all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Is Gnus mailing list active?
@ 2019-11-15 20:07 Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2019-11-15 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

sending email to ding-request@gnus.org. It bounced back. I was changing
my email-ID on all the mailing lists.

Then, I looked at the website gnus.org. It shows Debian default apache2
page. The Gnus website is no longer visible.

Where are Gnus discussion happening? Here help-gnu-emacs or still at
ding@gnus.org?

Regards,
--
Pankaj Jangid

@ 2019-11-15 21:05 ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2019-11-15 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pankaj Jangid <p4j@j4d.net> writes:

> sending email to ding-request@gnus.org. It bounced back. I was changing
> my email-ID on all the mailing lists.

It seems to be working.  I just sent an email to ding-request@gnus.org
with the body “subscribe ding” (without the surrounding double-quotes)
and received instructions for confirming my subscription, which I did,
and it seemed to have worked.

> Then, I looked at the website gnus.org. It shows Debian default apache2
> page. The Gnus website is no longer visible.

I can confirm.  Lars, could you please look into this?

> Where are Gnus discussion happening? Here help-gnu-emacs or still at
> ding@gnus.org?

It seems there are primarily two lists now:

- ding@gnus.org, mirrored to gmane.emacs.gnus.general on Gmane, and
- info-gnus-english@gnu.org, mirrored to gmane.emacs.gnus.user on Gmane.

I think I’d seen a mention of info-gnus somewhere at some point, but I
can’t find that anywhere anymore.  There’s also a ding-announce@gnus.org
(gmane.emacs.gnus.announce), but it hasn’t had a post in >3 years now.

* Re: Is Gnus mailing list active?
@ 2019-11-16  2:18   ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2019-11-16  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Then, I looked at the website gnus.org. It shows Debian default apache2
>> page. The Gnus website is no longer visible.
> I can confirm.  Lars, could you please look into this?

Thanks for confirming, and mentioning Lars.

>> Where are Gnus discussion happening? Here help-gnu-emacs or still at
>> ding@gnus.org?
> It seems there are primarily two lists now:
> - ding@gnus.org, mirrored to gmane.emacs.gnus.general on Gmane, and
> - info-gnus-english@gnu.org, mirrored to gmane.emacs.gnus.user on Gmane.

Thanks for this info.

Off-topic though, but may I know which (free, as in beer) nntp servers
people generally use to access gmane?

Regards,
--
Pankaj Jangid

@ 2019-11-16  2:50     ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2019-11-16  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pankaj Jangid <p4j@j4d.net> writes:

[...]
> Thanks for confirming, and mentioning Lars.
[...]
> Thanks for this info.

Cheers.

> Off-topic though, but may I know which (free, as in beer) nntp servers
> people generally use to access gmane?
>
> Regards,

Sure; I use news.gmane.org.  Gmane’s web interfaces are no longer
available, but the newsgroups are still accessible via nntp.  Though,
sadly without some of the features it once had, like searching.

Best,
amin

* Re: Is Gnus mailing list active?
@ 2019-11-16  3:55   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-11-16  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org> writes:

>> Then, I looked at the website gnus.org. It shows Debian default apache2
>> page. The Gnus website is no longer visible.
>
> I can confirm.  Lars, could you please look into this?

It works for me, but perhaps there's an ipv6/ipv4 issue?  I've only got
ipv4 here, but the server probably supports ivp6, too, but I can't
really test.

I've tried tweaking the apache setup -- does it work now for you?

@ 2019-11-16  4:15     ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2019-11-16  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]
> It works for me, but perhaps there's an ipv6/ipv4 issue?  I've only got
> ipv4 here, but the server probably supports ivp6, too, but I can't
> really test.
>
> I've tried tweaking the apache setup -- does it work now for you?

Ah, quite possibly!  Before your change, I’d started getting the default
apache page when visiting gnus.org recently, most likely due to ipv6 not
being set up on it.  I can confirm that visiting gnus.org now works as
expected and I don’t see the default apache site anymore.

Thanks for the quick fix, Lars. :)

* Re: Is Gnus mailing list active?
@ 2019-11-16  4:22       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-11-16  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org> writes:

> Ah, quite possibly!  Before your change, I’d started getting the default
> apache page when visiting gnus.org recently, most likely due to ipv6 not
> being set up on it.  I can confirm that visiting gnus.org now works as
> expected and I don’t see the default apache site anymore.

Thanks for testing.

It's weird that you can't just say

<VirtualHost *:443>

but have to enumerate the IP addresses when you're in ipv6 land?  So
this works:

<VirtualHost 95.216.78.240:443 [2a01:4f9:2b:f0f::2]:443>

But that's rather painful.  Hm.  I wonder whether it would work with

<VirtualHost *:443 [::]:443>

or something?  Anybody know?  Debugging stuff without being able to test
is painful...

