all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to get the list of modified files in VC?
@ 2017-07-25  5:32 Marcin Borkowski
       [not found] ` <CAKX+4G9FDhQOBuMJCnVoFGeVyX6eWOi_u1HuaPvaQLDzVUwEzw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2017-07-25  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw

Hi there,

I'm writing some code on top of VC.  I'd need to get the list of
modified files in the current repository.  How do I do that (other than
firing git as an external process)?

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski

* Re: How to get the list of modified files in VC?
@ 2017-07-25 14:26 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <CAKX+4G9FDhQOBuMJCnVoFGeVyX6eWOi_u1HuaPvaQLDzVUwEzw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-07-25 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl>
> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 07:32:50 +0200
>
> I'm writing some code on top of VC.  I'd need to get the list of
> modified files in the current repository.  How do I do that (other than
> firing git as an external process)?

I suggest to look at what vc-dir-refresh does, I'm sure some variant
of that is what you want.  The back-end call 'dir-status-files' is the
backbone of this.

@ 2017-07-25 17:19   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2017-07-25 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw

On 2017-07-25, at 13:41, Adam Taylor <mr.adtaylor@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are the magit functions: magit-staged-files and magit-unstaged-files
> might fit the bill.

Thanks, but I'd really prefer to stay within VC this time (while I do
have Magit, I cannot assume other people do, and I'm writing something
not only for myself).

Still, I'm cc'ing this to the list in case someone might find it useful.

@ 2017-07-26 18:51   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2017-07-26 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2017-07-25, at 16:26, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl>
>> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 07:32:50 +0200
>>
>> I'm writing some code on top of VC.  I'd need to get the list of
>> modified files in the current repository.  How do I do that (other than
>> firing git as an external process)?
>
> I suggest to look at what vc-dir-refresh does, I'm sure some variant
> of that is what you want.  The back-end call 'dir-status-files' is the
> backbone of this.

Thanks, but I still have questions.  I learned about
vc-BACKEND-dir-status-files functions, but I don't really understand how
to use one.  And they are not extremely well documented...

This is not a huge problem - I can always just run git directly - but
I wanted to do it "the right way";-).

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski