiveX control while the browser engine
> internally operates on XPCOM components.

> The biggest contrast between XPCOM and MSCOM is that XPCOM
> technology is open source.

* Re: Emacs port to Eclipse
@ 2004-02-28  1:07 Thomas L Roche
From: Thomas L Roche @ 2004-02-28  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom Roche Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:17:15 -0500
>> * Eclipse can run any COM object in a page (== <view|editor>), so a
>>   COM wrapper [for Emacs] would work

Gian Uberto Lauri Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:23:49 +0100
> Not S.O. independent :> -

Tom Roche 02/27/2004 07:52 PM
> That's what I thought, until I heard about

> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xpcom/

> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/co-xpcom.html
> > The biggest contrast between XPCOM and MSCOM is that XPCOM
> > technology is open source.

Actually, a bigger contrast:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/co-xpcom.html
> XPCOM offers agility across platforms. It supports just about any
> platform that hosts a decent C++ compiler, including:

> * Microsoft Windows (all flavors)
> * Linux
> * HP-UX
> * AIX
> * Solaris
> * OpenVMS
> * MacOS
> * BSD

and that's from an article dated 1 February 2001.