all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Emacs and Lynx Browser
       [not found] <mailman.25829.1368604292.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-05-15 14:37 ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]   ` <mailman.25904.1368707682.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-05-15 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pascal c <pch.netz@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to use Lynx inside Emacs.

If you don't get it to work, consider the w3m Emacs module. It'll be
much more integrated into Emacs, and you configure it just like Emacs
(with Elisp).

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Emacs and Lynx Browser
@ 2013-05-16 12:34   ` Pascal c
       [not found]   ` <mailman.25904.1368707682.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pascal c @ 2013-05-16 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

With C-c o it's works fine.

2013/5/15 Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se>

> Pascal c <pch.netz@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I would like to use Lynx inside Emacs.
>
> If you don't get it to work, consider the w3m Emacs module. It'll be
> much more integrated into Emacs, and you configure it just like Emacs
> (with Elisp).

is w3m integrated by default into the latest emacs version or I should
download this package ?

--

@ 2013-05-16 12:41     ` Mark Skilbeck
From: Mark Skilbeck @ 2013-05-16 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal c; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

No, w3m is not installed by default. You can find it here:
  http://w3m.sourceforge.net/index.ja.html

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 02:34:32PM +0200, Pascal c wrote:
> With C-c o it's works fine.
>

> 2013/5/15 Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se>
>
> > Pascal c <pch.netz@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > I would like to use Lynx inside Emacs.
> >
> > If you don't get it to work, consider the w3m Emacs module. It'll be
> > much more integrated into Emacs, and you configure it just like Emacs
> > (with Elisp).
> >

> is w3m integrated by default into the latest emacs version or I should
> download this package ?

* Re: Emacs and Lynx Browser
@ 2013-05-16 12:54     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-05-16 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 02:34:32PM +0200, Pascal c wrote:
> With C-c o it's works fine.
>

> 2013/5/15 Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se>
>
> > Pascal c <pch.netz@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > I would like to use Lynx inside Emacs.
> >
> > If you don't get it to work, consider the w3m Emacs module. It'll be
> > much more integrated into Emacs, and you configure it just like Emacs
> > (with Elisp).
> >

> is w3m integrated by default into the latest emacs version or I should
> download this package ?

I believe you need w3m and emacs-w3m.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Emacs and Lynx Browser
       [not found]   ` <mailman.25904.1368707682.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-05-16 13:53     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-05-16 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pascal c <pch.netz@gmail.com> writes:

> Is w3m integrated by default into the latest Emacs version or I
> should download this package?

If you use Debian:

aptitude search w3m

You need w3m and w3m-el.

If you wish to configure (and extend) w3m, a lot of work has already
been done, so be sure to use Google first. Because it is so easy and
fast - just write a defun in ~/.emacs - people tend not to write fancy
blog posts about it, but it is there (on the web) nonetheless.

--

@ 2013-05-17  9:35       ` Jude DaShiell
       [not found]         ` <mailman.298.1369377779.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2013-05-17  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

better w3m-snapshot it's more up to date if you must use w3m.  For lynx
users w3m represents a serious learning curve.

On Thu, 16 May 2013, Suvayu Ali wrote:

> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 02:34:32PM +0200, Pascal c wrote:
> > With C-c o it's works fine.

> > > If you don't get it to work, consider the w3m Emacs module. It'll be
> > > much more integrated into Emacs, and you configure it just like Emacs
> > > (with Elisp).
> > >

> > is w3m integrated by default into the latest emacs version or I should
> > download this package ?
>
> I believe you need w3m and emacs-w3m.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
About to block another web browser version?  Ask yourself what Tim
Berners-lee would do.

* Re: Emacs and Lynx Browser
@ 2013-05-24  6:42         ` Pascal c
       [not found]         ` <mailman.298.1369377779.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pascal c @ 2013-05-24  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I have successfully installed w3m on windows 7 using a tutorial for BSD :
http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?p=99343

The integration into Emacs is really much better than with Lynx.
Thank you for you advices !

I'm starting to learn Emacs. It''s not easy but I can already feel how
intresting it is.

Cheers,

Pascal

2013/5/17 Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net>

> better w3m-snapshot it's more up to date if you must use w3m.  For lynx
> users w3m represents a serious learning curve.
>
> On Thu, 16 May 2013, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 02:34:32PM +0200, Pascal c wrote:
> > > With C-c o it's works fine.

> > > is w3m integrated by default into the latest emacs version or I should
> > > download this package ?
> >
> > I believe you need w3m and emacs-w3m.

> jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
> About to block another web browser version?  Ask yourself what Tim
> Berners-lee would do.

* Re: Emacs and Lynx Browser
       [not found]         ` <mailman.298.1369377779.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-05-24 19:47           ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]             ` <mailman.343.1369435210.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-05-24 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pascal c <pch.netz@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm starting to learn Emacs. It's not easy but I can already feel how
> intresting it is.

There are some great books for you to pick up. I read the 1988 manual
by Richard Stallman and also a modern book called "Learning GNU
Emacs". In many general-purpose GNU/Linux introductions, there are
chapters on Emacs, but those typically only cover what you already
know: cursor movements, filling paragraphs, splitting windows... That's
why getting "Emacs only" books is something I benefited from, a lot.

