all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gdb with tramp problem
@ 2008-07-13  3:21 Joe Bloggs
       [not found] ` <mailman.14673.1215987612.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Bloggs @ 2008-07-13  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I load a remote c file with tramp, and run gdb through emacs on the
corresponding executable, tramp runs gdb on the remote machine as required.
However when I set a breakpoint and try stepping through the code, it fails
to indicate the current position in the buffer containing the remote source
(as it would if I ran gdb locally with a local source file). Instead it opens
a new empty buffer, and gives it the same name as the remote source file,
and with a local path (e.g. instead of /me@remote:/home/me/file.c
it's listed as /home/me/file.c).
Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

* Re: gdb with tramp problem
@ 2008-07-13 22:19 ` Nick Roberts
       [not found] ` <mailman.14673.1215987612.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nick Roberts @ 2008-07-13 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Bloggs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > When I load a remote c file with tramp, and run gdb through emacs on the
 > corresponding executable, tramp runs gdb on the remote machine as required.
 > However when I set a breakpoint and try stepping through the code, it fails
 > to indicate the current position in the buffer containing the remote source
 > (as it would if I ran gdb locally with a local source file). Instead it opens
 > a new empty buffer, and gives it the same name as the remote source file,
 > and with a local path (e.g. instead of /me@remote:/home/me/file.c
 > it's listed as /home/me/file.c).
 > Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

It works for me.  What version of Emacs are you using?  What version of GDB?
What platform?  It's best if you report a bug using M-x report-emacs-bug.
After GDB stops at the breakpoint What does "info source" give?

* Re: gdb with tramp problem
       [not found] ` <mailman.14673.1215987612.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-07-14  2:23   ` Joe Bloggs
From: Joe Bloggs @ 2008-07-14  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> writes:

>  > When I load a remote c file with tramp, and run gdb through emacs on the
>  > corresponding executable, tramp runs gdb on the remote machine as required.
>  > However when I set a breakpoint and try stepping through the code, it fails
>  > to indicate the current position in the buffer containing the remote source
>  > (as it would if I ran gdb locally with a local source file). Instead it opens
>  > a new empty buffer, and gives it the same name as the remote source file,
>  > and with a local path (e.g. instead of /me@remote:/home/me/file.c
>  > it's listed as /home/me/file.c).
>  > Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
>
> It works for me.  What version of Emacs are you using?  What version of GDB?
> What platform?  It's best if you report a bug using M-x report-emacs-bug.
> After GDB stops at the breakpoint What does "info source" give?
>
> --
> Nick                                           http://www.inet.net.nz/~nickrob

Emacs 21.4.1 on Debian Etch with gdb 6.4.90-debian, and using cc-mode version 5.31.3
'info source' from within gdb gives the correct path to the source file.
Strange thing is I can set the breakpoint from within the source buffer with C-x <SPC>

* Re: gdb with tramp problem
@ 2008-07-14  8:01     ` Michael Albinus
       [not found]       ` <mailman.14691.1216028216.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Albinus @ 2008-07-14  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Bloggs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Joe Bloggs <who@cares.invalid> writes:

> Emacs 21.4.1 on Debian Etch with gdb 6.4.90-debian, and using cc-mode version 5.31.3
> 'info source' from within gdb gives the correct path to the source file.
> Strange thing is I can set the breakpoint from within the source buffer with C-x <SPC>

Which version of Tramp do you use? I would expect that you need Tramp
2.1; Tramp 2.0 (as offered by Debian) is not sufficient AFAIK.

I also remember some tuning in Emacs 23 wrt cooperation of gdb and
Tramp. Nick shall know it better than I do :-) but likely Emacs 23 is
the best choice for this task.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: gdb with tramp problem
@ 2008-07-14  8:29       ` Nick Roberts
       [not found]       ` <mailman.14691.1216028216.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nick Roberts @ 2008-07-14  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Albinus writes:
 > Joe Bloggs <who@cares.invalid> writes:
 >
 > > Emacs 21.4.1 on Debian Etch with gdb 6.4.90-debian, and using cc-mode version 5.31.3
 > > 'info source' from within gdb gives the correct path to the source file.
 > > Strange thing is I can set the breakpoint from within the source buffer with C-x <SPC>
 >
 > Which version of Tramp do you use? I would expect that you need Tramp
 > 2.1; Tramp 2.0 (as offered by Debian) is not sufficient AFAIK.
 >
 > I also remember some tuning in Emacs 23 wrt cooperation of gdb and
 > Tramp. Nick shall know it better than I do :-) but likely Emacs 23 is
 > the best choice for this task.

