all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* editing a file in a subversion controlled directory makes my emacs explode (almost)
@ 2015-10-27 12:49 Geert Vermeiren
       [not found] ` <mailman.1153.1445961578.7904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Geert Vermeiren @ 2015-10-27 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I ran into this problem:

When I open a file which is located in a subversion controlled directory (local working copy), emacs (24.5.1 on CentOs 6) seems to start doing a LOT of background stuff.
It eats up processor resources, effectively making the system very sluggish, and RAM, up to and beyond physical memory (of which my machine has 32GB).

Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to solve this?

Many thanks in advance for your insights,
Kind regards,

Geert

* Re: editing a file in a subversion controlled directory makes my emacs explode (almost)
@ 2015-10-27 15:59 ` Óscar Fuentes
       [not found] ` <mailman.1153.1445961578.7904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2015-10-27 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Geert Vermeiren <woozong@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I ran into this problem:
>
> When I open a file which is located in a subversion controlled
> directory (local working copy), emacs (24.5.1 on CentOs 6) seems to
> start doing a LOT of background stuff.
>
> It eats up processor resources, effectively making the system very
> sluggish, and RAM, up to and beyond physical memory (of which my
> machine has 32GB).
>
> Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to solve this?

Does it happen if you start emacs with

$ emacs -Q

? How big is the file you open? Which type it is? (C source code, XML,
etc)

@ 2015-10-27 16:32   ` Geert Vermeiren
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1155.1445964443.7904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Geert Vermeiren @ 2015-10-27 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 4:59:41 PM UTC+1, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Geert Vermeiren <woozong@gmail.com> writes:
> > When I open a file which is located in a subversion controlled
> > directory (local working copy), emacs (24.5.1 on CentOs 6) seems to
> > start doing a LOT of background stuff.
> >
> > It eats up processor resources, effectively making the system very
> > sluggish, and RAM, up to and beyond physical memory (of which my
> > machine has 32GB).
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to solve this?
>
> Does it happen if you start emacs with
>
> $ emacs -Q

It doesn't look like it.. I'll leave it open overnight and see if my system still lives in the morning ;-)

> ? How big is the file you open? Which type it is? (C source code, XML,
> etc)

The file opened is a maven build file (pom.xml), an xml file of 114KB.

* Re: editing a file in a subversion controlled directory makes my emacs explode (almost)
@ 2015-10-27 16:46     ` Óscar Fuentes
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1155.1445964443.7904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2015-10-27 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Geert Vermeiren <woozong@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 4:59:41 PM UTC+1, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>> Geert Vermeiren <woozong@gmail.com> writes:
>> > When I open a file which is located in a subversion controlled
>> > directory (local working copy), emacs (24.5.1 on CentOs 6) seems to
>> > start doing a LOT of background stuff.
>> >
>> > It eats up processor resources, effectively making the system very
>> > sluggish, and RAM, up to and beyond physical memory (of which my
>> > machine has 32GB).
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to solve this?
>>
>> Does it happen if you start emacs with
>>
>> $ emacs -Q
>
> It doesn't look like it.. I'll leave it open overnight and see if my
> system still lives in the morning ;-)

If the problem does not happen with -Q, there is something in your
configuration file that is causing it to show. You can try this
approach to pinpoint the culprit:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23772890/how-to-find-a-bug-in-emacs-or-init-el

[snip]

@ 2015-10-28  7:34       ` Geert Vermeiren
From: Geert Vermeiren @ 2015-10-28  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 5:47:26 PM UTC+1, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Geert Vermeiren <woozong@gmail.com> writes:

> >> Does it happen if you start emacs with
> >>
> >> $ emacs -Q
> >
> > It doesn't look like it.. I'll leave it open overnight and see if my
> > system still lives in the morning ;-)
>
> If the problem does not happen with -Q, there is something in your
> configuration file that is causing it to show. You can try this
> approach to pinpoint the culprit:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23772890/how-to-find-a-bug-in-emacs-or-init-el

Overnight, nothing happened when run with -Q.
I'll have a look at debugging my init.el

Thanks Óscar!