all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* inhibit-message, "Beginning of buffer" / "End of buffer" messages
@ 2015-12-24  9:18 John Magolske
From: John Magolske @ 2015-12-24  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I'd like to suppress the "Beginning of buffer" / "End of buffer"
messages that show up when the cursor in the minibuffer is moved all
the way to the left & all the way to the right. It seems that setting
"inhibit-message" might take care of this, but I'm having no luck with
entries like this in my init.el :

    (setq inhibit-message t)

...the "Beginning of buffer" / "End of buffer" messages still show up.

`C-h v inhibit-message RET` shows:

    inhibit-message is a variable defined in ‘C source code’.
    Its value is t

    Documentation:
    Non-nil means calls to ‘message’ are not displayed. They
    They are still logged to the *Messages* buffer.

Can "inhibit-message" suppress these messages in the minibuffer?
I understand it's a new functionality as of Emacs 25, which I've
installed from git:

    % /usr/local/bin/emacs --version
    ~/code/emacs-781770b4dcfe44b255e94e16479fd14633803640 1:01
    GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1

TIA for any advice,

John

--