all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Persistent white background
@ 2005-01-15 14:30 Torsten Bronger
From: Torsten Bronger @ 2005-01-15 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallöchen!

I've just compiled the current Emacs CVS with the "gtk" option and
installed it on my SUSE 9.2 system.  Everything works fine except
for the background.  The proper background color is set only behind
characters, but not in the empty part of the frame.  So my
background is partly black (the actual set-background-color) and
white.  Settings in ~/.Xdefaults didn't help (and shouldn't be
necessary, should they?), neither did the "don't apply KDE colours
to non-KDE application" setting of KDE.  What could have gone wrong?

The result of the configure call can be found at
<http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/torsten.bronger/configure.log>.

Thank you!

Tschö,
Torsten.

* Re: Persistent white background
@ 2005-01-15 17:22 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-01-15 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> Hallöchen!
>
> I've just compiled the current Emacs CVS with the "gtk" option and
> installed it on my SUSE 9.2 system.  Everything works fine except
> for the background.  The proper background color is set only behind
> characters, but not in the empty part of the frame.  So my
> background is partly black (the actual set-background-color) and
> white.  Settings in ~/.Xdefaults didn't help (and shouldn't be
> necessary, should they?), neither did the "don't apply KDE colours
> to non-KDE application" setting of KDE.  What could have gone wrong?

You must use both these calls:

        (set-face-background 'border color)
        (set-background-color        color)

Litter box not here.
You must have moved it again.
I'll poop in the sink.

* Re: Persistent white background
@ 2005-01-15 17:44   ` Torsten Bronger
From: Torsten Bronger @ 2005-01-15 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallöchen!

Pascal Bourguignon <spam@mouse-potato.com> writes:

> Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
>
>> [...]  Everything works fine except for the background.  The
>> proper background color is set only behind characters, but not in
>> the empty part of the frame.  So my background is partly black
>> (the actual set-background-color) and white.  [...]
>
> You must use both these calls:
>
>         (set-face-background 'border color)
>         (set-background-color        color)

Unfortunately, this didn't help.  You can see how it looks like
here:
<http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/torsten.bronger/emacs-screenshot.png>.

@ 2005-01-15 20:55     ` Pascal Bourguignon
       [not found]       ` <mailman.13566.1105920532.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-01-15 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> Hallöchen!
>
> Pascal Bourguignon <spam@mouse-potato.com> writes:
>
> > Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
> >
> >> [...]  Everything works fine except for the background.  The
> >> proper background color is set only behind characters, but not in
> >> the empty part of the frame.  So my background is partly black
> >> (the actual set-background-color) and white.  [...]
> >
> > You must use both these calls:
> >
> >         (set-face-background 'border color)
> >         (set-background-color        color)

Oops, I forgot I have an advice on set-background-color:

  (defadvice set-background-color (after sbc-fringe last (color-name) activate)
    (when (facep 'fringe) (set-face-background 'fringe color-name)))

So, you'll need:

  (set-face-background 'border color)
  (set-background-color        color)
  (when (facep 'fringe) (set-face-background 'fringe color)))

> Unfortunately, this didn't help.  You can see how it looks like
> here:
> <http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/torsten.bronger/emacs-screenshot.png>.

I see that you want a black background and the problem is that it
stays white from the last character of each line to the right fringe
of the frame.

Well ISTR that I had this once upon a time, but I can't find any
parameter in my ~/.emacs that seems relevant. I use emacs version
21.3.1.

Perhaps you have the white color specified in ~/.Xresources.  If you
have an emacs*background line in this file,  comment them out or
delete it. Then use:

    xrdb -load ~/.Xresources

to let the X server learn the changes.  But the presence of this line
does not change the correct behavior of my version of emacs...

The world will now reboot.  don't bother saving your artefacts.

