all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
To: Daniele Nicolodi <daniele@grinta.net>
Cc: Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Easy way to make Emacs look more "modern"
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 09:10:10 +0800	[thread overview]

Daniele Nicolodi <daniele@grinta.net> writes:

> I know that the matter is very subjective (and maybe a similar
> suggestion has been discussed already, although I don't remember
> seeing anything like this) but I would like to suggest what I think is
> an easy way to refresh the look of Emacs and adapt it to the 2020ies
> taste :-)
>
> I think the Emacs default theme is extremely well curated. However,
> the mode-line has an outdated feel to me. I recently reconfigured it
> just slightly and I thing the look of Emacs improves significantly.

I tried the modifications you attached here, and it doesn't really
appeal to me as particularly modern.  It's not bad either, though.

What would actually be an improvement would be to make NS and W32 draw
boxes with a relief in the "pretty" way that X, PGTK and Haiku do.  Does
anyone want to work on this?  The relevant canonical code is in
`x_draw_relief_rect', but if you're porting it to another platform I
think `haiku_draw_relief_rect' would be easier to understand.

> I would also like to give some more air (padding) to the minibuffer,
> but I haven't found a way to do that in the 10 minutes that I looked
> at it.

That would waste precious screen space, wouldn't it?

Thanks.