--

@ 2013-05-24 22:40             ` Florian v. Savigny
       [not found]             ` <mailman.343.1369435210.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Florian v. Savigny @ 2013-05-24 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

  > Pascal c <pch.netz@gmail.com> writes:
  >
  > > I'm starting to learn Emacs. It's not easy but I can already
  > > feel how intresting it is.

Good instinct. ;-) (No - I mean it.)

  > There are some great books for you to pick up. I read the 1988 manual
  > by Richard Stallman and also a modern book called "Learning GNU
  > Emacs".

You probably mean the green-white one published by O'Reilly? (By Debra
Whatshername, and a guy - maybe even Eric Raymond, originally?). That
was the one that got me hooked back in about 1998, so I would also
recommend it (a factor to consider, however, might be how new the
latest edition is. But then, even an outdated one might help a
lot.). Since then, Emacs has been the centre of practically everything
for me.

  > In many general-purpose GNU/Linux introductions, there are
  > chapters on Emacs, but those typically only cover what you already
  > know: cursor movements, filling paragraphs, splitting windows... That's
  > why getting "Emacs only" books is something I benefited from, a lot.

Interestingly, there are comparatively few Emacs books around, which
is surprising given the stellar respectability the program has earned,
and its versatility. (Compare that to the number of Perl books around
- it's striking, isn't it? I once took Damian Conway's "Perl Best
Practices" and started to apply them to Elisp, because much was
transferable.)

The nice thing about the O'Reilly book is that it does a modest amount
of advertising Emacs. I still remember one thing they kept mentioning:
That it was integration that made Emacs so interesting. This is still
true fifteen years later. The manual, as far as I know it, is
"dryer". Nevertheless, I would say it is also worth reading in
print. If you like to program, the Introduction into Emacs Lisp by
Robert Cha... (forgotten the rest) is also not bad.

Later, you discover so much well-done self-documentation and
-demonstration (C-h f, C-h F, C-h C-h, C-x C-e, C-j in the *scratch*
buffer, and edebug-defun) that reading becomes increasingly
unnecessary.

(Sorry if that was trivial for most. I just could not resist relating
the essence of my own experience. Over the years, Emacs has helped me
enormously in two very different jobs - translator and teacher -, and
that was because I could always tweak it to do what I wanted. It
allows you to do those simple things that you normally only imagine.)

Best,

Florian

* Re: Emacs and Lynx Browser
       [not found]             ` <mailman.343.1369435210.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-05-24 23:00               ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.361.1369466476.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-05-24 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

florian@fsavigny.de (Florian v. Savigny) writes:

> You probably mean the green-white one published by O'Reilly?

Yes.

> Interestingly, there are comparatively few Emacs books around, which
> is surprising given the stellar respectability the program has
> earned, and its versatility. (Compare that to the number of Perl
> books around - it's striking, isn't it?

It is *stupid*. When I applied to jobs as a programmer some time ago,
I always got the same moronic question, from people who knew nothing
of computers: "What programming languages do you know?" I tried to
answer that all programming is the same; what matters is your command
of *tools*. This never landed. And this imbalance in understanding is
reflected in the book market. I've never seen a book on irssi, on zsh,
on the man pages (groff etc.), and so on. But I've seen countless of
"OO Programming in Java". I don't get it; probably there is some
commercial thing behind it, as usual. But, instead of complaining, we
should start writing ourselves... DIY.

> The nice thing about the O'Reilly book is that it does a modest
> amount of advertising Emacs. I still remember one thing they kept
> mentioning: That it was integration that made Emacs so interesting.

Yes, but they don't mention two things: Gnus, and rmail. They don't
mention mail at all. That's such a huge part of everyday typing and
they "disintegrate" it without a blink of the eye. Otherwise, the book
is good, I agree.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
internet activity: http://home.student.uu.se/embe8573

* Re: Emacs books (was: Emacs and Lynx Browser)
@ 2013-05-25  7:21                 ` Florian v. Savigny
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.361.1369466476.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Florian v. Savigny @ 2013-05-25  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

  > Yes, but they don't mention two things: Gnus, and rmail. They don't
  > mention mail at all. That's such a huge part of everyday typing and
  > they "disintegrate" it without a blink of the eye.

Then they must have scrapped them in later editions - really, really
stupid, I could not agree more. In mine (the 2nd, maybe??), they
played an important role, and it was precisely the way I was able to
tweak rmail and mail which made Emacs so versatile for me. I still use
them (professionally), and still have no desire for anything more
modern.

Maybe a reason to try to get hold of an old edition.

Best,

Florian

@ 2013-05-25  9:32                   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-05-25  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

florian@fsavigny.de (Florian v. Savigny) writes:

> Then they must have scrapped them in later editions - really, really
> stupid, I could not agree more. In mine (the 2nd, maybe??), they
> played an important role, and it was precisely the way I was able to
> tweak rmail and mail which made Emacs so versatile for me. I still
> use them (professionally), and still have no desire for anything
> more modern.

I can't express how much rmail and Gnus increased my life quality. I
have eye problems, and I've always communicated a lot with emails, on
forums, and so on, and those mouse-based, GUI clients (not to mention
web interfaces) were killing me. The Emacs extensions, on the other
hands, were so much faster to use, and 100% configurable (dark, calm
themes; shortcuts to reduce typing and overhead time).

> Maybe a reason to try to get hold of an old edition.

Didn't know that, but will sure check it out.