all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* reload customization
@ 2015-02-11 16:30 Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2015-02-11 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In my init file I have

  (defun reload () "Reloads .emacs interactively."
    (interactive)
    (load "~/.emacs"))

The problem is that I also have

  (split-window-horizontally)

As things now stand, a reload splits current window so that I end up
with three. I'd like to have reload instead preserve the two window
split.

* Re: reload customization
@ 2015-02-11 16:43 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2015-02-11 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <8761b8z9zu.fsf@engels.histomat.net>,
 Haines Brown <haines@engels.histomat.net> wrote:

> In my init file I have
>
>   (defun reload () "Reloads .emacs interactively."
>     (interactive)
>     (load "~/.emacs"))
>
> The problem is that I also have
>
>   (split-window-horizontally)
>
> As things now stand, a reload splits current window so that I end up
> with three. I'd like to have reload instead preserve the two window
> split.

Wrap it with save-window-excursion:

(save-window-excursion
  (load "~/.emacs"))

You should read the caveats in

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Window-Configur
ations.html

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: reload customization
@ 2015-02-11 17:46   ` Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2015-02-11 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks, Barry, that was the answer I needed.

In case anyone's following this, there was a typo in the URL you
provided. With spelling of Configurations corrected and pehaps a more
specific location, it would be:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Window-Configurations.html#Window-Configurations

* Re: reload customization
@ 2015-02-11 22:28     ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2015-02-11 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <87h9us1gu3.fsf@engels.histomat.net>,
 Haines Brown <haines@engels.histomat.net> wrote:

> Thanks, Barry, that was the answer I needed.
>
> In case anyone's following this, there was a typo in the URL you
> provided. With spelling of Configurations corrected and pehaps a more
> specific location, it would be:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Window-Configuration
> s.html#Window-Configurations

There was no typo when I posted it. Looks like the news->mail gateway
added a newline when it wrapped it. AFAIK, MT-NW doesn't do this when
sending, because I've never had a problem with long URLs before.

--

@ 2015-02-12 11:35 ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2015-02-12 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Haines Brown; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs