all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 24.3.50.1 and multi-term
@ 2014-02-08 22:00 henry atting
From: henry atting @ 2014-02-08 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Because of changes in advice.el multi-term.el does not work anymore.
These changes surely mark the emerge into a bright future. But I hate
them because I can no longer use my beloved multi-term.
Unfortunately the development of multi-term is abandoned.

What I am missing above all is the possibility to open a term in a
dedicated window and close it easily.

* Re: emacs 24.3.50.1 and multi-term
@ 2014-02-08 22:06 ` Jai Dayal
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-02-08 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: henry atting; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

From looking at multi-term.el's description, I'm a bit lost as to what it
does. I routinely have multiple ansi-shells running at any given time, all
inside one emacs instance.

@ 2014-02-09  0:48 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found] ` <mailman.14282.1391907020.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.14255.1391897243.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-02-09  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Because of changes in advice.el multi-term.el does not work anymore.

When bumping into a problem while running development code, don't go
complain to the user's mailing list.  Instead, file a bug report.

@ 2014-02-09  7:17   ` henry atting
From: henry atting @ 2014-02-09  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Because of changes in advice.el multi-term.el does not work anymore.
>
> When bumping into a problem while running development code, don't go
> complain to the user's mailing list.  Instead, file a bug report.

But in this case that is not possible. If I would do so the emacs
developers would reject it because multi-term is not part of emacs, it
obviously is not a emacs but a multi-term problem. And multi-term is
orphaned...

@ 2014-02-09  7:30   ` henry atting
From: henry atting @ 2014-02-09  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>From looking at multi-term.el's description, I'm a bit lost as to what
>it does. I routinely have multiple ansi-shells running at any given
>time, all inside one emacs instance.

With multi-term I could open a term in another window in the same
directory of the current buffer. Okay, that's not singular.
But then I could quit it without trace. When I quit a `normal' emacs
term always a buffer remains (``Process terminal finished'') which I
have to kill intentionally.

* Re: emacs 24.3.50.1 and multi-term
@ 2014-02-09 10:06     ` henry atting
From: henry atting @ 2014-02-09 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> Because of changes in advice.el multi-term.el does not work anymore.
>>
>> When bumping into a problem while running development code, don't go
>> complain to the user's mailing list.  Instead, file a bug report.
>
> But in this case that is not possible. If I would do so the emacs
> developers would reject it because multi-term is not part of emacs, it
> obviously is not a emacs but a multi-term problem. And multi-term is
> orphaned...

The according function (ad-advised-definition-p) was deleted on
purpose[1], so a bug report would be no use.

----

[1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.diffs/123848

* Re: emacs 24.3.50.1 and multi-term
@ 2014-02-09 17:40     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-02-09 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> But in this case that is not possible.  If I would do so the Emacs
> developers would reject it because multi-term is not part of Emacs, it
> obviously is not an Emacs but a multi-term problem.

Backward incompatibilities can be bugs as well.