I think it needs this change:

2007-07-11  Michael Albinus  <michael.albinus@gmx.de>

	* progmodes/gud.el (gud-file-name): When `default-directory' is a
	remote file name, prepend its remote part to the filename.
	(gud-common-init): When `default-directory' is a remote file name,
	make the filename relative to it.

which missed 22.1 but is part of Emacs 22.2.

* Re: gdb with tramp problem
@ 2008-07-14  8:37         ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2008-07-14  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> writes:

>  > I also remember some tuning in Emacs 23 wrt cooperation of gdb and
>  > Tramp. Nick shall know it better than I do :-) but likely Emacs 23 is
>  > the best choice for this task.
>
> I think it needs this change:
>
> 2007-07-11  Michael Albinus  <michael.albinus@gmx.de>

Thanks a lot! You are as good as my wife; I tend to forget everything,
and she reminds me.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: gdb with tramp problem
       [not found]       ` <mailman.14691.1216028216.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-07-14 13:52         ` Joe Bloggs
       [not found]           ` <mailman.14717.1216058303.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Bloggs @ 2008-07-14 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> writes:

> Michael Albinus writes:
>  > Joe Bloggs <who@cares.invalid> writes:
>  >
>  > > Emacs 21.4.1 on Debian Etch with gdb 6.4.90-debian, and using cc-mode version 5.31.3
>  > > 'info source' from within gdb gives the correct path to the source file.
>  > > Strange thing is I can set the breakpoint from within the source buffer with C-x <SPC>
>  >
>  > Which version of Tramp do you use? I would expect that you need Tramp
>  > 2.1; Tramp 2.0 (as offered by Debian) is not sufficient AFAIK.
>  >
>  > I also remember some tuning in Emacs 23 wrt cooperation of gdb and
>  > Tramp. Nick shall know it better than I do :-) but likely Emacs 23 is
>  > the best choice for this task.
>
> I think it needs this change:
>
> 2007-07-11  Michael Albinus  <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
>
> 	* progmodes/gud.el (gud-file-name): When `default-directory' is a
> 	remote file name, prepend its remote part to the filename.
> 	(gud-common-init): When `default-directory' is a remote file name,
> 	make the filename relative to it.
>
> which missed 22.1 but is part of Emacs 22.2.
>
> --
> Nick                                           http://www.inet.net.nz/~nickrob

Does that mean I need to upgrade to Emacs > 22.2 to get it work properly?
If so can you give me any tips on tranferring packages, setting load-path, etc.
I have 22.2 installed but don't use it as I have had some problems:

An error has occurred while loading `/home/me/.emacs':

File error: Cannot open load file, tramp-gw

thanks.

* Re: gdb with tramp problem
@ 2008-07-14 17:59           ` Michael Albinus
       [not found]           ` <mailman.14717.1216058303.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Albinus @ 2008-07-14 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Bloggs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Joe Bloggs <who@cares.invalid> writes:

> Does that mean I need to upgrade to Emacs > 22.2 to get it work properly?
> If so can you give me any tips on tranferring packages, setting load-path, etc.
> I have 22.2 installed but don't use it as I have had some problems:
>
> An error has occurred while loading `/home/me/.emacs':
>
> File error: Cannot open load file, tramp-gw

tramp-gw.el belongs to Tramp 2.1. Could you, please, check your Tramp
installation? Which Tramp version do you have installed, and where?
You might check it via "C-h v tramp-version RET" and
"M-x locate-library RET tramp RET".