* Re: Persistent white background
@ 2005-01-16 23:49       ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]       ` <mailman.13566.1105920532.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-01-16 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.01.2005 um 21:55 schrieb Pascal Bourguignon:

> Oops, I forgot I have an advice on set-background-color:
>
>   (defadvice set-background-color (after sbc-fringe last (color-name)
> activate)
>     (when (facep 'fringe) (set-face-background 'fringe color-name)))

Isn't the fringe just a wide and colourful vertical border at both
sides of the buffer that contains line continuation marks?

Have you tried to set X defaults this way?

Emacs*background:    LightSteelBlue
Emacs*foreground:    DarkGreen

Could you check with strings what GNU Emacs expects as X ressources?

strings /usr/bin/emacs-21.3.50 | egrep '(back|fore)ground'

I too made GTK Emacsen under Red Hat Linux and Mac OS X and had no
problems with X resoources.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Remember: use logout to logout.

@ 2005-01-17  9:00         ` Torsten Bronger
From: Torsten Bronger @ 2005-01-17  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallöchen!

> [...]
>
> Have you tried to set X defaults this way?
>
> Emacs*background:    LightSteelBlue
> Emacs*foreground:    DarkGreen

Yes, I tried this variant, too, without any effect.

> Could you check with strings what GNU Emacs expects as X ressources?
>
> strings /usr/bin/emacs-21.3.50 | egrep '(back|fore)ground'

Probably it would not make sense anymore because I switched from GTK
to Motif.  I use it only for the pop-ups anyway (menu is off), so
this was the sensible thing to do.  BTW, even Athena, which I had
tried before Motif, didn't work properly: My .emacs sets the initial
size of the frame explicitly, and the "difference" between default
size and my size was left white and unprinted after startup.  But
with Motif it seems to work finally.

@ 2005-01-17  9:01           ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-01-17  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> Have you tried to set X defaults this way?
>>
>> Emacs*background:    LightSteelBlue
>> Emacs*foreground:    DarkGreen
>
> Yes, I tried this variant, too, without any effect.

You need to either restart your X session or call

xrdb .Xresources

for new settings to take effect.

@ 2005-01-17  9:23         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-01-17  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jan 17 2005, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Have you tried to set X defaults this way?
>
> Emacs*background:    LightSteelBlue
> Emacs*foreground:    DarkGreen
>
> Could you check with strings what GNU Emacs expects as X ressources?
>
> strings /usr/bin/emacs-21.3.50 | egrep '(back|fore)ground'

C'mon, Emacs is free software so there is no need for such "reverse
engineering" techniques.  The X Resources are documented in the
manual: (info "(emacs)Resources X").

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Persistent white background
@ 2005-01-17  9:51             ` Torsten Bronger
From: Torsten Bronger @ 2005-01-17  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallöchen!

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
>
>> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Have you tried to set X defaults this way?
>>>
>>> Emacs*background:    LightSteelBlue
>>> Emacs*foreground:    DarkGreen
>>
>> Yes, I tried this variant, too, without any effect.
>
> You need to either restart your X session or call

I did so; sometimes I even restarted the computer to be sure.
Further, I moved away the KDE directory with the "app-defaults"
(there was an Emacs.ad file in it), but it didn't help either.

@ 2005-01-17 11:04           ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-01-17 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 17.01.2005 um 10:00 schrieb Torsten Bronger:

> Probably it would not make sense anymore because I switched from GTK
> to Motif.

It's like going back to a once and still so-called 'glorious past' ...

>   I use it only for the pop-ups anyway (menu is off), so
> this was the sensible thing to do.

Pop-ups and menus use their own X resources:

Emacs.menubar.font:
-*-lucida-bold-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*
Emacs.menu*.background:         PapayaWhip
Emacs.menu*.foreground:         DarkGreen
Emacs.dialog*.font:             -*-new century
schoolbook-bold-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*
Emacs.dialog*.background:       LightSteelBlue1
Emacs.dialog*.foreground:       DarkRed

Emacs*popup.font:               -*-*-*-*-*-20-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*
!Emacs*menubar.font:            -*-*-*-*-*-20-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*
Emacs*popup.background:         Pink
Emacs*menubar.background:       Pink
Emacs*menubar.buttonForeground: Blue

