all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Special Characters
@ 2015-08-11  1:37 Ian Baylis
From: Ian Baylis @ 2015-08-11  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have a file that has special characters in it.   When I open the file in Emacs an ' is represented like:
\200\231 or just \231

What type of characters are they and is there a list of those characters I can use as reference for the future.

Thank you

* Re: Special Characters
@ 2015-08-11  2:31 ` Emanuel Berg
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-08-11  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ian Baylis <ibay0918@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a file that has special characters in it.
> When I open the file in Emacs an ' is represented
> like: \200\231 or just \231
>
> What type of characters are they and is there a list
> of those characters I can use as reference for
> the future.

Move point, then use `describe-char' - I have

    (defalias 'what-char 'describe-char)

(OT: should that be sharp-quoted as well?)

I think "what-char" is neat as it is faster to type
and consistent with `what-face' etc.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Special Characters
@ 2015-08-11  2:33   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-08-11  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Ian Baylis <ibay0918@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I have a file that has special characters in it.
>> When I open the file in Emacs an ' is represented
>> like: \200\231 or just \231 What type of characters
>> are they and is there a list of those characters
>> I can use as reference for the future.
>
> Move point, then use `describe-char' - I have
>
>     (defalias 'what-char 'describe-char)
>
> (OT: should that be sharp-quoted as well?)
>
> I think "what-char" is neat as it is faster to type
> and consistent with `what-face' etc.

    (defun what-face (pos)
      (interactive "d")
      (let*((point (point))
            (face (or (get-char-property point 'face)
                      (get-char-property point 'read-cf-name) )))
        (if face (message " Face: %s" face)
          (message " No face at %d." pos) )))

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Special Characters
@ 2015-08-11  2:41 ` Ian Zimmerman
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2015-08-11  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-08-10 18:37 -0700, Ian Baylis wrote:

> I have a file that has special characters in it.  When I open the file
> in Emacs an ' is represented like: \200\231 or just \231
>
> What type of characters are they and is there a list of those
> characters I can use as reference for the future.

https://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars/

http://www.eki.ee/letter/

* Re: Special Characters
@ 2015-08-11  2:46 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.8111.1439261223.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-08-11  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 18:37:34 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Ian Baylis <ibay0918@gmail.com>
>
> I have a file that has special characters in it.   When I open the file in Emacs an ' is represented like:
> \200\231 or just \231
>
> What type of characters are they and is there a list of those characters I can use as reference for the future.

Those are not necessarily "special".  They could be normal characters
that Emacs failed to decode, because other parts of the file were
encoded inconsistently, or because it used the locale-specific
defaults, and the file didn't tell it needs to be decoded differently.

Are you sure this is not a UTF-8 encoded file?  What happens if you
visit it with "C-x RET c utf-8 RET C-x C-f FILE-NAME RET"?

* Re: Special Characters
       [not found] ` <mailman.8111.1439261223.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-08-11  2:57   ` Ian Baylis
From: Ian Baylis @ 2015-08-11  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I was told it was unicode, UTF-8 encoded, but the I noticed that \200\231 translated over to ' and not that strange c character.

* Re: Special Characters
@ 2015-08-11  3:04     ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2015-08-11  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 8:27:36 AM UTC+5:30, Ian Baylis wrote:
> I was told it was unicode, UTF-8 encoded, but the I noticed that \200\231 translated over to ' and not that strange c character.

I think what Eli is saying is that you may have been told but you may not have
told emacs (successfully).  Usually emacs guesses it ok; sometimes it needs a
bit of help.  Eli's command is to ensure that. So please try it and repost

* Re: Special Characters
@ 2015-08-11  3:11     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-08-11  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> (defun ...

Better (?) version:

(defun what-face (pos)
  (interactive "d")
  (let((face (or (get-char-property pos 'face)
                 (get-char-property pos 'read-cf-name) )))
    (message " Face: %s" (or face "(no face!)")) ))

Source:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/faces.el

--

@ 2015-08-11 16:42   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-08-11 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-08-11, at 04:31, Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

> Ian Baylis <ibay0918@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I have a file that has special characters in it.
>> When I open the file in Emacs an ' is represented
>> like: \200\231 or just \231
>>
>> What type of characters are they and is there a list
>> of those characters I can use as reference for
>> the future.
>
> Move point, then use `describe-char' - I have
>
>     (defalias 'what-char 'describe-char)
>
> (OT: should that be sharp-quoted as well?)
>
> I think "what-char" is neat as it is faster to type
> and consistent with `what-face' etc.

And why not just move point to that place and type `C-u C-x ='?  On my
keyboard, this is faster even than `M-x what-char RET'.

You're welcome;-)

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Special Characters
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.8111.1439261223.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-08-11 17:21 ` Yuri Khan
       [not found]   ` <CAF3G9oc3WPg32mS3Zi4FxTyk55TEu8k0gY6CKCwhqHb=oGC0qg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Yuri Khan @ 2015-08-11 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Baylis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 7:37 AM, Ian Baylis <ibay0918@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a file that has special characters in it.   When I open the file in Emacs an ' is represented like:
> \200\231 or just \231

The Unicode apostrophe ’ (U+2019 Right single quotation mark) is
encoded in UTF-8 as a sequence of three bytes, whose octal
representation is \342\200\231 (or hexadecimal E2 80 99).