> thanks.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: gdb with tramp problem
       [not found]           ` <mailman.14717.1216058303.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-07-14 20:18             ` Joe Bloggs
       [not found]               ` <mailman.14722.1216072637.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Bloggs @ 2008-07-14 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Joe Bloggs <who@cares.invalid> writes:
>
>> Does that mean I need to upgrade to Emacs > 22.2 to get it work properly?
>> If so can you give me any tips on tranferring packages, setting load-path, etc.
>> I have 22.2 installed but don't use it as I have had some problems:
>>
>> An error has occurred while loading `/home/me/.emacs':
>>
>> File error: Cannot open load file, tramp-gw
>
> tramp-gw.el belongs to Tramp 2.1. Could you, please, check your Tramp
> installation? Which Tramp version do you have installed, and where?
> You might check it via "C-h v tramp-version RET" and
> "M-x locate-library RET tramp RET".
>
>> thanks.
>
> Best regards, Michael.

tramp-version = 2.1.13 (I recently upgraded from 2.0.?)
locate-library gives "~/.emacs.d/tramp"
the contents of which are:

((["ssh" "me" "remotemachine" nil]
  ("uname" "Linux 2.6.20-15-generic")
  ("test" "test")
  ("/bin" t)
  ("/usr/bin" t)
  ("/usr/sbin" t)
  ("/usr/local/bin" t)
  ("/local/bin" nil)
  ("/local/freeware/bin" nil)
  ("/local/gnu/bin" nil)
  ("/usr/freeware/bin" nil)
  ("/usr/pkg/bin" nil)
  ("/usr/contrib/bin" nil)
  ("remote-path"
   ("/bin" "/usr/bin" "/usr/sbin" "/usr/local/bin"))
  ("remote-shell" "/bin/sh")
  ("ls" "/bin/ls")
  ("file-exists" "test -e")
  ("stat" "\\stat")
  ("id" "/usr/bin/id")
  ("gid-integer" 1000)
  ("perl" "\\perl")
  ("local-encoding" base64-encode-region)
  ("local-decoding" base64-decode-region)
  ("remote-encoding" tramp-perl-encode-with-module)
  ("remote-decoding" tramp-perl-decode-with-module)))

* Re: gdb with tramp problem
@ 2008-07-14 21:57               ` Michael Albinus
       [not found]               ` <mailman.14722.1216072637.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Albinus @ 2008-07-14 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joe Bloggs <who@cares.invalid> writes:

> locate-library gives "~/.emacs.d/tramp"

Oops, that is just the persistency file, and not the code. I would
expect the location of tramp.el as answer.

Anyway, I believe you have installed Tramp with Emacs 21 being
active. That's why tramp-gw.el hasn't been installed. And now it is
missing in Emacs 22.

You might fix it when you go to the directory where you have untarred
Tramp. Then try the following:

make clean
./configure --with-emacs=emacs22
make
make install

I assume, that "emacs22" runs Emacs 22 :-)

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: gdb with tramp problem
       [not found]               ` <mailman.14722.1216072637.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-07-16 16:52                 ` Joe Bloggs
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.14872.1216252032.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Bloggs @ 2008-07-16 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Joe Bloggs <who@cares.invalid> writes:
>
>> locate-library gives "~/.emacs.d/tramp"
>
> Oops, that is just the persistency file, and not the code. I would
> expect the location of tramp.el as answer.
>
> Anyway, I believe you have installed Tramp with Emacs 21 being
> active. That's why tramp-gw.el hasn't been installed. And now it is
> missing in Emacs 22.
>
> You might fix it when you go to the directory where you have untarred
> Tramp. Then try the following:
>
> make clean
> ./configure --with-emacs=emacs22
> make
> make install
>
> I assume, that "emacs22" runs Emacs 22 :-)
>
> Best regards, Michael.

I did as you said, and I now get the correct buffer for the remote source
interacting with gud. I can set breakpoints in the source buffer and the red
dot appears in the margin. However, there is no indication of the current
line of execution, even when I step (C-x C-a C-n) from within the source buffer.
Also I dont see any tooltips after setting gud-tooltip-mode (I have checked
gud-tooltip-modes to ensure c-mode is included).

* Re: gdb with tramp problem
       [not found]               ` <mailman.14722.1216072637.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-07-16 23:03                 ` Joe Bloggs
From: Joe Bloggs @ 2008-07-16 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Joe Bloggs <who@cares.invalid> writes:
>
>> locate-library gives "~/.emacs.d/tramp"
>
> Oops, that is just the persistency file, and not the code. I would
> expect the location of tramp.el as answer.
>
> Anyway, I believe you have installed Tramp with Emacs 21 being
> active. That's why tramp-gw.el hasn't been installed. And now it is
> missing in Emacs 22.
>
> You might fix it when you go to the directory where you have untarred
> Tramp. Then try the following:
>
> make clean
> ./configure --with-emacs=emacs22
> make
> make install
>
> I assume, that "emacs22" runs Emacs 22 :-)
>
> Best regards, Michael.