Emacs*paneFont:                 -*-gill
sans-bold-r-*-*-0-0-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1
!chartreuse4
!!--emacs.pane.menubar.font:
-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-80-iso8859-8
!!--emacs.menu.popup.font:
-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-80-iso8859-8
Emacs.pane.font:                -*-baskerville-semi
bold-r-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*
Emacs.pane.menubar.font:
-*-utopia-bold-r-*-*-11-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*
Emacs.pane.menubar.buttonForeground:    blue
Emacs.pane.menubar.background:          cornsilk
Emacs.pane.menubar.foreground:          DarkOrange4
Emacs.pane.menubar.shadowThickness:     3
Emacs.pane.menubar.margin:              2
!Emacs*selectionFont:

I actually don't know whether any of them still works, but in Emacs
info there is still a lot explained on X ressources!

>   BTW, even Athena, which I had tried before Motif, didn't work
> properly

Athena is a poor choice, lucid is quite better as toolkit for X11. I
think it's Motif that waits for X resources like
'Emacs.pane.menubar.shadowThickness'. At work I had Gnome, i.e. GTK,
but almost never the time for 'experimental research' ...

Since I am working with Mac OS X and Apple's X11 now I have the
impression that xrdb is not working correctly anymore or that X11 has
become lousier according to its higher version numbers ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention

* Re: Persistent white background
@ 2005-01-18 16:29           ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-01-18 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 17.01.2005 um 10:23 schrieb Reiner Steib:

> C'mon, Emacs is free software so there is no need for such "reverse
> engineering" techniques.  The X Resources are documented in the
> manual: (info "(emacs)Resources X").

Yes, that's the usual place. There is nothing mentioned about GTK.
Since it makes a difference whether you're using Motif or Athena/Lucid
as X tool kit I'd presume GTK too brings some extras that are not yet
documented. Or is GTK's introduction into GNU Emacs so restricted that
there are no new X resources?

--
Greetings

   Pete

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence. - Jeremy S. Anderson

* Re: Persistent white background
@ 2005-01-18 17:02             ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-01-18 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 18 2005, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 17.01.2005 um 10:23 schrieb Reiner Steib:
>
>> C'mon, Emacs is free software so there is no need for such "reverse
>> engineering" techniques.  The X Resources are documented in the
>> manual: (info "(emacs)Resources X").
>
> Yes, that's the usual place. There is nothing mentioned about GTK.

Note the last line in the menu:

,----[ (info "(emacs)X Resources") ]
`----

,----[ (info "(emacs)GTK resources") ]
| If the Emacs installed at your site was built to use the GTK widget set,
| then the menu bar, scroll bar and the dialogs can be customized with
| the standard GTK `~/.gtkrc-2.0' file or with the Emacs specific
| `~/.emacs.d/gtkrc' file; note that these files are only for customizing
| specific GTK widget features.  To customize Emacs font, background,
| faces etc., use the normal X resources, see *Note Resources::.
`----

Bye, Reiner.

PS: No need to Cc me, see "Mail-Copies-To: nobody".
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Persistent white background
@ 2005-01-18 22:23 ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2005-01-18 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:30:46 +0100 Torsten Bronger
<bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> I've just compiled the current Emacs CVS with the "gtk" option and
> installed it on my SUSE 9.2 system.  Everything works fine except
> for the background.  The proper background color is set only behind
> characters, but not in the empty part of the frame.  So my
> background is partly black (the actual set-background-color) and
> white.  Settings in ~/.Xdefaults didn't help (and shouldn't be
> necessary, should they?), neither did the "don't apply KDE colours
> to non-KDE application" setting of KDE.  What could have gone wrong?

I have exactly the same set up (CVS Emacs built with gtk running on
SUSE 9.2) and see the same thing in KDE.  I don't know why, but I did
determine that it doesn't happen in e.g. the Blackbox window manager.
So it looks like a problem specific to Emacs+gtk+KDE.

Steve Berman