all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs local install?
@ 2013-02-20 21:13 juliewith
From: juliewith @ 2013-02-20 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I would like to install Emacs to my home directory on a remote system (RH
4.4) where I cannot install with root privileges. Is this possible? I want
24.2 available just for me through a terminal. I assume this takes
modification of the .configure file?

* Re: Emacs local install?
@ 2013-02-20 21:24 ` W. Greenhouse
From: W. Greenhouse @ 2013-02-20 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Julie,

juliewith <galaxybeinglambda-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I would like to install Emacs to my home directory on a remote system (RH
> 4.4) where I cannot install with root privileges. Is this possible? I want
> 24.2 available just for me through a terminal. I assume this takes
> modification of the .configure file?

Yes, this is possible.  You can use something like the following:

| ./configure --with-prefix="/home/myuser"

Hope this helps,
WGG

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: Emacs local install?
@ 2013-02-20 23:29   ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2013-02-20 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

wgreenhouse@riseup.net (W. Greenhouse)
writes:

>> I would like to install Emacs to my home directory on a remote system (RH
>> 4.4) where I cannot install with root privileges. Is this possible? I want
>> 24.2 available just for me through a terminal. I assume this takes
>> modification of the .configure file?
>
> Yes, this is possible.  You can use something like the following:
>
> | ./configure --with-prefix="/home/myuser"

That's --prefix="/home/myuser"

* Re: Emacs local install?
       [not found] <mailman.20466.1361394808.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-02-21 18:18 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2013-02-21 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

juliewith <galaxybeinglambda@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to install Emacs to my home directory on a remote system (RH
> 4.4) where I cannot install with root privileges. Is this possible?

Yes.  However, sometimes those remote systems' administrators would
prefer you asking them to install those software packages, instead of
having each user duplicating them.

But if you have the quota to do it in your home, the other answers tell
you how to do it.