all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* wgrep.el does not work on Emacs 26
@ 2018-02-25 17:51 Lele Gaifax
From: Lele Gaifax @ 2018-02-25 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

since some time now wgrep[*] does not work anymore in my Emacs 26
installation.

I cannot be 100% sure, but I seem to remember it used to work with that
version (I recompile my Emacs every month or so, refreshing its sources from
the repository).

Today I tried to dig into the issue, but with no luck. I then compiled an
Emacs 25 just to test it, and no surprise, there it works as expected.

On Emacs 26, its standard keybinding C-c C-p (wgrep-change-to-wgrep-mode) does
not alter the buffer readonly state, but even when toggling it manually with
C-x C-q the *grep* buffer remains unmodifiable; when I tried setting
inhibit-read-only to t, I was able to change its content, but applying the
changes with C-c C-e (wgrep-finish-edit) emits only the message "(No changes
to be performed)"...

I noticed that the normal wgrep behaviour of using a "green" face for the
modifications (that is, when in wgrep-mode, altering the matched lines makes
them appear with a green background...) does not happen neither.

Any hint on where to dig deeper, or on alternative to wgrep?

Thanks in advance,
ciao, lele.

[*] https://github.com/mhayashi1120/Emacs-wgrep
lele@metapensiero.it  |                 -- Fortunato Depero, 1929.

* Re: wgrep.el does not work on Emacs 26
@ 2018-02-25 20:05 ` John Shahid
From: John Shahid @ 2018-02-25 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lele Gaifax; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I do not have trouble using wgrep with the emacs-26 branch (commit
71243f0b13). I use straight which clones wgrep locally. If you're
interested I'm currently using commit 1cdd7c1 of wgrep. That said, I
didn't notice any problems using wgrep with emacs-26 since I switched to
emacs-26 many months ago.

which version of wgrep are you using ?

cheers,

-js

@ 2018-02-25 21:21   ` Lele Gaifax
From: Lele Gaifax @ 2018-02-25 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

John Shahid <jvshahid@gmail.com> writes:

> I do not have trouble using wgrep with the emacs-26 branch (commit
> 71243f0b13).

Uhm, very strange. My emacs-repository-version says 47aa85c7, and I'm going to
refresh it right now.

Just to be sure, do you mean that doing the following steps within an "emacs -q":

- M-x load-file wgrep.el
- M-x grep
- C-c C-p

you obtain a modifiable buffer with the grep result, and a C-c C-e does apply
the changes?

> which version of wgrep are you using ?

Usually the one from MELPA, that is almost the same as the 1cdd7c1 straight
from the repository. I tried with both, with the same result.

ciao, lele.

@ 2018-02-25 22:25     ` Lele Gaifax
From: Lele Gaifax @ 2018-02-25 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lele Gaifax <lele@metapensiero.it> writes:

> John Shahid <jvshahid@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I do not have trouble using wgrep with the emacs-26 branch (commit
>> 71243f0b13).
>
> Uhm, very strange. My emacs-repository-version says 47aa85c7, and I'm going to
> refresh it right now.

I'm now at your same commit, and doing this:

> Just to be sure, do you mean that doing the following steps within an "emacs -q":
>
> - M-x load-file wgrep.el
> - M-x grep
> - C-c C-p

I end in a *grep* buffer that is *not* in read-only mode, but where I can't
change its content.

ciao, lele.

@ 2018-02-26  2:05       ` John Shahid
From: John Shahid @ 2018-02-26  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lele Gaifax; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

It turns out I use ag instead of grep which works as expected. For
clarity, I'm replacing the grep command with "ag --nogroup something"
and the resulting buffer works fine with wgrep. If I use the default
grep command "grep -nH --null something" then I'm able to reproduce the
issue you're reporting. Unfortunately I don't have time right now to dig
deeper into this.

@ 2018-02-26  8:08         ` Lele Gaifax
From: Lele Gaifax @ 2018-02-26  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

John Shahid <jvshahid@gmail.com> writes:

> It turns out I use ag instead of grep which works as expected. For
> clarity, I'm replacing the grep command with "ag --nogroup something"
> and the resulting buffer works fine with wgrep. If I use the default
> grep command "grep -nH --null something" then I'm able to reproduce the
> issue you're reporting.

Ah, good hint, it suggested me a different POV: it's the "--null" flag to grep
that make the difference, if I remove that from the command line execute by
M-x grep then wgrep works!

I will dig this further, trying to figure out how that --null is handled.

thank you&ciao,
lele.
lele@metapensiero.it  |                 -- Fortunato Depero, 1929.