all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to set fonts for a language
@ 2013-12-26 21:46 François Patte
       [not found] ` <mailman.10486.1388116750.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: François Patte @ 2013-12-26 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bonjour,

I use emacs to publish multilingual texts with xelatex. I have
customized some keys in order to switch from a script to another one,
like this:

(global-set-key [f12]
  (lambda () (interactive) (set-input-method "bengali-itrans")))

So far, it works perfectly, emacs uses some Bengali fonts installed on
debian sid.

I want now to use some special otf/ttf fonts in association with this
switch: when I press f12 key, I want that emacs use these fonts for
displaying the text. Is that possible and how.

Thanks for any help.
--
François Patte
Université Paris Descartes

* Re: how to set fonts for a language
@ 2013-12-27  3:57 ` Jambunathan K
       [not found] ` <mailman.10486.1388116750.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-12-27  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François Patte; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

This is what I have for Tamil.  C-\ will toggle between English and
Tamil for me.  Script in your case will be 'bengali.

    (set-face-font 'default "fontset-default")
    (set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'tamil "Lohit Tamil")

    (set-language-environment "Tamil")
    (add-hook 'set-language-environment-hook
              (lambda nil
                (when (equal current-language-environment "Tamil")
                  (setq default-input-method "tamil-itrans"))))

kjambunathan@debian-6:~$ fc-list :lang=ta
    TSCu_Paranar:style=Bold
    TSCu_Times:style=Normal
    TAMu_Maduram:style=Normal
    FreeSerif:style=Medium,Mittel,µεσαία,Normal,Gemiddeld,navadno
    TSCu_Comic:style=Normal
    TAMu_Kadambri:style=Regular
    TAMu_Kalyani:style=Regular
    Lohit Tamil:style=Regular
    unifont:style=Medium
    TSCu_Paranar:style=Regular

kjambunathan@debian-6:~$ dpkg -l | grep indic
    ii ttf-indic-fonts 1:0.5.11 Metapackage for free Indian language fonts

@ 2013-12-27 12:33   ` François Patte
From: François Patte @ 2013-12-27 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Le 27/12/2013 04:57, Jambunathan K a écrit :

> This is what I have for Tamil.  C-\ will toggle between English and
> Tamil for me.  Script in your case will be 'bengali.
>
>     (set-face-font 'default "fontset-default")
>     (set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'tamil "Lohit Tamil")
>
>     (set-language-environment "Tamil")
>     (add-hook 'set-language-environment-hook
>               (lambda nil
>                 (when (equal current-language-environment "Tamil")
>                   (setq default-input-method "tamil-itrans"))))

Thank you for this, it works for me.

BTW (as you use Tamil): do you some fonts for grantha? I found one
(e-grantamil) but the character codes use bengali unicode.... Do you
know if grantha has been forgotten by the unicode consortium?

Thanks

--

@ 2013-12-27 13:42     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-12-27 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François Patte; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

François Patte <francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr> writes:

> BTW (as you use Tamil): do you some fonts for grantha?

Grantha is mostly used by scholars.  I am a layman and I know nothing
about it.  (However, I have seen the script used in real life)

> I found one (e-grantamil) but the character codes use bengali
> unicode....

> Do you know if grantha has been forgotten by the unicode consortium?

If you follow this link the latest version is at 6.3.0

    http://www.unicode.org/versions/latest/

In 7.0 version, I do see GRANTHA letters in the 11300-11374 range.

   http://www.unicode.org/Public/7.0.0/ucd/UnicodeData-7.0.0d14.txt

Btw, the yet-to-be-released Emacs-24.4 uses codepoints from the
following document (as on 2012.04.07)

   http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UnicodeData.txt

So Emacs will not definitely know GRANTHA codes by name...

* Re: how to set fonts for a language
@ 2013-12-27 13:47       ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-12-27 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François Patte; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Btw, the yet-to-be-released Emacs-24.4 uses codepoints from the
> following document (as on 2012.04.07)
>
>    http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UnicodeData.txt
>
> So Emacs will not definitely know GRANTHA codes by name...

Out of curiosity, if I compare the above date with the dates here

    http://www.unicode.org/history/publicationdates.html

I would assume that (even) the latest Emacs is at 6.1.0 levels.

* Re: how to set fonts for a language
@ 2013-12-27 15:17         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-12-27 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 19:17:14 +0530
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Btw, the yet-to-be-released Emacs-24.4 uses codepoints from the
> > following document (as on 2012.04.07)
> >
> >    http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UnicodeData.txt
> >
> > So Emacs will not definitely know GRANTHA codes by name...
>
> Out of curiosity, if I compare the above date with the dates here
>
>     http://www.unicode.org/history/publicationdates.html
>
> I would assume that (even) the latest Emacs is at 6.1.0 levels.

If by "latest Emacs" you mean Emacs 24.3, then no, it uses Unicode
database from Unicode 6.2, the latest Unicode version at the time 24.3
was released.