all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Anti-aliased fonts support ?
@ 2004-05-05 23:32 Xavier Maillard
       [not found] ` <mailman.3644.1083829390.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-05-05 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am  sure this as been discussed  before but I didn't  see anything for
ages on that topic.

Is there any plan to support  anti-aliased fonts in Emacs ? Is there any
patch available out there ?

Thank you,

zeDek

Xpost and FU2 on comp.emacs
--
Xavier Maillard

main(){printf(&unix["\021%six\012\0"],(unix)["have"]+"fun"-0x60);}

* Re: Anti-aliased fonts support ?
@ 2004-05-06  7:10 ` Miles Bader
       [not found] ` <mailman.3644.1083829390.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-05-06  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:
> Is there any plan to support  anti-aliased fonts in Emacs ? Is there any
> patch available out there ?

There's a patch to add libxft support to Emacs, but the last time I
tried it, it was still quite unpolished[*].

Here's the info I have:

   version:           christopher.gray@mail.mcgill.ca--archive-ubc/emacs--xft--0

   archive-location:  http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~cmg/{archive}

The home page at http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~cmg/ also seems to work.

-Miles

[*] Indeed, for me it barely worked at all, even with lots of fiddling.
    However from the author's screenshot I gather he had better luck,
    so I guess it probably depends on what fonts you have installed, etc.
--
`...the Soviet Union was sliding in to an economic collapse so comprehensive
 that in the end its factories produced not goods but bads: finished products

@ 2004-05-06 11:56   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-05-06 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Miles Bader <miles@lsi.nec.co.jp> writes:
> Here's the info I have:
>    version:           christopher.gray@mail.mcgill.ca--archive-ubc/emacs--xft--0
>    archive-location:  http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~cmg/{archive}

Oh, er, incidentally that's an arch branch[*]; I don't know whether it's
available via other means or not.

[*] http://www.gnuarch.org

-Miles
--
o The existentialist, not having a pillow, goes everywhere with the book by
  Sullivan, _I am going to spit on your graves_.

* Re: Anti-aliased fonts support ?
@ 2004-05-06 12:30     ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-05-06 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On  6 May 2004, Miles Bader wrote:

> Miles Bader <miles@lsi.nec.co.jp> writes:
> > Here's        the         info        I        have:        version:
> > christopher.gray@mail.mcgill.ca--archive-ubc/emacs--xft--0
> > archive-location: http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~cmg/{archive}
>
> Oh, er,  incidentally that's an  arch branch[*]; I don't  know whether
> it's available via other means or not.
>
> [*] http://www.gnuarch.org

Thank you, I will check that.

--
   ,--.    Xavier Maillard, Reims, France                   ,= ,-_-. =.
  / ,- )   http://www.emacsfr.org/                         ((_/)o o(\_))

@ 2004-05-06 15:45   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-05-06 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> There's a patch to add libxft support to Emacs, but the last time I
> tried it, it was still quite unpolished[*].

Right it is still work-in-progress and hasn't seen much progres in
a while now.  The Arch branch is authoritative AFAIK.

> [*] Indeed, for me it barely worked at all, even with lots of fiddling.
>     However from the author's screenshot I gather he had better luck,
>     so I guess it probably depends on what fonts you have installed, etc.

Last time I talked to the guy he said that he hasn't implemented the
font-selection part of the code, only the display so you get a hard-coded
helvetica and that's it.  Also there were a few display glitches when
I tried it.

I'd love to see this work developed further.

* Re: Anti-aliased fonts support ?
@ 2004-05-06 17:03     ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-05-06 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On  6 May 2004, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Last time I  talked to the guy he said that  he hasn't implemented the
> font-selection  part  of the  code,  only the  display  so  you get  a
> hard-coded  helvetica and  that's it.  Also there  were a  few display
> glitches when I tried it.

Thank you for the feedback.

> I'd love to see this work developed further.

So am  I ! I'd like  also to see  mtty and unicode branches  merged into
HEAD.

Btw, I am using  mtty since yesterday (thaks to a friend  of mine) and I
have to concede this is great piece of work.

Regards,
--
GNUSFR.ORG                       http://gnusfr.org/
EMACSFR.ORG                      http://emacsfr.org/

* Re: Anti-aliased fonts support ?
@ 2004-05-06 17:48       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-05-06 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I'd love to see this work developed further.
> So am I!

I'm sure he'd welcome your help,

* Re: Anti-aliased fonts support ?
@ 2004-05-06 18:09         ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-05-06 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On  6 May 2004, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> > > I'd love to see this work developed further.
> > So am I!
>
> I'm sure he'd welcome your help,

If only I had time...

This is not the case unfortunatelly  and furthermore, I don't think I am
good enough to deal with Emacs internals :(

I wish I could though.

--
  "GNU is my religion"

.O.  Xavier Maillard