all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#19798: 24.4; eww-mode error in process sentinel 'Invalid date' when receiving a valid date
@ 2015-02-07  4:49 Matthew Carter
From: Matthew Carter @ 2015-02-07  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 19798

When running eww-mode and visiting a site using a cookie expiration date
set to "Mon, 06 Mar 2130 20:55:03 GMT" eww-mode will fail to load
subsequent URLs on the domain (in this case http://ahungry.com) and
instead simply print the following message in the echo area:

error in process sentinel: Invalid date: Mon, 06 Mar 2130 20:55:03 GMT

According to Wikipedia and other sources I can find online regarding the
HTTP cookie expires field, this date format is valid
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie) and should not be causing
an error in the process sentinel (and even if some site sent an invalid
date, I don't think it should halt further site interaction, but either
ignore the invalid date, or ignore the cookie).

Steps to reproduce under emacs -Q:

eww
ahungry.com
RET
TAB
TAB
RET

You'll then see the error pop up (instead of visiting the Blog link on
the site).

--
Matthew Carter (m@ahungry.com)
http://ahungry.com

* bug#19799: Tangentally related to eww-mode Invalid Date bug just filed
@ 2015-02-08 19:28 Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2015-02-08 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Carter; +Cc: 19799

> Would it be better to rework #'date-to-time to handle future dates in a
> more graceful manner on 32-bit machines, or to have eww-mode ignore
> triggers that cause it to parse dates it cannot handle?

There is a variant of date-to-time that refuses to throw an error on
out-of-range dates, namely safe-date-to-time.  But I'm still puzzled as to why
you're getting this error.  date-to-time is supposed to throw a "Specified time
is not representable" for out-of-range dates, but for you it's throwing some
other error.  Can you debug why that is happening?

What happens when you run the following in your *scratch* buffer?

(date-to-time "Mon, 06 Mar 2130 20:55:03 GMT")

On my platform (Fedora 21 x86) if I type C-j after that, the debugger is entered
with this backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error . "Specified time is not representable")
   signal(error "Specified time is not representable")
   apply(signal (error "Specified time is not representable"))
   (if (equal err overflow-error) (apply (quote signal) err) (condition-case err$
   (let ((overflow-error (quote (error "Specified time is not representable"))))$
   (condition-case err (apply (quote encode-time) (parse-time-string date)) (err$
   date-to-time("Mon, 06 Mar 2130 20:55:03 GMT")

What happens on your platform?

Also, what is your platform?  What does (emacs-version) return, for starters?