all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Dired vs MC
@ 2006-12-20 10:50 bcochofel
From: bcochofel @ 2006-12-20 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm used to use mc (midnight commander) to manage my files because of
the 2 collum option. Recently I've changed to dired and I'm satisfied
with the option (setq dired-dwim-target t)...

What I want to know is:

Can I use one buffer of dired to access a ssh path?

I really use this a lot under mc but if I can do this under emacs I'll
be very happy...

Thanks,
Bruno

* Re: Dired vs MC
@ 2006-12-20 13:13 ` harry meyers
       [not found] ` <mailman.2147.1166623877.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: harry meyers @ 2006-12-20 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

bcochofel schrieb:

> I'm used to use mc (midnight commander) to manage my files because of
> the 2 collum option. Recently I've changed to dired and I'm satisfied
> with the option (setq dired-dwim-target t)...
>
> What I want to know is:
>
> Can I use one buffer of dired to access a ssh path?

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/AngeFtp

With ange you can work on your remote files within a dired buffer

harry

* Re: Dired vs MC
@ 2006-12-20 14:10 ` Dieter Wilhelm
       [not found] ` <mailman.2147.1166623877.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-12-20 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"bcochofel" <bruno.cochofel@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm used to use mc (midnight commander) to manage my files because of
> the 2 collum option. Recently I've changed to dired and I'm satisfied
> with the option (setq dired-dwim-target t)...

8-)

> What I want to know is:
>
> Can I use one buffer of dired to access a ssh path?

I think so,  I just use it with for an ftp connection. This means I
type "C-x 4 d" and then

/METHOD:USER@HOST:FILENAME

where my METHOD is ftp but it should work also with ssh.

> I really use this a lot under mc but if I can do this under emacs I'll
> be very happy...

Yeah, it would be perfect when dired had an option for updating files
and not only overwriting stuff.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: Dired vs MC
@ 2006-12-21  7:18   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-12-21  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"harry meyers" <hmeyers@literaturlatenight.de> writes:

> bcochofel schrieb:
>
>> I'm used to use mc (midnight commander) to manage my files because of
>> the 2 collum option. Recently I've changed to dired and I'm satisfied
>> with the option (setq dired-dwim-target t)...
>>
>> What I want to know is:
>>
>> Can I use one buffer of dired to access a ssh path?
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/AngeFtp
>
> With ange you can work on your remote files within a dired buffer
>
> harry

I think tramp is a better solution than angeFtp, plus you get added
functionality not available with basic angeftp. Tramp also comes as
part of emacs 22.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Dired vs MC
       [not found] ` <mailman.2147.1166623877.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-21 19:08   ` Robert Thorpe
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2207.1166749449.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2006-12-21 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dieter Wilhelm wrote:
> "bcochofel" <bruno.cochofel@gmail.com> writes:
> > I really use this a lot under mc but if I can do this under emacs I'll
> > be very happy...
>
> Yeah, it would be perfect when dired had an option for updating files
> and not only overwriting stuff.

What do you mean? Did Dired used to work differently?

* Re: Dired vs MC
@ 2006-12-21 20:40     ` Will Parsons
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2203.1166737379.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Will Parsons @ 2006-12-21 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think tramp is a better solution than angeFtp, plus you get added
> functionality not available with basic angeftp. Tramp also comes as
> part of emacs 22.

Despite the numerous recommendations I've seen on this newsgroup to use
Tramp in place of ange-ftp, I've never been able to get Tramp to work
successfully (on NTemacs, vers. 21), so I've decided not to waste any
more time on it.  Ange-ftp suits my needs just fine.

- Will

* Re: Dired vs MC
@ 2006-12-21 21:42       ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2203.1166737379.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-12-21 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Will Parsons <oudeis@nodomain.invalid>
> Date: 21 Dec 2006 20:40:07 GMT
> >
> Despite the numerous recommendations I've seen on this newsgroup to use
> Tramp in place of ange-ftp, I've never been able to get Tramp to work
> successfully (on NTemacs, vers. 21)

Tramp works for me very well in NTEmacs v22, with PuTTY.

* Re: Dired vs MC
@ 2006-12-22  1:03     ` Dieter Wilhelm
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2207.1166749449.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-12-22  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Robert Thorpe" <rthorpe@realworldtech.com> writes:

> Dieter Wilhelm wrote:
>> "bcochofel" <bruno.cochofel@gmail.com> writes:
>> > I really use this a lot under mc but if I can do this under emacs I'll
>> > be very happy...
>>
>> Yeah, it would be perfect when dired had an option for updating files
>> and not only overwriting stuff.
>
> What do you mean? Did Dired used to work differently?

