all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#24584: 25.1; Without fringe-mode, search highlighting on long lines breaks
@ 2016-10-01 21:05 Dima Kogan
From: Dima Kogan @ 2016-10-01 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 24584

Hi.

I just found an unexpected interaction of fringe-mode and isearch. Let's
say you have the attached file (composed of random dictionary words on
two very long lines) called 'txt'. Then you

1. emacs -Q /tmp/txt
2. M-x toggle-truncate-lines
3. M-> (to go to end of buffer)
4. C-r threatened

As you type "threatened" letter by letter, you see the search jump to
the match, and the match is highlighted. This is correct. Now do

5. M-x fringe-mode no-fringes
6. M-> (to go to end of buffer)
7. C-r threatened

When you type "threatened" now, the behavior is correct through "th",
but when you hit "r", the buffer scrolls back to the beginning of the
line, and you can't see the match anymore.

I haven't done any debugging other than figuring out the exact thing
that makes it break: turning off fringe mode. If the exact cause isn't
obvious to somebody here, I'll debug it myself in a bit.

[-- Attachment #2: txt --]

videodisc tines Hohenzollern retiree blotchiest practitioners bopped preside dressings pumpkin Jeffry neurotically slimness haltering newsprint pancreatic jarred memorizes sharps communicators doltish erroneous bobwhite Keaton teed Vientiane Danubian Mediterranean crankcases mediaeval magnet equally room sleepy aplenty happily playing crofts reveals scuppered juxtapose awhile snowboards shepherded gigahertz switchbacks unlatched Methodist eve reiterating bedsides captures dampens reconditioning collages checkpoints arc concretely coddling globule scrapped woodcock waylaying appraises funiculars interrelations flattening trammelling lacquer blindness claim overexposes chammy odiously warily breathiest drouths duplicate stories dragoon numerating bootleggers enactment Leann qualifier imperative trending Sumeria basses timekeeper heaters popularization undershirts orthodoxy skateboarding huckster boatswains distaste criticizing grope Mecca unsettle wends Perkins Barrera insurgencies Figueroa mannequins sear poplar lipreads ambivalently limed Kasey unasked toboggan Gatling cannibalize thoughtless heterodoxy fricassee legatee Fourier recombining centralized formlessness payday declares Agricola mouthful dimensional containment mistakes prom meter ode predeceasing exhalations into scherzos resetting dominating Honda blotters stubbornly rallied succoring consultation chinchilla discoverer centipede Tom fowls sorehead Norwegian Hasbro Freeman appeals leaf Caracas windmilled Cotonou contagious starling altogether Dion floodlight decamping humaner billionaires solenoid Springfield doctrinaire yogin Sunbeam infelicities interleave Joliet Mich bemuse quitters attracted Dutchmen kleptomaniac Maurine threatened cramping Zionisms Cassatt dub menstruation perquisites ratchets lean highlights leaving lair motivate refinish journalism Gilgamesh proboscises overate epoxies soul scalene rhinestones belligerently statistically wakens Sucrets proving literature preachy

@ 2016-10-08  9:37 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-10-08  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dima Kogan; +Cc: 24584

> From: Dima Kogan <dima@secretsauce.net>
> Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2016 14:05:36 -0700
>
> 1. emacs -Q /tmp/txt
> 2. M-x toggle-truncate-lines
> 3. M-> (to go to end of buffer)
> 4. C-r threatened
>
> As you type "threatened" letter by letter, you see the search jump to
> the match, and the match is highlighted. This is correct. Now do
>
> 5. M-x fringe-mode no-fringes
> 6. M-> (to go to end of buffer)
> 7. C-r threatened
>
> When you type "threatened" now, the behavior is correct through "th",
> but when you hit "r", the buffer scrolls back to the beginning of the
> line, and you can't see the match anymore.

Should be fixed now on the emacs-25 branch, please test.

Thanks.

* bug#24584: 25.1; Without fringe-mode, search highlighting on long lines breaks
@ 2016-10-09 10:46   ` Dima Kogan
From: Dima Kogan @ 2016-10-09 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 24584

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Should be fixed now on the emacs-25 branch, please test.

That did it. Thanks!

From: Dima Kogan @ 2016-10-09 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 24584-done

Eli fixed it in 197a6bcc20cecba40b56ae478d42a33eb1e19d57