If your Emacs incorrectly picks e.g. the ISO-8859-1 (aka Latin-1)
encoding for this file, you will see the letter â (U+00E2 Latin small
letter a with circumflex), followed by two codes \200 and \231,
because those do not correspond to printable characters in Latin-1.

In order to view the file as intended, you need to re-open that file
using the correct encoding (UTF-8). Eli has given you the command:

C-x RET c utf-8 RET C-x C-f FILE-NAME RET

Alternatively, if you already have a buffer visiting the file, you can
revert it using the correct encoding:

C-x RET r utf-8 RET (you might need to confirm the revert).

You then need to evaluate how often you use files in encodings other
than UTF-8. If rarely, you might want to set UTF-8 as your default
encoding.

* Re: Special Characters
@ 2015-08-12  2:49     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-08-12  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I think "what-char" is neat as it is faster to type
>> and consistent with `what-face' etc.
>
> And why not just move point to that place and type
> `C-u C-x ='? On my keyboard, this is faster even
> than `M-x what-char RET'.

It might be faster in some sense but that isn't
something I do every day and neither does the
Joe Emacs Hacker deeming from that bulky keystroke.

If I did use it often, I would assign a better
keystroke, but I don't so I'll stick with "what-char".

I like the idea of asking questions and having the
computer answer them. More people should do interfaces
like that. Here is a good example of what I mean:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/distance/

--

@ 2015-08-12  4:19     ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2015-08-12  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Baylis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 11:55 PM, Ian Baylis <ibay0918@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. Is there a list that contains all the octal
> representations of characters like \342\200\231?

If you’re interested, you might want to read a description of the
UTF-8 encoding, then browse the Unicode charts.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3629
http://www.unicode.org/charts/

However, I must ask: Why do you want to know? Are you going to
hand-decode files that come your way? Why not delegate that work to
computers?

There are many different character encodings. When people or software
do not agree on which one they use, misdecoding occurs. With some
experience, one can make an accurate guess at which encoding was used
originally, although this becomes less necessary as we migrate to
UTF-8.

PS: please don’t top-post.

> On Aug 11, 2015 1:22 PM, "Yuri Khan" <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 7:37 AM, Ian Baylis <ibay0918@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I have a file that has special characters in it.   When I open the file
>> > in Emacs an ' is represented like:
>> > \200\231 or just \231
>>
>> The Unicode apostrophe ’ (U+2019 Right single quotation mark) is
>> encoded in UTF-8 as a sequence of three bytes, whose octal
>> representation is \342\200\231 (or hexadecimal E2 80 99).
>>
>> If your Emacs incorrectly picks e.g. the ISO-8859-1 (aka Latin-1)
>> encoding for this file, you will see the letter â (U+00E2 Latin small
>> letter a with circumflex), followed by two codes \200 and \231,
>> because those do not correspond to printable characters in Latin-1.
>>
>> In order to view the file as intended, you need to re-open that file
>> using the correct encoding (UTF-8). Eli has given you the command:
>>
>> C-x RET c utf-8 RET C-x C-f FILE-NAME RET
>>
>> Alternatively, if you already have a buffer visiting the file, you can
>> revert it using the correct encoding:
>>
>> C-x RET r utf-8 RET (you might need to confirm the revert).
>>
>> You then need to evaluate how often you use files in encodings other
>> than UTF-8. If rarely, you might want to set UTF-8 as your default
>> encoding.

* Re: Special Characters
@ 2015-08-12  7:56       ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-08-12  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-08-12, at 04:49, Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>>> I think "what-char" is neat as it is faster to type
>>> and consistent with `what-face' etc.
>>
>> And why not just move point to that place and type
>> `C-u C-x ='? On my keyboard, this is faster even
>> than `M-x what-char RET'.
>
> It might be faster in some sense but that isn't
> something I do every day and neither does the
> Joe Emacs Hacker deeming from that bulky keystroke.

Joking aside, I do it often enough to remember the keychord.  And it's
not that bad - just two keys (counting C-x as one), with universal
argument if you want more detailed info.

> I like the idea of asking questions and having the
> computer answer them. More people should do interfaces

[Insert your favorite sci-fi reference joke here.]

> like that. Here is a good example of what I mean:
>
>     http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/distance/

Cute!  I can't find any use-case for me, unfortunately.

Best,

--

@ 2015-08-13  1:27         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-08-13  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Joking aside, I do it often enough to remember the
> keychord. And it's not that bad - just two keys
> (counting C-x as one), with universal argument if
> you want more detailed info.

It is not *very* hard/bad but I don't do it often
enough to be sure I will remember it one year from
now. Also, at least on my keyboard with my hands, the
key `=' isn't the easiest one to hit. ("C--", for some
reason called `C-_', is better.)

Perhaps I'll do a combination of "what-char" and
"what-face" with the universal argument as it works
with `what-cursor-position'.