all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mouse-movement getting in the way
@ 2014-08-06  7:44 Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2014-08-06  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I am running Emacs 24.3.1 on GNU/Linux with xmonad as my window manager. I have 3 monitors.

I try to avoid using the mouse, but sometimes I need to use it in other applications. When I move the mouse from one of my other screens into the screen running emacs, the first command I type will always fail with a minibuffer error e.g.

  C-c <mouse-movement> is undefined

This is rather frustrating. I was hoping that somebody on this list could help me to configure emacs to avoid taking the mouse-movement input as part of a key command.

My configuration is largely available here if it is relevant: https://github.com/fommil/unix

Best regards,
Sam

* Re: mouse-movement getting in the way
@ 2014-08-06 21:44 ` Emanuel Berg
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-08-06 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:

> I am running Emacs 24.3.1 on GNU/Linux with xmonad as
> my window manager. I have 3 monitors.
>
> I try to avoid using the mouse

Good :)

(But remember the words of Master Yoda: "Do, or do not.
There is no try.")

> but sometimes I need to use it in other applications.

Perhaps you can setup a shortcut in Emacs that will
take you to that other window/application?

If that other application is in X, you can use
xbindkeys to get a shortcut to get back from X (or from
"non-Emacs X", if you use Emacs in X as well). That
will work for all applications running in X.

I don't know about xmonad but I know that with Openbox
you can use wmctrl, and you can find a couple of
examples here [1].

Check out the manpages for xbindkeys and wmctrl for
more.

> When I move the mouse from one of my other screens
> into the screen running emacs, the first command I
> type will always fail with a minibuffer error e.g.
>
>   C-c <mouse-movement> is undefined

Will this happen for *any* command? That sounds like a
bug. You can report it with `report-emacs-bug'. If you
don't use Emacs for mails you can either start with
that, which will enhance your game considerably in an
instant, or if you don't want to do that I'm sure there
is another way to report bugs - either someone on this
list will tell you, or you could search the Emacs
homepage for what to do. Perhaps using the information
you get with report-emacs-bug and just yank (paste) it
into an email will do - only like I said, I wouldn't
recommend that but instead that you use Emacs (perhaps
you already do that, I don't know).

Good luck!

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/.zsh/wm

--
underground experts united

* Re: mouse-movement getting in the way
@ 2014-08-07  0:03 ` Robert Thorpe
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6747.1407408334.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.6726.1407369856.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2014-08-07  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Sam Halliday; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:

>   C-c <mouse-movement> is undefined
>
> This is rather frustrating. I was hoping that somebody on this list could help me to configure emacs to avoid taking the mouse-movement input as part of a key command.
>
> My configuration is largely available here if it is relevant: https://github.com/fommil/unix

Does it happen with emacs -q ?  If not then it's a configuration
problem.  Try bisecting your init file.

BR,
Robert Thorpe

* Re: mouse-movement getting in the way
@ 2014-08-07 10:43   ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6747.1407408334.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-08-07 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Does it happen with emacs -q ?  If not then it's a configuration
> problem.  Try bisecting your init file.

Good recommendation, but the conclusion is not necessarily right:
instead of a config problem, it may also be an Emacs bug (triggered
by the specific configuration).

@ 2014-08-07 21:03     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-08-07 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Does it happen with emacs -q ? If not then it's a
>> configuration problem. Try bisecting your init file.
>
> Good recommendation, but the conclusion is not
> necessarily right: instead of a config problem, it
> may also be an Emacs bug (triggered by the specific
> configuration).

All the bugs I've found (in Emacs and tmux) - and they
have been but a few, but still - I have found when I
have been using the software in a "creative" way. In
general, when you look for bugs it is not a bad idea to
test extreme values and wierd border cases. Those bugs
can be much harder to find because the "masses" don't
use the software that way, so they don't find those
bugs.

--

@ 2014-08-08 14:42 ` Hans BKK
       [not found] ` <mailman.6726.1407369856.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Hans BKK @ 2014-08-08 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Why are you moving the mouse into that screen? Use your DE/wm's keyboard shortcuts to switch focus.

> Check out the manpages for xbindkeys and wmctrl for more.

Also xdotools and autohotkeys

@ 2014-08-08 16:44   ` Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2014-08-08 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday, 7 August 2014 01:03:57 UTC+1, Robert Thorpe  wrote:
> Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:
> >   C-c <mouse-movement> is undefined
> > My configuration is largely available here if it is relevant: https://github.com/fommil/unix
>
> Try bisecting your init file.

Thanks Robert, I hadn't considered that it was a plugin causing the problem.

I have narrowed the problem down to

  (mouse-avoidance-mode 'banish)

combined with ENSIME mode (which is a project I contribute to, eek!).

I've filed a bug report on the ENSIME side here:

  https://github.com/ensime/ensime-server/issues/545

including a minimial (well, simple) `.emacs` that reproduces a problem.

Are any of the authors of `mouse-avoidance-mode` around? Is there anything obvious to look for in ENSIME or does this look like a bug on both sides?

* Re: mouse-movement getting in the way
@ 2014-08-08 17:48   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-08-08 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hans BKK <hansbkk@gmail.com> writes:

>> Check out the manpages for xbindkeys and wmctrl for
>> more.
>
> Also xdotools and autohotkeys

What about xmacro?

wmctrl should be by far the easiest, if it plays with
xmonad, which I'd be very surprised if it didn't.
xdotools is good as well though.

There is no autohotkeys save for Windowz - probably you
mean autokey.

--

@ 2014-08-19  3:12     ` Hans BKK
From: Hans BKK @ 2014-08-19  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, August 8, 2014 1:48:06 PM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> What about xmacro?

Thanks, hadn't come across that

> wmctrl should be by far the easiest, if it plays with xmonad, which I'd be very surprised if it didn't.

Have to recompile after adding XMonad.Hooks.EwmhDesktops to xmonad.hs

> There is no autohotkeys save for Windowz - probably you mean autokey.

Yes, had thought IronAHK'd come further along, apparently only under wine

* Re: mouse-movement getting in the way
@ 2014-08-19 23:03       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-08-19 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hans BKK <hansbkk@gmail.com> writes:

>> What about xmacro?
>
> Thanks, hadn't come across that

Well, that was semi-ironical as you seemed to output
the complete list to the poor OP. To do xmacroplay is
much more work and probably less reliable than both
wmctrl and xdotool.

Here is an example I wrote, how to use xdotool and
xmacroplay, actually I see even wmctrl is mentioned:

http://linux.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.os.linux.misc/2014-04/msg00014.html

--
underground experts united