all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How can I make emacs open next directory in same window?
@ 2008-08-23 20:37 ssecorp
From: ssecorp @ 2008-08-23 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have some things about emacs I find annoying.

1. If I have split emacs into 2 windows and in one I open a directory
in one and click on them it will open in the other window, how can I
make it open in the same window?

2. If I have solit first into 2 vertical windows and then split one of
them into 2 horizontal and I want to undo the last split, can I do
that? C-x-1 undoes all...

3. If I want to split into 3 equally big windows and not split into 2
then split one of them into 2, how would I do that?
I want 1/3,1/3,1/3 not 1/2,1/4,1/4

* Re: How can I make emacs open next directory in same window?
@ 2008-08-23 22:27 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-08-23 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ssecorp; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 23.08.2008 um 22:37 schrieb ssecorp:

> 1. If I have split emacs into 2 windows and in one I open a directory
> in one and click on them it will open in the other window, how can I
> make it open in the same window?

Either type f (to follow into that directory) or bind the <mouse-2>
event to a different function than the default dired-mouse-find-file-
other-window.

--
Greetings

   Pete

* Re: How can I make emacs open next directory in same window?
@ 2008-08-23 22:39 ` Rupert Swarbrick
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2008-08-23 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ssecorp <circularfunc@gmail.com> writes:

> I have some things about emacs I find annoying.
>
> 1. If I have split emacs into 2 windows and in one I open a directory
> in one and click on them it will open in the other window, how can I
> make it open in the same window?

In dired.el, near the top of a loong initialisation of the dired keymap
(line 1191), there's a line like this:

(define-key map [mouse-2] 'dired-mouse-find-file-other-window)

Looking at the definition of dired-mouse-find-file-other-window, you
find:

[-- Attachment #1.2: b.el --]

(yes. Eek) So I would try something like the following:

[-- Attachment #1.4: c.el --]

Note that this is a bit rubbish - the only change is on the 3rd last
line of the function. If anyone knows whether it's possible to
dynamically bind dired-other-window to be dired for a sec while calling
the other version, it'd be a lot more elegant.

Anyway, that worked for me here!

> 2. If I have solit first into 2 vertical windows and then split one of
> them into 2 horizontal and I want to undo the last split, can I do
> that? C-x-1 undoes all...

Well this one's easy :)

C-x 0 deletes a window, so if you have the situation you described, when
you're in the window marked *

/-------------\
|  *   |      |
+-------------+
|      |      |
\-------------/

hitting C-x 0 will give you

/-------------\
|      *      |
+-------------+
|      |      |
\-------------/

etc.

> 3. If I want to split into 3 equally big windows and not split into 2
> then split one of them into 2, how would I do that?
> I want 1/3,1/3,1/3 not 1/2,1/4,1/4

I didn't know of existing code to do this, so I hacked something up
myself:

[-- Attachment #1.6: a.el --]

Exercise for reader: Deal with the rounding errors that I've completely
ignored.

That said, it seems to work reasonably well here!

Rupert

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 314 bytes --]

* Re: How can I make emacs open next directory in same window?
@ 2008-08-23 23:33 ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2008-08-23 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ssecorp wrote:
> I have some things about emacs I find annoying.
>
> 1. If I have split emacs into 2 windows and in one I open a directory
> in one and click on them it will open in the other window, how can I
> make it open in the same window?
>
> 2. If I have solit first into 2 vertical windows and then split one of
> them into 2 horizontal and I want to undo the last split, can I do
> that? C-x-1 undoes all...

That's what winner-mode does.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/WinnerMode

> 3. If I want to split into 3 equally big windows and not split into 2
> then split one of them into 2, how would I do that?
> I want 1/3,1/3,1/3 not 1/2,1/4,1/4

C-x +
balance-windows

-ap

* Re: How can I make emacs open next directory in same window?
@ 2008-08-24 20:45   ` ssecorp
From: ssecorp @ 2008-08-24 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 24, 1:33 am, Andreas Politz <poli...@fh-trier.de> wrote:
> ssecorp wrote:
> > I have some things about emacs I find annoying.
>
> > 1. If I have split emacs into 2 windows and in one I open a directory
> > in one and click on them it will open in the other window, how can I
> > make it open in the same window?
>
> > 2. If I have solit first into 2 vertical windows and then split one of
> > them into 2 horizontal and I want to undo the last split, can I do
> > that? C-x-1 undoes all...
>
> That's what winner-mode does.
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/WinnerMode
>
> > 3. If I want to split into 3 equally big windows and not split into 2
> > then split one of them into 2, how would I do that?
> > I want 1/3,1/3,1/3 not 1/2,1/4,1/4
>
> C-x +
> balance-windows
>
> -ap

thanks, correction M-x not C-x though :)