@ 2019-11-16 10:08   ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2019-11-16 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> sending email to ding-request@gnus.org. It bounced back. I was changing
>> my email-ID on all the mailing lists.
> It seems to be working.  I just sent an email to ding-request@gnus.org
> with the body “subscribe ding” (without the surrounding double-quotes)
> and received instructions for confirming my subscription, which I did,
> and it seemed to have worked.

The listserv thinks that my request could be spam. This is what I
get. Look at the Received-SPF header. I have SPF and DKIM configured for
my domain (at the service provider - zoho).

To: Pankaj Jangid <p4j@j4d.net>
Subject: Majordomo results: subscribe ding
From: majordomo-owner@lists.math.uh.edu
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:00:16 -0600

Stopping at signature separator.  No more commands will be processed.

@ 2019-11-16 10:50       ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2019-11-16 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org> writes:
>> Off-topic though, but may I know which (free, as in beer) nntp servers
>> people generally use to access gmane?
> Sure; I use news.gmane.org.  Gmane’s web interfaces are no longer
> available, but the newsgroups are still accessible via nntp.  Though,
> sadly without some of the features it once had, like searching.

Thanks.

BTW, gnus.org website is working for me now (after, ipv4, ipv6 setup by
Lars).

--
Pankaj Jangid

@ 2019-11-16 13:27     ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2019-11-16 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The listserv thinks that my request could be spam. [...]

Just i did test a few minutes ago.
It works for me [1].

Sincerely,

[1]
https://gitlab.com/soyeomul/Gnus/blob/master/ss/IMG_20191116_221622_resized_20191116_101716789.jpg

--
^고맙습니다 _地平天成_ 감사합니다_^))//

@ 2019-11-16 13:37     ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2019-11-16 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> sending email to ding-request@gnus.org. It bounced back. I was changing
>>> my email-ID on all the mailing lists.
>> It seems to be working.  I just sent an email to ding-request@gnus.org
>> with the body “subscribe ding” (without the surrounding double-quotes)
>> and received instructions for confirming my subscription, which I did,
>> and it seemed to have worked.
>
> The listserv thinks that my request could be spam. This is what I
> get. Look at the Received-SPF header. I have SPF and DKIM configured for
> my domain (at the service provider - zoho).

[...]

Ah, yes, Zoho is known to have a problematic SPF/DKIM setup.  I don’t
remember all the details, but I do know other Zoho users were having
issues with using this very mailing list at one point or another,
e.g. see https://lists.gnu.org/r/help-gnu-emacs/2019-05/msg00481.html
(and its surrounding messages) for some context/explanation about this.
IIRC, Zoho didn’t seem inclined to fix their settings.

* Re: Is Gnus mailing list active?
@ 2019-11-16 15:26       ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2019-11-16 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org> writes:
> Ah, yes, Zoho is known to have a problematic SPF/DKIM setup.  I don’t
> remember all the details, but I do know other Zoho users were having
> issues with using this very mailing list at one point or another,
> e.g. see https://lists.gnu.org/r/help-gnu-emacs/2019-05/msg00481.html
> (and its surrounding messages) for some context/explanation about this.
> IIRC, Zoho didn’t seem inclined to fix their settings.

Okay. I didn't know this. Let me configure some other SMTP server
then.

BTW, Zoho's IMAP is working really fast though. Almost like local
server.

Regards,
--
Pankaj Jangid

@ 2019-11-16 15:26       ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2019-11-16 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

soyeomul@doraji.xyz (황병희) writes:
>> The listserv thinks that my request could be spam. [...]
> Just i did test a few minutes ago.
> It works for me [1].
> https://gitlab.com/soyeomul/Gnus/blob/master/ss/IMG_20191116_221622_resized_20191116_101716789.jpg

The issue is with Zoho SMTP, as pointed out by Amin.

Regards,
--
Pankaj Jangid

@ 2019-11-19  4:45         ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2019-11-19  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Ah, yes, Zoho is known to have a problematic SPF/DKIM setup.  I don’t
>> remember all the details, but I do know other Zoho users were having
>> issues with using this very mailing list at one point or another,...
> Okay. I didn't know this. Let me configure some other SMTP server
> then.

Even after configuring AWS SES as my SMTP I am still facing issues
subscribing to Gnus mailing list. I am getting this reply when I send
email to ding-request@gnus.org with subject "subscribe" without quotes:

```
To: Pankaj Jangid <p4j@j4d.net>
From: majordomo-owner@lists.math.uh.edu
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 22:26:20 -0600

Stopping at signature separator.  No more commands will be processed.
```

What could be wrong at my end? Is it the MX server at zoho that is
intercepting the emails?

