all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* matching parenthesis and guillemets
@ 2013-06-13 12:34 henry atts
From: henry atts @ 2013-06-13 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In text-mode when typing guillemts to indicate direct speech I always
get this message about non matching parenthesis:

`No matching parenthesis found'

Yes, I could disable it with `blink-matching-paren' or set
`show-paren-mode' to nil. But because this affects emacs' global
behaviour this is not what I want.

Why in the first place does emacs think he has to tell me about matching
or not matching guillemets - they are no braquets actually.
And in fact emacs treats the guillemets the wrong way up, the above
message is displayed on the opening guillemet (») and not on a single
closing one («) with a missing match.

henry

--
web: http://literaturlatenight.de
jabberID: atting@jabber.at

* Re: matching parenthesis and guillemets
@ 2013-06-13 15:17 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-06-13 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> And in fact emacs treats the guillemets the wrong way up, the above
> message is displayed on the opening guillemet (») and not on a single
> closing one («) with a missing match.

Right.  Frenchmen disagree.  How 'bout doing the following:

   (modify-syntax-entry ?« ")»" (standard-syntax-table))
   (modify-syntax-entry ?» "(«" (standard-syntax-table))

Emacs should probably not take sides in this historic battle and just
give those chars a non-paren syntax by default.

* Re: matching parenthesis and guillemets
@ 2013-06-13 18:57   ` henry atts
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1598.1371151440.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: henry atts @ 2013-06-13 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> And in fact emacs treats the guillemets the wrong way up, the above
>> message is displayed on the opening guillemet (») and not on a single
>> closing one («) with a missing match.
>
> Right.  Frenchmen disagree.  How 'bout doing the following:
>
>    (modify-syntax-entry ?« ")»" (standard-syntax-table))
>    (modify-syntax-entry ?» "(«" (standard-syntax-table))

Great! Works fine.

> Emacs should probably not take sides in this historic battle and just
> give those chars a non-paren syntax by default.

+1

>         Stefan

Thanks,
henry

--

@ 2013-06-13 19:23   ` Didier Verna
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1598.1371151440.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Didier Verna @ 2013-06-13 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> Emacs should probably not take sides in this historic battle and just
> give those chars a non-paren syntax by default.

  Or provide a french-spacing option that would take care of this,
  sentence-end-double-space, colon-double-space and whatnot.

--
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Lisp, Jazz, Aïkido: http://www.didierverna.info

@ 2013-06-13 21:11     ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2013-06-13 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Didier Verna <didier@didierverna.net> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>
>> Emacs should probably not take sides in this historic battle and just
>> give those chars a non-paren syntax by default.
>
>   Or provide a french-spacing option that would take care of this,
>   sentence-end-double-space, colon-double-space and whatnot.

And preferably, by detecting whether the text before is in French or in
English. (And similarly for other languages and typographical rules).

You can take the lisper out of the lisp job, but you can't take the lisp out
of the lisper (; -- antifuchs