I also have another problem with tramp (2.1.13)..
when I start up emacs 22.2.1 tramp immediately asks me if I want to
connect to the remote machine. If I say yes and the machine is turned on
then it connects and I can then continue using emacs as normal. However,
if I say no, or the remote machine is turned off then my .emacs is not
loaded and I get a blank start screen (but can continue to use emacs without
my customizations).

* Re: gdb with tramp problem
@ 2008-07-16 23:47                   ` Nick Roberts
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.14872.1216252032.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nick Roberts @ 2008-07-16 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

 > I did as you said, and I now get the correct buffer for the remote source
 > interacting with gud. I can set breakpoints in the source buffer and the red
 > dot appears in the margin. However, there is no indication of the current
 > line of execution, even when I step (C-x C-a C-n) from within the source buffer.
 > Also I dont see any tooltips after setting gud-tooltip-mode (I have checked
 > gud-tooltip-modes to ensure c-mode is included).

When I tried it using Emacs from CVS `C-x C-a C-n' worked but gud-tooltip-mode
gave an error when Emacs tried to display a source file.  I've corrected that
error now.

I suspect there's still comething wrong with your setup.  Since Emacs 22
includes Tramp, I don't know why you can't delete the version that you appear
to have downloaded seaparately and just compile Emacs 22.2 normally.  I think
this would solve the problem when stepping.  You would still need Emacs from
CVS for GUD tooltips to work, of course.

* Re: gdb with tramp problem
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.14872.1216252032.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-07-17 19:29                     ` Joe Bloggs
From: Joe Bloggs @ 2008-07-17 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> writes:

>  > I did as you said, and I now get the correct buffer for the remote source
>  > interacting with gud. I can set breakpoints in the source buffer and the red
>  > dot appears in the margin. However, there is no indication of the current
>  > line of execution, even when I step (C-x C-a C-n) from within the source buffer.
>  > Also I dont see any tooltips after setting gud-tooltip-mode (I have checked
>  > gud-tooltip-modes to ensure c-mode is included).
>
> When I tried it using Emacs from CVS `C-x C-a C-n' worked but gud-tooltip-mode
> gave an error when Emacs tried to display a source file.  I've corrected that
> error now.
>
> I suspect there's still comething wrong with your setup.  Since Emacs 22
> includes Tramp, I don't know why you can't delete the version that you appear
> to have downloaded seaparately and just compile Emacs 22.2 normally.  I think
> this would solve the problem when stepping.  You would still need Emacs from
> CVS for GUD tooltips to work, of course.
>
> --
> Nick                                           http://www.inet.net.nz/~nickrob

I couldn't get gdb to work with the version of tramp that comes with emacs 22,
that's why I installed the new version.

* Re: gdb with tramp problem
@ 2008-07-17 19:31                   ` Joe Bloggs
From: Joe Bloggs @ 2008-07-17 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joe Bloggs <who@cares.invalid> writes:

> Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Joe Bloggs <who@cares.invalid> writes:
>>
>>> locate-library gives "~/.emacs.d/tramp"
>>
>> Oops, that is just the persistency file, and not the code. I would
>> expect the location of tramp.el as answer.
>>
>> Anyway, I believe you have installed Tramp with Emacs 21 being
>> active. That's why tramp-gw.el hasn't been installed. And now it is
>> missing in Emacs 22.
>>
>> You might fix it when you go to the directory where you have untarred
>> Tramp. Then try the following:
>>
>> make clean
>> ./configure --with-emacs=emacs22
>> make
>> make install
>>
>> I assume, that "emacs22" runs Emacs 22 :-)
>>
>> Best regards, Michael.
>
> I also have another problem with tramp (2.1.13)..
> when I start up emacs 22.2.1 tramp immediately asks me if I want to
> connect to the remote machine. If I say yes and the machine is turned on
> then it connects and I can then continue using emacs as normal. However,
> if I say no, or the remote machine is turned off then my .emacs is not
> loaded and I get a blank start screen (but can continue to use emacs without
> my customizations).

Fixed the problem with tramp asking me to connect on emacs startup.
I removed all of the old tramp files (previous version).