all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* does emacs look for dotemacs in ~/.emacs.d?
@ 2006-11-22  6:54 allisfree
From: allisfree @ 2006-11-22  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

 I recently checkout and compile emacs myself, it doesn't load the
dotemacs file if it only in ~/.emacs.d. But I remembered it used to
look for dotemacs in ~/.emacs.d by default.

need special hack?

* Re: does emacs look for dotemacs in ~/.emacs.d?
@ 2006-11-22  7:50 ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-11-22  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

allisfree@gmail.com writes:

>  I recently checkout and compile emacs myself, it doesn't load the
> dotemacs file if it only in ~/.emacs.d. But I remembered it used to
> look for dotemacs in ~/.emacs.d by default.

I thought I had read this also somewhere, but ...

> need special hack?

... in the NEWS file for Emacs 22 it says only it is looking for
init.el.

** Init file changes
If the init file ~/.emacs does not exist, Emacs will try
~/.emacs.d/init.el or ~/.emacs.d/init.elc.  You can also put the shell
init file .emacs_SHELL under ~/.emacs.d.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: does emacs look for dotemacs in ~/.emacs.d?
@ 2006-11-22  8:06 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-11-22  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

allisfree@gmail.com writes:

>  I recently checkout and compile emacs myself, it doesn't load the
> dotemacs file if it only in ~/.emacs.d. But I remembered it used to
> look for dotemacs in ~/.emacs.d by default.
>
> need special hack?

I seem to remember reading in the NEWS file of current CVS emacs
(emacs 22) that it will look in .emacs.d for your .emacs. I don't
remember this functionality in earlier versions.

HTH

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au