all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* movies
@ 2013-12-03  2:15 Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-12-03  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Just saw "Jobs" about Steve Jobs and Apple. Funny thing
is, I knew the entire movie without having seen
it. There is another movie, "Pirates of Silicon
Valley", which tells the same story only it is better
because it is about Bill Gates and Micro$oft as
well. Now that Jobs is dead I have a harder time
mobilizing my dislike for him personally but I so
dislike everything Apple: Finder and the mouse, the
iPod, the emphasis of coolness, "lifestyle", and
consumption - I think Apple is much worse than
Windows. Windows is like a overweight kid (hard to be
mad at for long), Apple is like some sinister aunt that
won't stop making a fuss about some thing that you know
doesn't matter one bit. Anyway this is not what I
intended to write. Back to movies. There is also a
movie about Kevin Mitnick ("Takedown" or "Operation
Takedown"). I suspect that movie to be totally
fictitious apart from the characters, but who cares,
it's great. But the coolest computer scene in any movie
is in "Terminator 2", when the kid hacks an ATM machine
with an Atari (!), and then goes to the arcade. Ha ha
ha!  Straight gangsta. I have yet to catch the movie on
Assange. Why isn't there a movie on RMS, GNU, and
Emacs? I'd watch it.

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: movies
@ 2013-12-03  2:55 ` Rustom Mody
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Rustom Mody @ 2013-12-03  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:45:25 AM UTC+5:30, Emanuel Berg wrote:

> Why isn't there a movie on RMS, GNU, and Emacs?
> I'd watch it.

About a month ago I shared a screenshot that someone had captured showing
that when one googled for emacs, there was a sponsored ad for vi.

And your response was:

> Ha ha, who cares, no one clicks ads anyway. What do you
> think this is, the 90s? Hey, let's trade banners and
> create web rings :) I'll even add a rotating skull, and
> a burning barrel!

My impression is that this is the overwhelming majority view in this world:
PR does not matter.

IOW You want it both ways:

1. Our PR is not good enough for movie makers to be interested in us
2. PR does not matter

Let me give a martial arts analogy:
If you only 'mirror' (is that the word?) the opponent, you cannot win because he has first-mover advantage
If you only calculate your own moves and techniques and ignore the opponent, you cant win because you will be surprised.

* Re: movies
@ 2013-12-03  8:46 ` Δημήτριος Παπαδάκης
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Δημήτριος Παπαδάκης @ 2013-12-03  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 3, 2013, at 4:15 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:

> Why isn't there a movie on RMS, GNU, and
> Emacs? I'd watch it.

Well there are some documentaries called Revolution OS and The
Code:Linux. The first is newer and easier to buy retail, the other is
older and I remember that it was made for swedish television so it
might not be easy to track it.

* Re: movies
@ 2013-12-03 12:19 ` Jambunathan K
       [not found] ` <mailman.7970.1386069744.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.7991.1386083515.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-12-03 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Why isn't there a movie on RMS, GNU, and Emacs? I'd watch it.

Not a movie, but a documentary film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_os

* Timer questions
@ 2013-12-03 18:55   ` Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2013-12-03 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On occasion (probably a few times a week) I get an error like the following:

Debugger entered--returning value: (0 0 500000 0)
  time-add((0 0 500000 0) (0 0 0 0))
  timer-relative-time((21149 10968 408673 700000) 0.5 0 nil)
  timer-inc-time([t 21149 10968 408673 0.5 blink-cursor-timer-function nil nil 700000] 0.5 0)
  timer-event-handler([t 21149 10968 408673 0.5 blink-cursor-timer-function nil nil 700000])

Here are some things that I have found:
* Ultimately this comes from the value of blink-cursor-timer in frame.el.
* timer-list (admittedly, checked after the above error) has only one timer, the one for displaying time.
* On a fresh emacs no timer for blink-cursor-timer-function is set, and blink-cursor-timer is nil.
* The last call, (time-add '(0 0 500000 0) '(0 0 0 0)), does /not/ signal an error.

Does anyone know why I might be getting this? (Given the last point, it seems especially mysterious to me.)

Thanks.

,Douglas
Douglas Lewan
Shubert Ticketing
(201) 489-8600 ext 224

Statistics: The science of figuring out exactly how wrong you probably are.

* Re: movies
@ 2013-12-03 21:13   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-12-03 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

>> Why isn't there a movie on RMS, GNU, and Emacs?  I'd
>> watch it.
>
> About a month ago I shared a screenshot that someone
> had captured showing that when one googled for emacs,
> there was a sponsored ad for vi.
>
> And your response was:
>
>> Ha ha, who cares, no one clicks ads anyway. What do
>> you think this is, the 90s? Hey, let's trade banners
>> and create web rings :) I'll even add a rotating
>> skull, and a burning barrel!

Ha ha, yes that sounds like me.

> 2. PR does not matter

I think that PR matters but I think it is to hazardous
to put too much effort on, because it isn't sure it
will work to any extent that matters. A that point, you
will have lost a lot of time. Personally, I'm not into
it either, that is, I don't find it interesting.

But as for Apple, Jobs was obsessed with PR so what you
say seems to be true, as there are two movies on him,
and probably lots of other material as well (books,
documentaries - but I think "we" have some of that,
too).

> Let me give a martial arts analogy: If you only
> mirror' (is that the word?) the opponent, you cannot
> win because he has first-mover advantage If you only
> calculate your own moves and techniques and ignore
> the opponent, you cant win because you will be
> surprised.

Yes, true.

--

@ 2013-12-03 21:18   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-12-03 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Why isn't there a movie on RMS, GNU, and Emacs? I'd
>> watch it.
>
> Not a movie, but a documentary film.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_os

Yes, old one. I remember that.

"You can call Linux GNU/Linux as in 'Debian GNU/Linux',
because Debian is a distribution of Linux. But to call
Linux *in general* GNU/Linux is just ridiculous."

From a technical perspective, and Linus Torvalds (not a
nice guy at all by the way) has that perspective if
anyone does, this is 100% correct.

Also, I remember:

"We tried to get some Russian army guys into Linux. 'I
don't think that will work here', they said. 'It sounds
too much like Communism.'" :)

(Both pseudo-quotes. 10 years since I watched it or
so.)

--

@ 2013-12-03 21:22   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-12-03 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

... <dp@dppd.eu> writes:

>> Why isn't there a movie on RMS, GNU, and Emacs? I'd
>> watch it.
>
> Well there are some documentaries called Revolution
> OS and The Code:Linux. The first is newer and easier
> to buy retail, the other is older and I remember that
> it was made for swedish television so it might not be
> easy to track it.

Yes, I remember Revolution OS (check out my previous
post). The other one is unfamiliar to me, but it is on
TPB [1] with five seeders so I'll try to get it. It is also
on YT [2].

[1] http://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/3955602/The_code_linux
[2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvlL0JpiqqQ