* Re: How can I make emacs open next directory in same window?
@ 2008-08-25  8:41     ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2008-08-25  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ssecorp wrote:
> On Aug 24, 1:33 am, Andreas Politz <poli...@fh-trier.de> wrote:
>> ssecorp wrote:
>>> I have some things about emacs I find annoying.
>>> 1. If I have split emacs into 2 windows and in one I open a directory
>>> in one and click on them it will open in the other window, how can I
>>> make it open in the same window?
>>> 2. If I have solit first into 2 vertical windows and then split one of
>>> them into 2 horizontal and I want to undo the last split, can I do
>>> that? C-x-1 undoes all...
>> That's what winner-mode does.
>>
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/WinnerMode
>>
>>> 3. If I want to split into 3 equally big windows and not split into 2
>>> then split one of them into 2, how would I do that?
>>> I want 1/3,1/3,1/3 not 1/2,1/4,1/4
>> C-x +
>> balance-windows
>>
>> -ap
>
> thanks, correction M-x not C-x though :)

The command 'balance-window' is bound to 'C-x +', at least this side :)

-ap

* Re: How can I make emacs open next directory in same window?
@ 2008-08-25  9:15     ` Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-08-25  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ssecorp <circularfunc@gmail.com> writes:

> On Aug 24, 1:33 am, Andreas Politz <poli...@fh-trier.de> wrote:
>> ssecorp wrote:
>> > I have some things about emacs I find annoying.
>>
>> > 1. If I have split emacs into 2 windows and in one I open a directory
>> > in one and click on them it will open in the other window, how can I
>> > make it open in the same window?
>>
>> > 2. If I have solit first into 2 vertical windows and then split one of
>> > them into 2 horizontal and I want to undo the last split, can I do
>> > that? C-x-1 undoes all...
>>
>> That's what winner-mode does.
>>
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/WinnerMode
>>
>> > 3. If I want to split into 3 equally big windows and not split into 2
>> > then split one of them into 2, how would I do that?
>> > I want 1/3,1/3,1/3 not 1/2,1/4,1/4
>>
>> C-x +
>> balance-windows
>>
>> -ap
>
> thanks, correction M-x not C-x though :)

It's C-x here.

,----
| C-x + runs the command balance-windows
|   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `window.el'.
`----

* Re: How can I make emacs open next directory in same window?
@ 2008-08-26  5:03       ` cnb
From: cnb @ 2008-08-26  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

also:

@ 2008-08-26  7:49 cnb
From: cnb @ 2008-08-26  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How can I make emacs open next directory in same window when I use the
mouse? Let's say I have 2 split windows and then I have the
directories open in one and a program ion the tiher. now if click the
folders they open in the program-window instead of the same window.

* Re: How can I make emacs open next directory in same window?
@ 2008-08-26 10:19 ` Rupert Swarbrick
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2008-08-26 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

cnb <circularfunc@yahoo.se> writes:

> How can I make emacs open next directory in same window when I use the
> mouse? Let's say I have 2 split windows and then I have the
> directories open in one and a program ion the tiher. now if click the
> folders they open in the program-window instead of the same window.

Er, both I and others replied to your post a few days ago, which was
itemized into 3 sections.

My reply to your first section answered this question then. Since your
question hasn't changed, neither has the answer.

Rupert

P.S. It's somewhat more polite to sign with your name or at least a
screen handle, rather than just throwing a demand for attention/help
into the ether.

@ 2008-08-26 15:24 ` Arnaldo Mandel
From: Arnaldo Mandel @ 2008-08-26 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

cnb wrote (on Aug 26, 2008):
 > How can I make emacs open next directory in same window when I use the
 > mouse? Let's say I have 2 split windows and then I have the
 > directories open in one and a program ion the tiher. now if click the
 > folders they open in the program-window instead of the same window.

This works, you don't even need to point exactly at the filename:

(defun mouse-find-file (click)
  "Inspect the file the mouse is pointing at."
  (interactive "@e")
  (mouse-set-point click)
  (find-file (dired-get-filename)))

I bind it like this:

(define-key dired-mode-map [mouse-2] 'mouse-find-file)

am

--
Arnaldo Mandel
am@ime.usp.br

* Re: How can I make emacs open next directory in same window?
@ 2008-08-27 12:10   ` Bernardo Bacic
From: Bernardo Bacic @ 2008-08-27 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> How can I make emacs open next directory in same window when I use the
> mouse? Let's say I have 2 split windows and then I have the
> directories open in one and a program ion the tiher. now if click the
> folders they open in the program-window instead of the same window.
this is not answering your question but from what you describe i'm under
impression you may be interested in trying speedbar mode

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SpeedBar

* Re: How can I make emacs open next directory in same window?
@ 2008-08-28 17:56       ` giglio robbo' d'acciaio
From: giglio robbo' d'acciaio @ 2008-08-28 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:

>>> C-x +
>>> balance-windows
>>>
>>> -ap
>>
>> thanks, correction M-x not C-x though :)
>>

> The command 'balance-window' is bound to 'C-x +', at least this side :)

I think that the OP read C-x + balance-windows as a single command.
Indeed is “C-x +” /or/ “M-x balance-windows”.
--
      Daniele Giglio      Dona i tuoi cicli di clock alla ricerca!
      email in ROT13      http://boinc.berkeley.edu/