No, I wanted to express the subjunctive, I'm sorry, I think I should
have written: If dired had an option ...

I would like to have an option for copying (key "C") only newer files
then dired could replace totally midnight commander for me.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: Dired vs MC
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2203.1166737379.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-22  8:09         ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-12-22  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Tramp works for me very well in NTEmacs v22, with PuTTY.

That sounds really interesting! You don't by any chance have any
"recipe"? I use both PuTTY and CVS Emacs.

* Emacs in PDA
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2203.1166737379.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-22  9:07         ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2006-12-22  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'd like to buy soon a type of PDA thing which does the
following:

    o   allows me to connect to Internet thru Wi-Fi;
    o   allows me to make calls (maybe via VoIP);
    o   allows me to read my mails with Gnus... within Emacs.

Do you know which type of device does allow that?

Thank you,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Dired vs MC
@ 2006-12-22 10:42           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-12-22 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:09:04 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Tramp works for me very well in NTEmacs v22, with PuTTY.
>
> That sounds really interesting! You don't by any chance have any
> "recipe"? I use both PuTTY and CVS Emacs.

Doesn't it work for you out of the box?  If not, what are the
symptoms?

The only thing that could be considered as a ``recipe'' is that I have
set up a session in PuTTY for the machine to which I connect, with
some non-default settings.  But I don't think it's relevant to my
ability to use Tramp, and otherwise it ``just works''.  Tramp has full
support for PuTTY, you will see plink and pscp mentioned in tramp.el.

* Re: Emacs in PDA
@ 2006-12-22 11:43           ` ken
From: ken @ 2006-12-22 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 12/22/2006 04:07 AM somebody named Sébastien Vauban wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to buy soon a type of PDA thing which does the
> following:
>
>     o   allows me to connect to Internet thru Wi-Fi;
>     o   allows me to make calls (maybe via VoIP);
>     o   allows me to read my mails with Gnus... within Emacs.
>
> Do you know which type of device does allow that?
>
> Thank you,
>   Seb

In India there has been developed a GNU/Linux-based handheld.  See specs
at <http://www.simputer.org/simputer/spec/simpspec/>.  See also
<http://www.amidasimputer.com/>.

hth,
ken

--
"Peace hath her victories no less renown'd than war."
	--John Milton

* Re: Emacs in PDA
@ 2006-12-22 11:56             ` ken
From: ken @ 2006-12-22 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Sébastien Vauban, help-gnu-emacs

On 12/22/2006 06:43 AM somebody named ken wrote:
> On 12/22/2006 04:07 AM somebody named Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd like to buy soon a type of PDA thing which does the
>> following:
>>
>>     o   allows me to connect to Internet thru Wi-Fi;
>>     o   allows me to make calls (maybe via VoIP);
>>     o   allows me to read my mails with Gnus... within Emacs.
>>
>> Do you know which type of device does allow that?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>   Seb
>>

> In India there has been developed a GNU/Linux-based handheld.  See specs
> at <http://www.simputer.org/simputer/spec/simpspec/>.  See also
> <http://www.amidasimputer.com/>.
>
> hth,
> ken

Hmm.  It seems that, surprisingly, it doesn't have wifi.  You have to
connect to the internet via USB/serial.

* Re: Emacs in PDA
@ 2006-12-23 11:17           ` Malte Spiess
From: Malte Spiess @ 2006-12-23 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sébastien Vauban <zthjwsqqafhv@spammotel.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to buy soon a type of PDA thing which does the
> following:
>
>     o   allows me to connect to Internet thru Wi-Fi;
>     o   allows me to make calls (maybe via VoIP);
>     o   allows me to read my mails with Gnus... within Emacs.
>
> Do you know which type of device does allow that?

I know that some guys have a normal Debian running on a new Sharp Zaurus
(it has a 4(?) GB HD in it). Running Emacs should work fine.

> Thank you,
>   Seb

Greetings

Malte

P.S.: Please make a new threat for new topics.

* Re: Emacs in PDA
@ 2006-12-23 12:01             ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-12-23 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Malte Spiess <i1tnews@arcor.de> writes:

> I know that some guys have a normal Debian running on a new Sharp
> Zaurus (it has a 4(?) GB HD in it). Running Emacs should work fine.
>
> P.S.: Please make a new threat for new topics.

Something like "I'll break your bones if you propose using vi."?

