all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* commit f52dcfd03ad5 ("New command `gnus-summary-browse-all-urls' bound to "v"")
@ 2022-03-15  7:59 Štěpán Němec
From: Štěpán Němec @ 2022-03-15  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Sam Steingold

From (info "(gnus) Summary Buffer"):

  The key ‘v’ is reserved for users.  You can bind it to some command
  or better use it as a prefix key.

"v" is the only alphabetic key that is/was supposed to be free for Gnus
users to bind without having to consider possible conflicts with default
bindings.

I've been taking advantage of that, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only
one.

--
Štěpán

* Re: commit f52dcfd03ad5 ("New command `gnus-summary-browse-all-urls' bound to "v"")
@ 2022-03-15  8:10 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-03-15  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Štěpán Němec; +Cc: Sam Steingold, emacs-devel

    Štěpán> From (info "(gnus) Summary Buffer"):

    Štěpán>   The key ‘v’ is reserved for users.  You can bind it to some command
    Štěpán>   or better use it as a prefix key.

    Štěpán> "v" is the only alphabetic key that is/was supposed to be free for Gnus
    Štěpán> users to bind without having to consider possible conflicts with default
    Štěpán> bindings.

    Štěpán> I've been taking advantage of that, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only
    Štěpán> one.

Yes. Would it not be better to bind this to 'C-u C-u w' and 'C-u C-u A w'?

Robert

* Re: commit f52dcfd03ad5 ("New command `gnus-summary-browse-all-urls' bound to "v"")
@ 2022-03-15  8:22   ` Štěpán Němec
From: Štěpán Němec @ 2022-03-15  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: Sam Steingold, emacs-devel

On Tue, 15 Mar 2022 09:10:14 +0100
Robert Pluim wrote:

>     Štěpán> From (info "(gnus) Summary Buffer"):
>
>     Štěpán>   The key ‘v’ is reserved for users.  You can bind it to some command
>     Štěpán>   or better use it as a prefix key.
>
>     Štěpán> "v" is the only alphabetic key that is/was supposed to be free for Gnus
>     Štěpán> users to bind without having to consider possible conflicts with default
>     Štěpán> bindings.
>
>     Štěpán> I've been taking advantage of that, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only
>     Štěpán> one.
>
> Yes. Would it not be better to bind this to 'C-u C-u w' and 'C-u C-u A w'?

Given that a single `C-u' modifies `w' behaviour (makes it use an
alternative browser) in a way that could be valid for the new command as
well, I don't think this would be a good default, either.

IMHO there is no particular need for a default binding for this command
at all.

Maybe just mention the new command in the `w' doc string to make it
easier for users to find (and/or bind) if interested?

--

@ 2022-03-15  8:45     ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-03-15  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Štěpán Němec; +Cc: Sam Steingold, emacs-devel

    Štěpán> On Tue, 15 Mar 2022 09:10:14 +0100
    Štěpán> Robert Pluim wrote:

    Štěpán> From (info "(gnus) Summary Buffer"):

    Štěpán> The key ‘v’ is reserved for users.  You can bind it to some command
    Štěpán> or better use it as a prefix key.

    Štěpán> "v" is the only alphabetic key that is/was supposed to be free for Gnus
    Štěpán> users to bind without having to consider possible conflicts with default
    Štěpán> bindings.

    Štěpán> I've been taking advantage of that, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only
    Štěpán> one.

    >> Yes. Would it not be better to bind this to 'C-u C-u w' and 'C-u C-u A w'?

    Štěpán> Given that a single `C-u' modifies `w' behaviour (makes it use an
    Štěpán> alternative browser) in a way that could be valid for the new command as
    Štěpán> well, I don't think this would be a good default, either.

Well, you could put that combination on 'C-u C-u C-u w' ;-)

    Štěpán> IMHO there is no particular need for a default binding for this command
    Štěpán> at all.

    Štěpán> Maybe just mention the new command in the `w' doc string to make it
    Štěpán> easier for users to find (and/or bind) if interested?

Sounds good to me.

Robert