Michael Albinus writes: > "Basil L. Contovounesios" writes: > >> What is the best way to determine whether notifications are supported by >> the current Emacs instance? I skimmed through (info "(dbus) Top") and >> (info "(elisp) Desktop Notifications"), as well as through the syms of >> dbusbind.c, dbus.el, and notifications.el, but did not find any clear >> answers. > > (featurep 'dbusbind) > > checks, whether Emacs is configured to use D-Bus. This does not > necessarily tells you that notifications are supported, but it gives you > a strong indication for this. Thanks, I somehow missed this check littered all over the place. > You could also wrap the call of notifications-notify by dbus-ignore-errors. > > A better check would be to ping notifications-service, but this should > be done inside notifications.el, if needed. Indeed, these two alternatives sound like the responsibility of notifications.el, not its users. The patch I proposed does not change existing behaviour of gnus-notifications.el in this regard. However, I'm not sure what the best thing to do in notifications-notify is. So far, it has returned nil for any type of error (unless debug-on-error is non-nil), thanks to its use of with-demoted-errors. Would it be too backward-incompatible to change this to dbus-ignore-errors or pinging notifications-service, as you say? If so, how's the following docfix instead?