"Rajesh Vaidheeswarran" writes: > As the author of whitespace.el, it was my intent to keep tabs at 8 > characters. Yep, it was clear enough :-) > People set tab-widths to whatever they please on their favorite > editors. However, there is no way to portably move the definition of > TAB across people and platforms, other than the value of 8 spaces. I do agree on the point. But, again, isn't a misfeature that changing tab-width and using whitespace.el screws up the formating (in Emacs, only, here) ? I mean the following. Tab-width is 2, spaces are ` ' and tabs `->'. My document is : int main () { ->printf("Hello !"); ->/* Oh, I forgot the \n ! */ ->if (true) ->->if (true) ->->->if (really(true)) printf("\n"); } If I use whitespace-cleanup here, the last printf will be indented with the first if, because the 8 spaces will be replaced with a . We are OK: there's no way to have consistency between editors, but maybe this would be an improvement on the self-consistency of Emacs, nop ? And after all, if the user, with the help of great tools like whitespace.el, keeps a well formated use of TABs, this would enhance portability of these TABs (modulo their size), isn't it ? -- | Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac | Le copillage-collage | | Epita/LRDE Promo 2007 | tue le programmeur. | | http://michael.cadilhac.name | -- Dictons LRDE | `--JID: michael.cadilhac@gmail.com--' - --'