all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* PDF breaks emacs (PDF-Tools)
@ 2015-02-04 11:44 Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2015-02-04 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs list; +Cc: peter.mao

I've been giving emacs PDF-Tools (very poorly documented here: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PdfTools) a try and have been thoroughly impressed. For the majority of my needs I'm even willing to switch from the system pdf viewer (the excellent Okular) to this one. But then, just when life is getting rosy, my faith is completely undermined by a PDF that not only refuses to open, but causes all of emacs to crash terribly. The daring user of PDF-Tools can try such a file here: http://orys.us/breaksemacspdf

I have not identified what causes the problem; other PDFs with image components or side-runners don't seem to be problematic, nor are PDFs of hundreds (even thousands) of pages in length. But if emacs crashes here, I'm not sure where else it may fail. Any suggestions? Otherwise, be warned.

Note: by "crash" I mean, utterly and indefinitely freezes without warning or complaint.

- Tory