all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 23 & Debian
@ 2009-06-25 16:44 Ben Badgley
       [not found] ` <mailman.1254.1245950536.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ben Badgley @ 2009-06-25 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

1. Where and how may a person upgrade to version 23 for Debian?

I'm a simple 'go grab a .deb and install it' sort at this point,
although am getting better with using the console. So, please avoid
saying cvs or git, subversion. Have a friend coming over for the weekend
who may better explain that voodoo to me

2. Why did the Debian Emacs release come over as a bit hindered?

Noticed this on the Emacs Wiki threads about Emacs on Debian. It
couldn't sort out what was where, or its version. There was some code to
attempt correcting it posted as well.

3. And will future Debian releases of Emacs be so?

Hope not on this end.

* Re: emacs 23 & Debian
@ 2009-06-25 20:38 Benjamin Badgley
From: Benjamin Badgley @ 2009-06-25 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'll paraphrase a bit.

Nurullah Akkaya:

Have the following:

build-essential
xorg-dev
libgtk2.0-dev
libjpg-dev
libgif-dev
libtiff-dev

Got all the things I need to have.

Richard Riley:

I have been through this.

The bottom line for me was to dump debian emacs and follow the simple
enough instructions available from Google to get from cvs and
compile. It really is not that difficult.

Both: 1. Dump the Debian Emacs. 2. Do the cvs thing, ./configure, make, make
install.  "It's easy. :-)"

Alrighty then, ... :-)

I may wind up doing just that over the weekend. Looked up cvs on google just a
few moments ago. Presently, on my mother's Windows Vista system. Don't tell
her, I'm gradually converting it into a semi-*nix system.

Found something called Pharmacy for Gnome, which rocks because I use Gnome
as default WM on Debian. Although Xfce may soon replace it. And there is
even a Windows cvs client. Looks to be a snap to do given a broad scale
of comparrison.

--
Benjamin Badgley <mortecanine@peoplepc.com>

[parent not found: <mailman.1260.1245962363.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]