Regards,
--
Pankaj Jangid

@ 2019-11-19  4:52           ` Amin Bandali
       [not found]             ` <m24kz0l69y.fsf@j4d.net>
From: Amin Bandali @ 2019-11-19  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pankaj Jangid <p4j@j4d.net> writes:

[...]
> Even after configuring AWS SES as my SMTP I am still facing issues
> subscribing to Gnus mailing list. I am getting this reply when I send
> email to ding-request@gnus.org with subject "subscribe" without quotes:

[...]
> What could be wrong at my end? Is it the MX server at zoho that is
> intercepting the emails?
>
> Regards,

What was the body of your email?  I don’t think
the subject matters in this case, but the body
should have “subscribe ding” (without quotes)
in it.  Did you try that?

* Re: Is Gnus mailing list active?
@ 2019-11-19  6:38             ` Pankaj Jangid
       [not found]             ` <m24kz0l69y.fsf@j4d.net>
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2019-11-19  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Even after configuring AWS SES as my SMTP I am still facing issues
>> subscribing to Gnus mailing list. I am getting this reply when I send
>> email to ding-request@gnus.org with subject "subscribe" without quotes:
>>
> [...]
>>
>> What could be wrong at my end? Is it the MX server at zoho that is
>> intercepting the emails?
>>
>> Regards,
>
> What was the body of your email?  I don’t think
> the subject matters in this case, but the body
> should have “subscribe ding” (without quotes)
> in it.  Did you try that?

Yes I tried "subscribe ding" (without quotes only). The body of email is
just these lines

```

Stopping at signature separator.  No more commands will be processed.
```

without triple back quotes.

Regards
--
Pankaj Jangid

@ 2019-11-19  7:08               ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2019-11-19  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pankaj Jangid <p4j@j4d.net> writes:

[...]
> Yes I tried "subscribe ding" (without quotes only). The body of email is
> just these lines
>
> ```

> Stopping at signature separator.  No more commands will be processed.
> ```
>
> without triple back quotes.
>
> Regards

Hmm, taking at a closer look at the email you
posted earlier, looking at the Received-SPF and
Authentication-Results headers, I still see
mentions of Zoho.  So it may indeed be that
you’re still sending your email through Zoho,
or e.g. if you use a custom domain with Zoho,
your DNS records may still be set up for Zoho.

If you’re 100% sure you’re not sending through
Zoho, in that case I have no idea.  Perhaps you
could ask Lars to manually subscribe you to the
list.

-amin

* Re: Is Gnus mailing list active?
@ 2019-11-19 11:44               ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2019-11-19 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Yes I tried "subscribe ding" (without quotes only). [...]

Or you just check something by <check-auth2@verifier.port25.com>. Then
if there is some problem thing you move another email service provider.

Sincerely,

--
^고맙습니다 _地平天成_ 감사합니다_^))//

From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2019-11-19 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> What was the body of your email?  I don’t think
>> the subject matters in this case, but the body
>> should have “subscribe ding” (without quotes)
>> in it.  Did you try that?

Finally, I got to know that ding-request@gnus.org require one to send
"subscribe" string (without quotes) in the *body*. Huh! So much
diversity in mailing list software.

Regards,
--
Pankaj Jangid

From: Amin Bandali @ 2019-11-19 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pankaj Jangid <p4j@j4d.net> writes:

[...]
> Finally, I got to know that ding-request@gnus.org require one to send
> "subscribe" string (without quotes) in the *body*. Huh! So much
> diversity in mailing list software.

Yes, that’s what I’ve been trying to convey in
my earlier messages! :D  The list software used
there is different from mailman (used for GNU
lists).  It’s fairly strict with respect to its
accepted input(s), including the formatting and
in which part of the email they’re found in.

* [Q] What is this?
@ 2019-11-25  5:25                 ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2019-11-25  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

When i open work files, i see some screen[1] by accident key
control. What is the default value? It is serious to me.

Sincerely,

[1] https://gitlab.com/soyeomul/stuff/blob/master/IMG_20191125_141210_resized_20191125_021258632.jpg

--
^고맙습니다 _地平天成_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: [Q] What is this?
@ 2019-11-25  5:34                   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2019-11-25  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

soyeomul wrote:

> When i open work files, i see some screen[1] by
> accident key control.

Hint: You can use `view-lossage' (M-x ... RET,
or hit `C-h l') to try to figure out what keys
you accidentally hit.

> https://gitlab.com/soyeomul/stuff/blob/master/IMG_20191125_141210_resized_20191125_021258632.jpg

That's not an image, and the image found by
following it isn't a JPEG but a GIF.
Somethings up...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: [Q] What is this?
@ 2019-11-25  5:44                     ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2019-11-25  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> soyeomul wrote:
>
>> When i open work files, i see some screen[1] by
>> accident key control.
>
> Hint: You can use `view-lossage' (M-x ... RET,
> or hit `C-h l') to try to figure out what keys
> you accidentally hit.

Oh,,, Emanuel it is so amazing! Thanks^^^

>> https://gitlab.com/soyeomul/stuff/blob/master/IMG_20191125_141210_resized_20191125_021258632.jpg
>
> That's not an image, and the image found by
> following it isn't a JPEG but a GIF.
> Somethings up...

Sincerely,

--