* Re: Emacs in PDA
@ 2006-12-23 12:12               ` Malte Spiess
From: Malte Spiess @ 2006-12-23 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Malte Spiess <i1tnews@arcor.de> writes:
>
>> I know that some guys have a normal Debian running on a new Sharp
>> Zaurus (it has a 4(?) GB HD in it). Running Emacs should work fine.
>>
>> P.S.: Please make a new threat for new topics.
>
> Something like "I'll break your bones if you propose using vi."?

I'm sorry, I don't understand that...

I just mean that the article had references to the threat with
"Dired vs. MC" in it, which may make it hard to see that the topic is
new.

Greetings

Malte

P.S.: I'll break your nose if you ever mention that other editor! ;-)

* Re: Emacs in PDA
@ 2006-12-23 12:23                 ` Charles philip Chan
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2006-12-23 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23 Dec 2006, i1tnews@arcor.de wrote:

>>> P.S.: Please make a new threat for new topics.
>>
>> Something like "I'll break your bones if you propose using vi."?
>
> I'm sorry, I don't understand that...

He is making a joke about the misspelled word. It should be thread and
not threat. :-)

Charles

--
HARDFAIL("Not enough magic.");
        linux-2.4.0-test2/drivers/block/nbd.c

* Re: Emacs in PDA
@ 2006-12-23 12:24               ` Charles philip Chan
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2006-12-23 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23 Dec 2006, dak@gnu.org wrote:

> Something like "I'll break your bones if you propose using vi."?

ROTFL

Charles

--

@ 2006-12-23 13:23                 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-12-23 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 23.12.2006 um 13:12 schrieb Malte Spiess:

>>> P.S.: Please make a new threat for new topics.
>>
>> Something like "I'll break your bones if you propose using vi."?

There is a little difference between a threat and a thread ... I
think the NATO would not exist if they would have seen a thread
somewhere.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Know thyself. Need help, call GOOGLE.

* Re: Dired vs MC
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2207.1166749449.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-23 20:47       ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2006-12-23 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dieter Wilhelm wrote:
> "Robert Thorpe" <rthorpe@realworldtech.com> writes:
>
> > Dieter Wilhelm wrote:
> >>
> >> Yeah, it would be perfect when dired had an option for updating files
> >> and not only overwriting stuff.
> >
> > What do you mean? Did Dired used to work differently?
>
> No, I wanted to express the subjunctive,

Ah, weakness of the english language we speakers of it don't notice
because we've never experienced a language with it.

> I'm sorry, I think I should
> have written: If dired had an option ...
>
> I would like to have an option for copying (key "C") only newer files
> then dired could replace totally midnight commander for me.

Could you describe what you mean more.  Do you want Dired to mark files
created after a certain date?

This may be a weakness of Emacs we users of it don't notice because

@ 2006-12-24  2:42         ` Charles philip Chan
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2006-12-24  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23 Dec 2006, rthorpe@realworldtech.com wrote:

>> I would like to have an option for copying (key "C") only newer files
>> then dired could replace totally midnight commander for me.
>
> Could you describe what you mean more.  Do you want Dired to mark
> files created after a certain date?

What he meant is that if the file exist in the destination directory,
only replace the file if the file in the source directory is newer.

Charles

--
"The move was on to 'Free the Lizard'"

  -- Jim Hamerly and Tom Paquin (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)

* Re: Dired vs MC
@ 2006-12-24 12:11           ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2006-12-24 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Charles philip Chan wrote:
> On 23 Dec 2006, rthorpe@realworldtech.com wrote:
>
> >> I would like to have an option for copying (key "C") only newer files
> >> then dired could replace totally midnight commander for me.
> >
> > Could you describe what you mean more.  Do you want Dired to mark
> > files created after a certain date?
>
> What he meant is that if the file exist in the destination directory,
> only replace the file if the file in the source directory is newer.
>
> Charles

Ah.  You want something like:-
M-x dired-compare-directories RET
... select 2nd directory name... RET
(> mtime1 mtime2) RET

You could bind it to a key in some way.

* Re: Dired vs MC
@ 2006-12-25 23:02             ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-12-25 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Robert Thorpe" <rthorpe@realworldtech.com> writes:

> Charles philip Chan wrote:
>> On 23 Dec 2006, rthorpe@realworldtech.com wrote:

>> What he meant is that if the file exist in the destination directory,
>> only replace the file if the file in the source directory is newer.
>>

> Ah.  You want something like:-
> M-x dired-compare-directories RET
> ... select 2nd directory name... RET
> (> mtime1 mtime2) RET

Thank you, this can be helpful but it is inconvenient when you would
like to apply these predicates recursively to sub-directories.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany